Insulin pens

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all :)
Just wondering why when using insulin pens - novopen echo in my case - there is sometimes a drop of insulin at the pen tip after the injection and sometimes there’s not ????
I always prime the pens and watch the plunger move down as I give the injection so I know it’s not blocked and always leave it under the skin for a count of 10 ten after injecting .. just find it strange how large the drop seems sometimes and other times nothing ??

Last edited:

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I prime each time and the needle drips after injecting and I leave it in for 30 seconds.

Reactions: Sharrryn

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I prime each time and the needle drips after injecting and I leave it in for 30 seconds.
Strange hey !! Must be just how the pens work.
I know the instruction manual says you may see a drop of insulin at the pen tip after injecting and it’s normal. Just seemed weird to me why it happens sometimes and not other times !

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all :)
Just wondering why when using insulin pens - novopen echo in my case - there is sometimes a drop of insulin at the pen tip after the injection and sometimes there’s not ????
I always prime the pens and watch the plunger move down as I give the injection so I know it’s not blocked and always leave it under the skin for a count of 10 ten after injecting .. just find it strange how large the drop seems sometimes and other times nothing ??

Hi,

Yeah, now you mention it. I kinda get what you are saying regarding your observation..
Sometimes I think there is a resistance in the rubber bung down the barrel of the cartridge? Then there is sometimes this last little "gasp" as the needle is withdrwn.
I seem to see it the further down the cartridge it goes? (Regarding usage. Not actual dose.)

bmtest

It does happen many times in my case i have had cracked cartridge and with this you have gap between plunger and insulin through leak.

It like in plumbing its not an exact cut off sometimes residual fluid is left in taps or pipes.

Reactions: Sharrryn