Invokana (canagliflozin)

WilliamWindle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Recovery and Relaxation...
Just been prescribed Invokana (canagliflozin) by my local hospital and after reading about this drugs side affects such as lower limb amputation and Fournier’s Gangrene makes me feel like NOT to start taking this medication.

Are there members who are also prescribed this drug ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you thought of changing what you eat rather than taking more and different medications?

Depending on your doctor they may well not know much about low carb eating but I'd try that first before going onto tnew medications.. especially one with such unpleasant side effects.

Reactions: WilliamWindle

WilliamWindle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Will give that a try... Thank You....

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spiders, long walks in the countryside
I take this drug. I was prescribed it on diagnosis but decided against taking it for a while as I'd been advised by people here that it didn't mix well with a keto diet (risk of ketoacidosis).

After a couple of months I changed my mind, partly in fear of annoying the nurse (personal anxiety issues) but I'll admit I did like the idea of being able to add a bit more carb to my diet. I've been taking them for about 6 months now, and honestly the only side effect I've seen is an increase in frequency of urination - although that is also linked to the increase in fluids I'm taking on as good hydration while taking this drug is key. My BG is in a happy place and so far things are good. I do check myself regularly for signs of anything that might cause alarm.

Reactions: AndrewMacdonald

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on one of it's sister drugs (dapagliflozin) for 5+ years, with absolutely no problems. My only advise is to drink, drink, then drink some more, to reduce the risk of UTI's at 1st you'll never be away from the loo, but your body does get used to being more hydrated,

WilliamWindle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I take this drug. I was prescribed it on diagnosis but decided against taking it for a while as I'd been advised by people here that it didn't mix well with a keto diet (risk of ketoacidosis).

After a couple of months I changed my mind, partly in fear of annoying the nurse (personal anxiety issues) but I'll admit I did like the idea of being able to add a bit more carb to my diet. I've been taking them for about 6 months now, and honestly the only side effect I've seen is an increase in frequency of urination - although that is also linked to the increase in fluids I'm taking on as good hydration while taking this drug is key. My BG is in a happy place and so far things are good. I do check myself regularly for signs of anything that might cause alarm.

Do you take any other Diabetic meds ?

WilliamWindle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've been on one of it's sister drugs (dapagliflozin) for 5+ years, with absolutely no problems. My only advise is to drink, drink, then drink some more, to reduce the risk of UTI's at 1st you'll never be away from the loo, but your body does get used to being more hydrated,

I must make an effort to drink more water..

Pete1974

Just been prescribed Invokana (canagliflozin) by my local hospital and after reading about this drugs side affects such as lower limb amputation and Fournier’s Gangrene makes me feel like NOT to start taking this medication.

Are there members who are also prescribed this drug ?

I have been on it for about 6 months it’s worked good for me lost some weight bs are good only side effect I have is I go to the toilet a lot at night