cara.lloyd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mod Edit: this is Approved!

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could have some feedback on these prints I have made for my university degree! More specifically, whether the image and the intent behind it resonate with you as a someone who has had to finger-prick test.

Description - I created this print back in January when I was still coming to terms with my diagnosis. I was struggling at the time with the finger-pricking tests and found it increasingly painful, especially with how it limited my ability to do printmaking comfortably. I chose lino print because I felt like it was an act of protest against the bruising of my fingers, facing up to the difficulty of using my hands by utilising a process that is so physical and requires a lot of your hands. The image itself highlights the three fingers that I prick and the repeated image represents the relentless nature of having to check your glucose levels.

Thanks!

Cara

Attachments

• MAKE YOU NOTICE (01.05.21).jpg
    MAKE YOU NOTICE (01.05.21).jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 235
Last edited by a moderator:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I was wondering if I could have some feedback on these prints I have made for my university degree! More specifically, whether the image and the intent behind it resonate with you as a fellow Type 1 diabetic.

Description - I created this print back in January when I was still coming to terms with my diagnosis. I was struggling at the time with the finger-pricking tests and found it increasingly painful, especially with how it limited my ability to do printmaking comfortably. I chose lino print because I felt like it was an act of protest against the bruising of my fingers, facing up to the difficulty of using my hands by utilising a process that is so physical and requires a lot of your hands. The image itself highlights the three fingers that I prick and the repeated image represents the relentless nature of having to check your glucose levels.

Thanks!

Cara
Howay, bonny lass. Not sure if you want the opinion of someone with T2? I do like the design, but if you are carrying out research on members, please will you get it approved by moderators first?
Good luck with studies.

Reactions: cara.lloyd

cara.lloyd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
.... the far larger Type2 audience?
Hiya Mike,

You’re totally right, it would be really helpful if I received feedback from Type 2 diabetics too.

I only addressed Type 1 diabetics with this post as most of my project has been based on my own experience of finger-prick testing. A family member of mine has Type 2 diabetes but doesn’t finger prick, so I had thought it wasn’t part of the Type 2 treatment? That might be a completely wrong assumption, and I’m sorry if it is.

Do you finger prick yourself? Or have you in the past?

Thanks!

Cara

Reactions: jjraak and Pipp

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Howay, bonny lass. Not sure if you want the opinion of someone with T2? I do like the design, but if you are carrying out research on members, please will you get it approved by moderators first?
Good luck with studies.
This was approved :)

cara.lloyd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck with studies.

Howay! Nice to meet a fellow Geordie here :)

I would absolutely love to have your opinion! As I've just said to Mike, I'd mainly aimed this post at Type 1 diabetics as my project is mainly based on my own experience. However, your feedback would be invaluable! Especially, if you finger-prick test or have done in the past. :D

And thanks for suggesting getting approval! Thankfully the lovely moderators were able to give me approval as I am not collecting data / information from any users, simply their opinion to help me develop my work further!

Thanks

Cara

Reactions: Pipp

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya Mike,

You’re totally right, it would be really helpful if I received feedback from Type 2 diabetics too.

I only addressed Type 1 diabetics with this post as most of my project has been based on my own experience of finger-prick testing. A family member of mine has Type 2 diabetes but doesn’t finger prick, so I had thought it wasn’t part of the Type 2 treatment? That might be a completely wrong assumption, and I’m sorry if it is.

Thanks!

Cara

You’ll find that most of the type 2s on here finger prick.

Would you like the thread moved to Diabetes Discussions so that it gets a wider audience? Reply here and one of the mods can do that for you.

And I’d suggest editing your first post to make it clear that feedback is welcome from all.

Last edited:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hiya Mike,

Thanks!

Cara

No apologies necessary Cara :) WAY WAY more T2s finger test than T1s by virtue of the imbalance between the numbers of diabetics that fall within both groups. You weren't to know that.

Yes, I do but I'm also well aware of what my tolerances are so not so much nowadays.

Take care :)

Mike

cara.lloyd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You’ll find that most of the type 2s on her finger prick.

