MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The graphic says three fingers and continuity to me, but doesn't show anything to do with pricking or diabetes. I think anyone without diabetes would struggle to understand it...just my opinion
(And I use 3 fingers on my right hand but only 2 on my left as that middle finger refuses to give up enough blood.. odd and annoying)

Reactions: cara.lloyd

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mod Edit: this is Approved!

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could have some feedback on these prints I have made for my university degree! More specifically, whether the image and the intent behind it resonate with you as a someone who has had to finger-prick test.

Description - I created this print back in January when I was still coming to terms with my diagnosis. I was struggling at the time with the finger-pricking tests and found it increasingly painful, especially with how it limited my ability to do printmaking comfortably. I chose lino print because I felt like it was an act of protest against the bruising of my fingers, facing up to the difficulty of using my hands by utilising a process that is so physical and requires a lot of your hands. The image itself highlights the three fingers that I prick and the repeated image represents the relentless nature of having to check your glucose levels.

Thanks!

Cara

Hi,

It sort of reminds me of a moncrome Andy Warhol?
Got a little quality of some of the punk flyers from back in the 1980s for gigs ..? Possibly some of the protest stencilled graffiti from that era too..
I use more than 3 fingers on both hands. (I tend to rotate.)
The image on the subject matter depicted for me would have a little more impact if there was a red highlight.
The red "paint-balled" randomly, breaking up the uniformity of the 12 blocks with the hands?
Think the album artwork to Metallica's "Kill 'em all," & you sorta get the idea..

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Howay! Nice to meet a fellow Geordie here :)

I would absolutely love to have your opinion! As I've just said to Mike, I'd mainly aimed this post at Type 1 diabetics as my project is mainly based on my own experience. However, your feedback would be invaluable! Especially, if you finger-prick test or have done in the past. :D

And thanks for suggesting getting approval! Thankfully the lovely moderators were able to give me approval as I am not collecting data / information from any users, simply their opinion to help me develop my work further!

Thanks

Cara
Ooh, I confess, not Geordie. Though I am a Northumberlandophile, if there is such a thing. Partial to a pint or three of Workie Ticket, and a stottie with ham and pease pudding. Have Geordies in extended family. Love them to bits, hen.

Sorry I was trigger happy asking if you have aporoval. I am a bit oversensitive and protective when it comes to anyone seeking to make use of members’ good nature.
So, now that is cleared up, and you do want opinions of those with T2, (even faux Geordies like me) here goes.

The finger pricking does get tedious. At first I tended to use the same couple of fingers, and got a bit lazy with changing the lancet regularly. It is recommended after each use. After getting a nasty infection in the favoured finger, I started to change lancets, if not after each use, at least after a couple. I also rotate digits used by starting with thumb on left hand, using that from fasting test in morning until end of day. Then move on to index finger on left hand, for just a day. Then middle finger, etc. Using each digit for 24 hours. That way each digit has 9 days to recover before using again. It eases the discomfort.

I get the meaning behind your design. Speaks to me of the repetitive, constant need to test, often tedious. monochrome suggests to me the darkness of despair at diagnosis. Not sure it would be understood by those who don’t need to test with finger stabbing, but art is all about interpretation.

Incidentally, are you aware that the finger stabbing is less uncomfortable if you have warmed your hands, only use a depth of lancet to make a small piercing, use the side of finger rather than tip, and don’t squeeze to get a drop of blood, it just needs a gentle massage stroke towards the end of finger to get a drop of blood.

Best of luck to you.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get the meaning behind your design. Speaks to me of the repetitive, constant need to test, often tedious. monochrome suggests to me the darkness of despair at diagnosis. Not sure it would be understood by those who don’t need to test with finger stabbing, but art is all about interpretation.

I feel it's halfway there..? (Unfinished.) I see a more "underground" element needs adding..
It shouldn't be...However, Testing for some (as well as injecting.) can be ike a "dirty little secret?"

