Omnipod Dash & Reducing post meal spikes

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi, looking for a bit of help. I am new to using insulin pump & CGM. I've been using omnipod dash & libre 2 for six weeks now. I have made great improvements in the last week & have managed to maintain a good BG level. Lots n lots of trial & error though. I am have one post meal food spike after my lunch, normally around 3pm, spike of 12ish but its not happening after dinner in the evening. Today I set a higher basal for 90 mins from 12.30pm to 2.00pm to try & reduce the spike but it didn't make any difference.
Does anyone else have any hints or tips that has worked for them?
Thanks

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not a Dash user, but you should not really use basal to permanently fix an after meal spike, only temporary.

First is to check your levels after lunch without eating - to see if they rise, if they don't then its your meal bolus you need to adjust, if they do rise then you need to adjust starting around an hour prior to the rise.

If it is your meal causing it - then try bolusing before you eat (as much as 30 mins can be used), and try spreading the rest over a given time say 1.5 hrs or maybe longer. You should have settings that allow you to adjust your bolus so you can undertake this.

Just because your lunch does it but your tea does not, could be related to so many factors, your bodies reaction (different needs at different times of day), types of food eaten, types of energy used after eating......... it goes on and on.

My levels for bolus are different throughout the day and my meal adjustments also differ as well as my correction levels - I would say don't expect Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner to be identical ;-)

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
I'm not a Dash user, but you should not really use basal to permanently fix an after meal spike, only temporary.

First is to check your levels after lunch without eating - to see if they rise, if they don't then its your meal bolus you need to adjust, if they do rise then you need to adjust starting around an hour prior to the rise.

If it is your meal causing it - then try bolusing before you eat (as much as 30 mins can be used), and try spreading the rest over a given time say 1.5 hrs or maybe longer. You should have settings that allow you to adjust your bolus so you can undertake this.

Just because your lunch does it but your tea does not, could be related to so many factors, your bodies reaction (different needs at different times of day), types of food eaten, types of energy used after eating......... it goes on and on.

My levels for bolus are different throughout the day and my meal adjustments also differ as well as my correction levels - I would say don't expect Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner to be identical ;-)

Thanks Chas I will have a carb free lunch today and see what results I obtain from that.
Best Wishes

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Soplewis12 If I was experiencing high spikes and could see a pattern I would try some exercise after eating, a walk would be my preferred option to try and taper a rise, so something gentle, obviously if circumstances permit, if that's not possible then I would reduce my carb intake with that meal, my tolerance to carbs varies throughout the day so first thing and later at night I cannot tolerate carbs and suffer massive spikes so avoid them at these times of day, mid afternoon though when picking kids up from school and shopping and this is where I can keep a pretty flat profile.

I would also refrain from using the basal pattern on your pump for this, I only change my basal settings if I have done some basal testing and can see a rise without the presence of food on board.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi @Soplewis12 If I was experiencing high spikes and could see a pattern I would try some exercise after eating, a walk would be my preferred option to try and taper a rise, so something gentle, obviously if circumstances permit, if that's not possible then I would reduce my carb intake with that meal, my tolerance to carbs varies throughout the day so first thing and later at night I cannot tolerate carbs and suffer massive spikes so avoid them at these times of day, mid afternoon though when picking kids up from school and shopping and this is where I can keep a pretty flat profile.

I would also refrain from using the basal pattern on your pump for this, I only change my basal settings if I have done some basal testing and can see a rise without the presence of food on board.

Thanks Juicy J
My carb to insulin ration seems correct as it returns to decent level by four hours after eating lunch. I had an early lunch 2 hours ago and I have just returned from a 20 minute gentle walk. Two hours after eating lunch I would normally see a spike of 12. Just checked and its sitting at a steady 7.2. Looks like the walk has worked!
Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thanks Juicy J
My carb to insulin ration seems correct as it returns to decent level by four hours after eating lunch. I had an early lunch 2 hours ago and I have just returned from a 20 minute gentle walk. Two hours after eating lunch I would normally see a spike of 12. Just checked and its sitting at a steady 7.2. Looks like the walk has worked!
Thanks for the advice.

That's good to hear :)

Reactions: Soplewis12

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Chas I will have a carb free lunch today and see what results I obtain from that.
Best Wishes

Sorry to add to your problems, not many meals are carb free - even meat raises my BG's by a bit (protein). Its far better to go meal free and test ;-) unless your absolutely sure the food has no carbs/protein etc.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Sorry to add to your problems, not many meals are carb free - even meat raises my BG's by a bit (protein). Its far better to go meal free and test ;-) unless your absolutely sure the food has no carbs/protein etc.
Thanks Chas, I know its very difficult. I had a boiled egg with some grilled bacon today for lunch. Tiny amount of carb in bacon, level stayed steady.
I'm getting there slowly but surely. Already wouldn't want to part with the pump.
Thanks again.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Just wanted to share some positive news. I seem to have cracked my basal dosages & can say I love, love, love my pump. Staying steady 6'ish all through the night is amazing, sleeping with confidence now. I upped my basal 12-1.30pm which stopped the lunchtime food spike. Happy days!