Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Television
Hi
Need some advice/ reassurence.
This pandemic has had a massive impact on my diabetic readings and I cannot get my numbers down. Without going into detail I went through a traumatic event last year and I don’t think my body is letting me forget it/ get over it. My HB1AC is higher now than when I was first diagnosed 8 years ago Everyone thinks I’m secretly eating rubbish food but I’m not, I can starve myself and it’s still 15.
How can I get my numbers down? I’m stressing that I’m going to be really ill if I aren’t careful, which isn’t helping. By the way I don’t ( as a rule) eat bread, pasta rice or potatoes.
Also since my sugars are high I have a really bad pain in my shoulder, do you think this could be connected and does anyone have any experience of the shoulder pain

thanks
Becky

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Need some advice/ reassurence.
This pandemic has had a massive impact on my diabetic readings and I cannot get my numbers down. Without going into detail I went through a traumatic event last year and I don’t think my body is letting me forget it/ get over it. My HB1AC is higher now than when I was first diagnosed 8 years ago Everyone thinks I’m secretly eating rubbish food but I’m not, I can starve myself and it’s still 15.
How can I get my numbers down? I’m stressing that I’m going to be really ill if I aren’t careful, which isn’t helping. By the way I don’t ( as a rule) eat bread, pasta rice or potatoes.
Also since my sugars are high I have a really bad pain in my shoulder, do you think this could be connected and does anyone have any experience of the shoulder pain

thanks
Becky

Hi Becky,

Could you give some idea on what meds for diabetes is prescribed? (If any.)
It could help with the responses.
Do you also have another consultation lined up with your HCPs?

Reactions: EllieM

bexter75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Television
Hi
I’m on metformin and gliclazide. I had to come off another medication at Christmas, forxiga as that too was causing e problems. The doctor is ringing me in a few weeks to discuss my results
Thanks

PoppyCottage

Hi Becky
Stress is awful, we are all feeling it with pandemic. I try meditation and breathing exercises, Russell Brand has put some good ones on Instagram. I have spa music playing I use Alexa for this Spotify YouTube. Speak to you diabetic nurse or Gp.
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last February, I had been suffering with tendinitis and bursitis in my left shoulder it had been sore and nuisance for 10 years but I spent s year doing my physio but in March last year my shoulder froze, it coincided with my metformin administration. I do not know if it is a coincidence but it was excruciating agony. I was worried I was having a heart attack I had armpit pain and cannot out my arm behind my back. I was told that frozen shoulder is common with menopausal women diabetics people with previous injury I ticked all boxes.

not sure if you do this but when I stress I raise my shoulders, now I realise I make an effort to relax them but I think being stressed with raised shoulders for long periods of time can aggravate so worth doing those relaxation exercises breathing etc. I had anti inflammatory and pain killers but they are not good for anyone let alone diabetics. If you do a few shoulder shrugs and tool shoulders forwards x20 back wards x20 and look left and right it might loosen up
I think you need a full health check get all your bloods checked, blood pressure etc and you need some reassurance, the more you pannick the higher those blood sugars will go.
Not sure if your situation but try to get out walking in nature fresh air exercise, stop listening to tv radio bombarding us with COVID as it scares us.
Lots of love to you
Get yourself a double time doctor appointment and try to stay calm, make note of everything that’s worrying you and ailments, this can be fixed it’s not permanent.
You’ve got this x

Last edited:

bexter75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Television
Thank you that has put my mind at rest big time. I keep thinking I’m having a heart attack, but I am at that age so it could be something to do with the menopause.
I need to chill more

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As we all spend much more time on computers in various guises, musculoskeletal problems in hands, arms and shoulders are getting much more common.
You could find a local physiotherapist who could advise a stretching and mild exercise routine that might well sort you out.

bexter75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Television
As we all spend much more time on computers in various guises, musculoskeletal problems in hands, arms and shoulders are getting much more common.
You could find a local physiotherapist who could advise a stretching and mild exercise routine that might well sort you out.
That sounds like good advice too

Reactions: oldgreymare