Would you like the thread moved to Diabetes Discussions so that it gets a wider audience? Reply here and one of the mods can do that for you.

And I’d suggest editing your first post to make it clear that feedback is welcome from all.

Hey Goonergal!

Ah thank you so much for letting me know, I'm learning something new everyday! :)

I would really appreciate that. I've made the change you suggested so feel free to move it over!

Thanks

Cara

cara.lloyd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No apologies necessary Cara :) WAY WAY more T2s finger test than T1s by virtue of the imbalance between the numbers of diabetics that fall within both groups. You weren't to know that.

Yes, I do but I'm also well aware of what my tolerances are so not so much nowadays.

Take care :)

Mike
Ah I see! Thank you so much for letting me know :) and that's so good to hear you are aware of your levels without testing (something for me to aspire to one day!).

Have a good weekend!

Cara

HeliGary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Load eating , idiots.
Hiya Mike,

Thanks!

Cara

T2's often get advised not to finger prick and just given a fire and forget drug like MetFormin, I finger prick at least once a day now, was doing so 3-8 times a day when I first got started.

cara.lloyd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
T2's often get advised not to finger prick and just given a fire and forget drug like MetFormin, I finger prick at least once a day now, was doing so 3-8 times a day when I first got started.

Ah I see, thank you for letting me know! I was doing 8 times a day at one point too, so I can feel your pain!

Cara

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah I see, thank you for letting me know! I was doing 8 times a day at one point too, so I can feel your pain!

Cara
Can I ask why you only use those three fingers?
When I did a lot of testing all were fair game including thumbs.

cara.lloyd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I ask why you only use those three fingers?
When I did a lot of testing all were fair game including thumbs.
Hey! When I first started finger-prick testing the nurse advised me to only use those three fingers, so that there wouldn't be a risk of nerve damage on my forefingers and thumbs. I guess it's just to limit any discomfort to fingers I'd use more often? Maybe they were just aware that I used my hands a lot for my degree course?

A friend of mine was advised the same thing, but I'm not sure how widespread the advice is!

Cara

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Mod Edit: this is Approved!

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could have some feedback on these prints I have made for my university degree! More specifically, whether the image and the intent behind it resonate with you as a someone who has had to finger-prick test.

Thanks!

Cara

Hi Cara, I love it - it’s a very strong and bold design. Have you found diabetes has affected your art or ability to make art at all? I went to art college so long ago now but still potter about with collage and drawing but find diabetes can be a bit of a pain - having to stop and go for walks or abandon what im doing to treat lows etc. Has your experience with T1 influenced your work quite a lot? x

cara.lloyd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Cara, I love it - it’s a very strong and bold design. Have you found diabetes has affected your art or ability to make art at all? I went to art college so long ago now but still potter about with collage and drawing but find diabetes can be a bit of a pain - having to stop and go for walks or abandon what im doing to treat lows etc. Has your experience with T1 influenced your work quite a lot? x
Hiya! Ah thank you so much! :D
I definitely felt that my art was affected the beginning of my diagnosis, mainly due to a sense of demotivation but also because of how painful it was to carry out printmaking while my fingers were bruised. :( Luckily, I feel much better about it all nowadays, and have found making art such a good release for getting out my frustrations with diabetes! It's a great therapeutic :D

I totally know what you mean about having to take regular breaks and treating lows, but it sounds brilliant that you're still able to collage and draw in spite of it!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use all of my fingers and thumbs in rotation as I test six times a day.

I do not like the graphic, as it has a depressing effect on me, I would not purchase anything with it as a logo on the product.

cara.lloyd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use all of my fingers and thumbs in rotation as I test six times a day.

I do not like the graphic, as it has a depressing effect on me, I would not purchase anything with it as a logo on the product.
Hiya, thanks for your feedback! Would you say it has a depressing effect just because of how it reminds you of finger-pricking or because of the lack of colour?

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would you say it has a depressing effect just because of how it reminds you of finger-pricking or because of the lack of colour?
Lack of colour, rainbow colours would be a ideal choice

I have no problems lancing my fingers / thumbs.