Do all roads lead to diabetes for me?

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello.
I wonder could someone give me a bit of advice. I’m almost 6 months postpartum. I had gestational diabetes and was on insulin for my fastings numbers as I had hyperememsis gravidarum so wouldn’t have been able to keep tablets down. I had steroids during my pregnancy for the extreme sickness which increased the risk of GDM. My BMI was 30 at my 12 week postnatal Appt. Lost a lot of weight during pregnancy due to sickness. I struggled with postnatal depression, PTSD and anxiety after the birth and was admitted to hospital around 6 weeks postpartum. I read up a lot about diabetes Micheal Mosley, and dramatically lost 2 1/2 stone by doing low carb with intermittent fasting and got HBA1c down to 22 at 12 weeks PP and fastings down to 4’s. Then I carb crept and a1c 28 but fastings from 5.4-6.9 again. Spoke to gp, ‘you aren’t diabetic or pre-diabetic’. CGM showed I’m going low after eating so going to take data to private endro.

I have a CPN since leaving hospital and due to anorexia I had in my teens nhs is now concerned I’m not eating enough. Bmi now 19. My hair is falling out, eyes blurry, hands and feet tingly, fungal infection on nails, skin has scars from months ago I’ve got skin tags but I just can’t seem to crack these fasting numbers unless I basically I eat 2 tablespoonfuls of FF Greek yog with 2 blueberries chia seeds and x3 egg ommlette with cheese, almond milk no sugars and spinach before 2.30pm.
Nhs has requested emergency bloods now as again they aren’t happy I’m doing v low carb and now I’m worried My blood pressure will be high (they’ll want me on pills) and cholesterol will be high still as it was when I’ve been doing low carb. High cholesterol and blood pressure runs in my family and I wouldn’t be surprised if my mum was a secret diabetic. I am taking thiamin they put me on it in hospital and aren’t all diabetes low on it?

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not quite sure how to help. Your A1C is not remotely diabetic, so I'm not completely sure what's motivating your concerns about diabetes. It seems like you have a lot going on though, and I really hope you can get to the bottom of it.

FWIW, as far as cholesterol goes, it may be true that SOME metrics will appear "worse" on a low carb diet, there is controversy around whether this is actually a health concern. I have personally come to the conclusion that things like "total cholesterol" are not something I'm going to worry about, and my GP will just have to deal with that. But there are certain values and ratios that I DO care about. Most notably the Triglyceride:HDL ratio.

Reactions: Rach612

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots seems to be happening here. I won’t comment on the mental health aspects as you are being supported on this by the cpn.

An hb1ac of 28 couldn’t be further from diabetic. Are you concerned purely because of the fasting numbers and the history of GD?

Fasting can awkwardly be a little higher on keto (look up adaptation glucose sparing/physiological insulin resistance). Does the rise correspond to starting keto? How are the rest of the days charts?

how low is your cgm showing you go and are you checking this with a meter? After eating what? Are you on any meds that can cause hypos as this combined with keto may be the reason.

telogen effluvium (hair loss) is common after birth, on dramatic weight loss and dramatic diet change so it could be any or all of these. Deficiencies in diet can too and also thyroid issues.

Is the continuing weight loss deliberate? You need be increasing fats and proteins to stabilise it. Halting weight loss would eliminate one concern at least. Your bmi confuses me. You quote 30 at 12 weeks pp and then 22. And then 19 at 6 months pp.

lots to be said on cholesterol but as above totals are pointless. Weight loss itself will cause a rise as lipids leave the body via the blood. Ratios are far more relevant that total. And the assumptions made for ldl calculations (ldl is calculated not measured) don’t hold true on keto. It also doesn’t measure particle size of ldl. Then there’s the issue of if lower numbers actually prevent cardio vascular events/extend life expectancy in individuals (not populations) or not. If they are worried about cholesterol make sure you ask about these issues and they are able to answer fully before they panic and try and insist on statins (which are your choice not theirs).

Reactions: Sad21+

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots seems to be happening here. I won’t comment on the mental health aspects as you are being supported on this by the cpn.

An hb1ac of 28 couldn’t be further from diabetic. Are you concerned purely because of the fasting numbers and the history of GD?

Fasting can awkwardly be a little higher on keto (look up adaptation glucose sparing/physiological insulin resistance). Does the rise correspond to starting keto? How are the rest of the days charts?

how low is your cgm showing you go and are you checking this with a meter? After eating what? Are you on any meds that can cause hypos as this combined with keto may be the reason.

telogen effluvium (hair loss) is common after birth, on dramatic weight loss and dramatic diet change so it could be any or all of these. Deficiencies in diet can too and also thyroid issues.