The piece should convey some "controversy."

"Eye of the beholder." A message for those who practice testing & those who missunderstand the act.

Last edited:
Reactions: cara.lloyd and Pipp

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry but I didn’t get it at all til I read @pipp’s interpretation above. Perhaps made more so by the fact I don’t have those feelings about testing, nor do I find it damages my fingers (3yrs in) and I do it several times a day. Good tips for how to make it hurt above too. Making sure you are well hydrated helps too.

But then I don’t get a lot of art, I either like the image or I don’t and I struggle with the whole “interpretation” part til it’s explained. Now it has been, I can see it demonstrates what pipp describes quite well.

Reactions: cara.lloyd and Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry but I didn’t get it at all til I read @pipp’s interpretation above. Perhaps made more so by the fact I don’t have those feelings about testing, nor do I find it damages my fingers (3yrs in) and I do it several times a day. Good tips for how to make it hurt above too. Making sure you are well hydrated helps too.

But then I don’t get a lot of art, I either like the image or I don’t and I struggle with the whole “interpretation” part til it’s explained. Now it has been, I can see it demonstrates what pipp describes quite well.
Well I am feeling a bit pensive tonight, with a touch of reflective melancholy, but it is only a mere opinion. Quite flattered my interpretation resonated.:)

Reactions: HSSS and Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I have to agree testing is not an issue for me. Didn't use a pricker back in the late 1980s. Just drove the lancets home by hand.
I've heard the limiting of nerve damage from DSNs before? But years & years of testing, I'm still tactile.

Well I am feeling a bit pensive tonight, with a touch of reflective melancholy, but it is only a mere opinion. Quite flattered my interpretation resonated.:)

I'm feeling pretty rock & roll.. The cup's half full.
But I do see an incomplete composition with the art... :cool:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mod Edit: this is Approved!

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could have some feedback on these prints I have made for my university degree! More specifically, whether the image and the intent behind it resonate with you as a someone who has had to finger-prick test.

Description - I created this print back in January when I was still coming to terms with my diagnosis. I was struggling at the time with the finger-pricking tests and found it increasingly painful, especially with how it limited my ability to do printmaking comfortably. I chose lino print because I felt like it was an act of protest against the bruising of my fingers, facing up to the difficulty of using my hands by utilising a process that is so physical and requires a lot of your hands. The image itself highlights the three fingers that I prick and the repeated image represents the relentless nature of having to check your glucose levels.

Thanks!

Cara
Hi Cara, T1 for 35 years so plenty of finger pricking in my history - though Libre's meant a major reduction in that! Has anyone suggested that to you? Afraid your image doesn't signify finger pricking to me. I like @Jaylee's suggestion of red dots, that would probably do it!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@cara.lloyd

Maybe a nine square collage, the central one targeted to testing for a condition that most people don't have.

The surrounding eight, our fingers in close up engaged in all of the daily activities / hobbies which are second nature to everyone. Placing a last jigsaw piece, fingers on a leaf, a warm handshake, etc etc.

Draw the parallel between the eight and the one.... and make the central piece larger to draw the viewer into the entire theme.

Last edited:

cara.lloyd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The graphic says three fingers and continuity to me, but doesn't show anything to do with pricking or diabetes. I think anyone without diabetes would struggle to understand it...just my opinion
(And I use 3 fingers on my right hand but only 2 on my left as that middle finger refuses to give up enough blood.. odd and annoying)
Yes I definitely see what you mean! When I've shown it to non-diabetic friends they have the same insight. Thanks for your feedback! :)

cara.lloyd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

It sort of reminds me of a moncrome Andy Warhol?
Got a little quality of some of the punk flyers from back in the 1980s for gigs ..? Possibly some of the protest stencilled graffiti from that era too..
I use more than 3 fingers on both hands. (I tend to rotate.)
The image on the subject matter depicted for me would have a little more impact if there was a red highlight.
The red "paint-balled" randomly, breaking up the uniformity of the 12 blocks with the hands?
Think the album artwork to Metallica's "Kill 'em all," & you sorta get the idea..

