Numb toes

Shelber

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good afternoon,

This probably a me driving myself crazy question. I was diagnosed in late March with type 2 diabetes. My next appointment is in July and I can wait until then, but these last two days my pinky toe gets numb intermittently, and I am just worried it could be that neuropathy that I read about. I was just wondering if anyone has similar issues and what helps.

I have some mental health disorders that can make my body mimic systems. Basically new to this and a little scared.

Thank you

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think many of us were scared to varying degrees when we got diagnosed. We're all different.
For me, it scared me into a change of lifestyle. Low carbohydrate diet and more exercise. (I'd already given up smoking)
The feet are one area that may be affected by diabetes but decent management of the condition can alleviate and even reverse symptoms. So try not to worry too much.
Are you getting any (proper) advice on diet and lifestyle? A sympathetic diabetic nurse for example. You'll get plenty of advice on here, and support. Many people have really turned themselves around.
It helps to know perhaps that there are thousands in a similar position as you.
One avenue may be to see if you can get to see a podiatrist and get your feet checked. I got a lot of help and reassurance.
The mental health side of things I don't know about, but maybe if you can start to reassure yourself about the purely physical side, it may help all round.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good afternoon,

This probably a me driving myself crazy question. I was diagnosed in late March with type 2 diabetes. My next appointment is in July and I can wait until then, but these last two days my pinky toe gets numb intermittently, and I am just worried it could be that neuropathy that I read about. I was just wondering if anyone has similar issues and what helps.

I have some mental health disorders that can make my body mimic systems. Basically new to this and a little scared.

Thank you
Hiya. Well, it could be neuropathy but it could be other things. Nobody on here can or should diagnose what it is. I have a little neuropathy, much better than it used to be, so don't be thinking neuropathy (if that's what it is) is progressive and inescapable. As T2s we need to take care of our feet anyway. The best thing I found to reduce symptoms was to reduce carbs and get my blood glucose under control. Good luck!

Reactions: Shelber