Next medication?

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I currently take 4 x 500mg of metformin and 2 x 80 of gliclazide.
I have just had my HbA1c done & had a phone call from my gp receptionist who has booked me a phone consultation to discuss my results.
I know that my diabetes is not well managed and I'm sure my results will be high, could anyone with experience of the same medication tell me what medication they were put on next?
Or was it insulin next? I know my gp & diabetic nurse will work out what's best for me but I have over a week to wait to speak to them so was just curious?
Any feedback would be great! Tia Lou

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I know my gp & diabetic nurse will work out what's best for me but I have over a week to wait to speak to them so was just curious?
I believe the max dose of gliclazide is 320mg per day so they may just up that.

Reactions: Loukay1

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It probably depends on the timeline as well as how well you are managing your diabetes, ie when was the last adjustment to your meds. And of course what you eat.
Do you know how many carbs you eat a day?

Reactions: Loukay1

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It probably depends on the timeline as well as how well you are managing your diabetes, ie when was the last adjustment to your meds. And of course what you eat.
Do you know how many carbs you eat a day?
I don't count carbs but I am watching my diet, I've slowly lost over 3 stone in the last 2 years, I've been diabetic for over 4 years and my medication was last changed a year ago, thanks

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't count carbs, I have tried several times to eat low carb but I find it impossible and generally miserable but I do watch my diet, thanks

Completely your call of course, it's your body & if you're happy to go down the pharmaceutical route I wish you luck & health.
There is another way however.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I currently take 4 x 500mg of metformin and 2 x 80 of gliclazide.
I have just had my HbA1c done & had a phone call from my gp receptionist who has booked me a phone consultation to discuss my results.
I know that my diabetes is not well managed and I'm sure my results will be high, could anyone with experience of the same medication tell me what medication they were put on next?
Or was it insulin next? I know my gp & diabetic nurse will work out what's best for me but I have over a week to wait to speak to them so was just curious?
Any feedback would be great! Tia Lou
Do you have access to your medical history online, that could have the results and may help the picture

Drugs next are between you and your nurse/doctor. From my experience there are many drugs they can try and moving to insulin is something I have found they try to hold as last resort, but there is a view on progression leading to insulin eventually.

If you don't change something else be it diet (lower carb maybe) or losing weight if needed then it seems highly likely insulin will be the eventual end point. Drugs like you have will only go so far, I saw this in myself, and you already highlighted it isn't well controlled...

Insulin can work well and does for many people, type 2s often have a way to hold off, or never need but it needs changes. (Obviously that's where it's not late onset T1 or alternative condition) It will have an impact on your life, it's your choice as to whether you move in that direction

Good luck and when you have an answer you can then if you want see suggestions on here for potential impact of the change as there is a lot of experience as to things to watch for. We won't tell you what to do, but knowing potential impacts are helpful sometimes I think

Reactions: EllieM