Ah thank you! Andy Warhol is always good company to be in :)

And I totally agree about the link to 1980s/protest graffiti. I guess the fist is always quite a ubiquitous image for protest, but perhaps the open palm reveals a sense of vulnerability. A great reference for me to look at too! Adding some red could definitely make the message clearer. Thanks so much for your feedback!

cara.lloyd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooh, I confess, not Geordie. Though I am a Northumberlandophile, if there is such a thing. Partial to a pint or three of Workie Ticket, and a stottie with ham and pease pudding. Have Geordies in extended family. Love them to bits, hen.

Sorry I was trigger happy asking if you have aporoval. I am a bit oversensitive and protective when it comes to anyone seeking to make use of members’ good nature.
So, now that is cleared up, and you do want opinions of those with T2, (even faux Geordies like me) here goes.

The finger pricking does get tedious. At first I tended to use the same couple of fingers, and got a bit lazy with changing the lancet regularly. It is recommended after each use. After getting a nasty infection in the favoured finger, I started to change lancets, if not after each use, at least after a couple. I also rotate digits used by starting with thumb on left hand, using that from fasting test in morning until end of day. Then move on to index finger on left hand, for just a day. Then middle finger, etc. Using each digit for 24 hours. That way each digit has 9 days to recover before using again. It eases the discomfort.

Incidentally, are you aware that the finger stabbing is less uncomfortable if you have warmed your hands, only use a depth of lancet to make a small piercing, use the side of finger rather than tip, and don’t squeeze to get a drop of blood, it just needs a gentle massage stroke towards the end of finger to get a drop of blood.

Best of luck to you.

Hiya Pip, thanks for the great feedback and Northumberlandophile should definitely be a thing!

I'm really glad to hear the the tedious nature of finger pricking resonates with you in the image...and I was totally the same with being too lazy to change lancets sometimes. And thanks for your advice for finger pricking more comfortably, I'll definitely have to give your 9 day rotation a try. :)

It's interesting to hear how the monochrome has instilled a sense of despair, something I definitely was trying to recreate when I made this print. In some ways I want to revisit the work and use more vibrant colours instead, after all, even though it is an annoying process, it's amazing how it can help us stay healthy and keep our levels stable. Technology is a brilliant thing eh.:happy:

Take care and thanks again!

Reactions: Pipp

cara.lloyd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel it's halfway there..? (Unfinished.) I see a more "underground" element needs adding..
It shouldn't be...However, Testing for some (as well as injecting.) can be ike a "dirty little secret?"

The piece should convey some "controversy."

"Eye of the beholder." A message for those who practice testing & those who missunderstand the act.
Hiya Jaylee, thanks for your awesome feedback! I'm fascinated by your observation of testing being a "dirty little secret", something I hadn't considered before. I definitely remember scurrying off to the medical room at Uni to test as I didn't want my peers to know at first, so I can definitely identify with this idea! I feel inspired to pursue this 'controversy' idea too.

Thanks! :)

cara.lloyd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hey! I'm so glad the work was able to speak to you following some further explanation. I'll definitely look into how the print could better communicate my intent without any supplemental information. I also think your approach to art is something to aspire too, after all, some of my favourite pieces of art / design are simply just aesthetically pleasing to me (irrespective of their meaning)! :)
Thanks for your feedback!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya Pip, thanks for the great feedback and Northumberlandophile should definitely be a thing!

