Waking up and bloods in the teens

Gafspa

Yesterday I woke up and my bloods were 14, I thought this was because I’d forgotten to take my long lasting but this morning I’ve woken up to similar high range. I am due for my period so guessing I need a few more units of my long lasting to see me through the night?

My consultant did mention that I might need additional units when poorly etc but this is first time I’ve had this!

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hormones do weird things to us. Progesterone increases insulin resistance / decreases insulin sensitivity, and this hormone peaks and falls during the week before we get our period. So it could just be that your peak has been later and has impacted your numbers a little bit. Keep your eye on it and mention it to your care team if it persists.
My blood sugars are really difficult to control before and during the first half of my period. I tend to need more basal and bolus.

Reactions: JMoli

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterday I woke up and my bloods were 14, I thought this was because I’d forgotten to take my long lasting but this morning I’ve woken up to similar high range. I am due for my period so guessing I need a few more units of my long lasting to see me through the night?

My consultant did mention that I might need additional units when poorly etc but this is first time I’ve had this!

Hi,

Though I wouldn't discount hormonal stuff.
Before adjusting your dose.
Are you using Lantus as a basal? If so, change the cartridge.. I can get halfway down the barrel sometimes. Inject in the evening & it's like I haven't the following day? Lantus for me seems to sometimes loose potency? & is fine after a new one.

The concern could be after an appropriate increased dose & eventually changing the pen of cartridge. You may find yourself chasing serous lows?

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Gafspa and JMoli

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was in the same situation recently and it was all a bit chaotic. I also go high just before my period but not as sky high as last weekend - turns out my basal was wrong and spoke with nurses who advised to increase. I’m still in a bit of a mess with my numbers but think I need to increase it again (I’m on Tresiba which takes a few days to change) so it possibly could be a basal problem and/or hormones for you? It’s rubbish not knowing for sure what it is isn’t it, Im currently also unsure if I have a bad batch of Novorapid so this week has been a hot mess! Hope you get things sorted xx

Gafspa

I’m on Toujou and novorapid.
Neither seem to be working!
But both are near end of cartridge so I might just throw away and start again! And hope it helps. Just done bloods and still in low teens and that’s after giving a correction dose!

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m on Toujou and novorapid.
Neither seem to be working!
But both are near end of cartridge so I might just throw away and start again! And hope it helps. Just done bloods and still in low teens and that’s after giving a correction dose!

Yes, worth a try for sure. Are you on Novorapid cartridges for a pen? I got in touch with the company who make Novorapid yesterday querying a recent batch - the insulin works for approx 6 days before seemingly stopping working? I’ve been through a fair few cartridges with the same problem (from this batch/box) but maybe it was badly stored in transit or it’s just my diabetes being horrible just now x