Type 1 Hormones and Type 1

VickyT1

Hi everyone - a question for all the ladies! Can I ask if your blood sugars rise dramatically during your period? Mine is high a few days before and then all the way through. I have just been advised to bring this down with my bolus insulin. I have read a few messages around this on the forum and most people seem to experience a rise a few days before but once their period starts it seems to come back down. Mine does come down with the bolus insulin but then rises high again an hour or so later. Even exercise doesn’t seem to bring it down for long. I was only diagnosed in March so this is all very new to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep I do but I also have an autoimmune disease related to my cycle. Sometimes it’s enough to increase my basal as I get prolonged rises even when not eating.

This can last the duration of my period as well as the week before but it’s hard for me to tell if it’s just normal hormone related or my progesterone allergy.

Try tracking it for a few months & see what works for you.

Reactions: EllieM

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Vicky, I have high blood sugar before my period and sometimes for a day or so into it then can spend a few days hypo. It’s all very frustrating and I can’t see any pattern, changes every month grrr. I think there are apps you can track your cycle with, apparently there can also be higher blood sugar days mid cycle. I think some women adjust their basal insulin if they know when they are going to go higher - with a few months data you could maybe recognise a pattern and discuss with your diabetes team. I’m on Tresiba so that would be tricky to adjust - especially as each month is so random for me!
I tend to eat slightly lower carb during the higher blood sugar days of my cycle, and make correction doses as I go x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone, mine can be high for a few days before but the day before and then for the first few days I constantly hypo its a nightmare. I seriously hate being diabetic!

Reactions: JMoli

VickyT1

Thanks everyone for your replies - it’s an extra trial to deal with eh! I am writing all my readings etc down so I’ll see what patterns emerge over the next few months. Good to know this is normal though. I’ll try eating lower carbs on these days too and then do the correction doses. Thanks again x x

Reactions: JMoli

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks everyone for your replies - it’s an extra trial to deal with eh! I am writing all my readings etc down so I’ll see what patterns emerge over the next few months. Good to know this is normal though. I’ll try eating lower carbs on these days too and then do the correction doses. Thanks again x x
Its a common pattern. My only comment would be why not increase the basal so that you won't be chasing your tail with correction bolus doses. I appreciate this goes against what you've been told by the medics so do discuss if you get the chance. For example I have a PMT basal rate (pump) which adds on 25%. Works if you have a predictable cycle !

Reactions: VickyT1

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My consultant told me to increase my basal when BGs rose before a period and reduce on first day of period, when BGs fell.

Reactions: VickyT1

VickyT1

I’m seeing my consultant for the first time this month so going to ask his advice on this too. Thanks for mentioning that.