I'm really glad to hear the the tedious nature of finger pricking resonates with you in the image...and I was totally the same with being too lazy to change lancets sometimes. And thanks for your advice for finger pricking more comfortably, I'll definitely have to give your 9 day rotation a try. :)

It's interesting to hear how the monochrome has instilled a sense of despair, something I definitely was trying to recreate when I made this print. In some ways I want to revisit the work and use more vibrant colours instead, after all, even though it is an annoying process, it's amazing how it can help us stay healthy and keep our levels stable. Technology is a brilliant thing eh.:happy:

Take care and thanks again!
Just a thought, you could make a succession of works, showing your journey. I think it would become less monochrome as time goes on. New diagnosis is a shock, life changing. It doesn’t need to dominate though. As you get more experienced you will possibly change how you see things. Not going to give advice as some old lady with T2 to a recently diagnosed younger person with T1, but there are so many long term T1 folks on here who don’t let their diabetes get in the way of anything. Seek them out, stick around, read, learn and pass on the knowledge.

cara.lloyd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Cara, T1 for 35 years so plenty of finger pricking in my history - though Libre's meant a major reduction in that! Has anyone suggested that to you? Afraid your image doesn't signify finger pricking to me. I like @Jaylee's suggestion of red dots, that would probably do it!
Hey, thanks for your feedback! And yes I've just started using the Freestyle Libre recently (feeling very lucky that I was able to get a prescription so quickly). I can totally see how the finger pricking isn't evident straight away, and I agree that maybe adding some red would do the trick! :)

cara.lloyd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@cara.lloyd

Maybe a nine square collage, the central one targeted to testing for a condition that most people don't have.

The surrounding eight, our fingers in close up engaged in all of the daily activities / hobbies which are second nature to everyone. Placing a last jigsaw piece, fingers on a leaf, a warm handshake, etc etc.

Draw the parallel between the eight and the one.... and make the central piece larger to draw the viewer into the entire theme.
Hiya Mike! I'm really intrigued by this composition you've described, and I like how the finger prick image would mix in with 'daily activities / hobbies'....maybe a depiction of how our diabetic rituals are just a small part of our lives! Thanks so much! :)

Reactions: Pipp

cara.lloyd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a thought, you could make a succession of works, showing your journey. I think it would become less monochrome as time goes on. New diagnosis is a shock, life changing. It doesn’t need to dominate though. As you get more experienced you will possibly change how you see things. Not going to give advice as some old lady with T2 to a recently diagnosed younger person with T1, but there are so many long term T1 folks on here who don’t let their diabetes get in the way of anything. Seek them out, stick around, read, learn and pass on the knowledge.
Yes absolutely! I think it would be really powerful to display the positive journey you've described. I remember feeling so daunted by the idea of having diabetes, but now it feels like something I can have control over. You're totally right about how time and experience can change your perception of the situation...even recently I've been considering how I've never been more in-tune with the processes within my body and that it's such a gift to have this knowledge. I have to say that reading the forums on here (from both T1 and T2 people) has been such a blessing in getting used to it all! :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya Jaylee, thanks for your awesome feedback! I'm fascinated by your observation of testing being a "dirty little secret", something I hadn't considered before. I definitely remember scurrying off to the medical room at Uni to test as I didn't want my peers to know at first, so I can definitely identify with this idea! I feel inspired to pursue this 'controversy' idea too.

Thanks! :)

I can be open about my T1 mostly. Other times I can test & inject privately either in the back of my privacy glassed van or shielded by a work's truck door?
I'm pretty stealthy with it regarding certain company I don't know..
I dated someone once who during my openness with my condition seemed to take an unhealthy dark interest with the bloodletting & inpalement? (Start the car..)
Years ago, I was spotted in (in what I thought was an empty) a changing room at college injecting (classic syringes back then.) by another student. The rumour went round I was a "druggie."

I was testing in a staff room & a driver came in to make tea. "AIDS test?" He commented. Yeah, but don't worry, your not my type..;)

I was diagnosed in an era of pee testing? I felt the meter was civilised, but occasionally the act offends the observer.
Even with a simple comment of, "oh, I couldn't be doing that.."