Is the continuing weight loss deliberate? You need be increasing fats and proteins to stabilise it. Halting weight loss would eliminate one concern at least. Your bmi confuses me. You quote 30 at 12 weeks pp and then 22. And then 19 at 6 months pp.

lots to be said on cholesterol but as above totals are pointless. Weight loss itself will cause a rise as lipids leave the body via the blood. Ratios are far more relevant that total. And the assumptions made for ldl calculations (ldl is calculated not measured) don’t hold true on keto. It also doesn’t measure particle size of ldl. Then there’s the issue of if lower numbers actually prevent cardio vascular events/extend life expectancy in individuals (not populations) or not. If they are worried about cholesterol make sure you ask about these issues and they are able to answer fully before they panic and try and insist on statins (which are your choice not theirs).

Thank you for your kind reply. Yes I’m concerned because of GD and these fasting numbers. My CGM has expired but I will check them with a metre when I get a new one. My numbers don’t tend to go high after I eat. If I go v low carb/starvation I can get my fasting numbers down if I have a small slice of bread during the day they would be higher the next am but sometimes 5.4 it depends really. And got a 5.1 a day when, to be fair I ate quite badly.

Apologies so BMI was 30 at 12 weeks pregnant, lost weight in pregnancy anyway to 10 stone 6 then dropped to 7stone 13 now - 6 months PP. so BMI 19. I purposely lost weight when I got out of hospital to try and shift this diabetes. The 22 was my HBA1c at 12 weeks postpartum. I just don’t understand why my fasting numbers aren’t normal, don’t want to lose anymore weight but want to get my fasting numbers down at the same time as they are what’s worrying me if I’m honest. I’m worried my liver is fatty with too many carbs in the past and long term anti-depressant use. Don’t think any drugs I’m on cause hypos but know sertraline 100mg can effect blood sugars but my family are insisting (and watching me take them).

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please stop starving yourself. Your bgl numbers do not justify that. And if they aren’t going high after eating that’s more good news to say you are not diabetic now. At worst your fasting readings are top end of normal. Re read that please. You are not showing diabetic readings now. Nor even prediabetic in these latest readings. And starving isn’t the way to control diabetes even if you do get it later in life. After that much weight loss that quickly I doubt you have a fatty liver.

Add healthy fats and protein in now (they won’t make diabetes worse now or later) and it sounds like you really need to get your depression and weight stabilised as they pose the more immediate concerns. You need to stay healthy for yourself and your baby. It’s a time of huge adjustment even without the additional stressors and history you have. Be kind to yourself and your body. Once you have a handle on all the other things life has thrown at you come back to how to avoid diabetes in future. In the meantime eat good healthy foods, if you feel safer in a preventative way keep it low carb, but filling meals and maintain your metabolism and health with fats and proteins.

Reactions: Sad21+ and DJC3

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Please stop starving yourself. Your bgl numbers do not justify that. And if they aren’t going high after eating that’s more good news to say you are not diabetic now. At worst your fasting readings are top end of normal. Re read that please. You are not showing diabetic readings now. Nor even prediabetic in these latest readings. And starving isn’t the way to control diabetes even if you do get it later in life. After that much weight loss that quickly I doubt you have a fatty liver.

Add healthy fats and protein in now (they won’t make diabetes worse now or later) and it sounds like you really need to get your depression and weight stabilised as they pose the more immediate concerns. You need to stay healthy for yourself and your baby. It’s a time of huge adjustment even without the additional stressors and history you have. Be kind to yourself and your body. Once you have a handle on all the other things life has thrown at you come back to how to avoid diabetes in future. In the meantime eat good healthy foods, if you feel safer in a preventative way keep it low carb, but filling meals and maintain your metabolism and health with fats and proteins.

thank you for your kind reply. I got a fasting of 6.4 this am when I got up with the baby at 7.30am. I took a small drink of water and went back to bed and got up properly at 10.30am and it’s 5.8 but I suppose I shouldn’t could that as a fasting as I had a glass of water earlier?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you for your kind reply. I got a fasting of 6.4 this am when I got up with the baby at 7.30am. I took a small drink of water and went back to bed and got up properly at 10.30am and it’s 5.8 but I suppose I shouldn’t could that as a fasting as I had a glass of water earlier?
a glass of water wont break your fast. Anyone fasting needs liquids to keep alive. Your gestational diabetes was caused by your pregnancy, you are no longer pregnant, so the cause of the blood sugar raise is gone. People with normal blood sugar levels and no diabetes can be higher first thing in the morning if their body is the sort which gives a rush of glucose to give them the energy they need to get going. This is a normal body function.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
High cholesterol and blood pressure runs in my family and I wouldn’t be surprised if my mum was a secret diabetic.
High blood pressure or cholesterol which runs in the family can have nothing to do with diabetes, but just be a genetic trait. Its just one of those things. The blood tests will show this.

Reactions: Sad21+ and Rach612

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Getting up in the night can raise morning glucose in anyone. Diabetic or not. Water does not break a fast.

I really think diabetes right now is not your major concern and chasing it as if it were will likely cause more harm. I’d strongly recommend just being mindful and sensible and not gorging on carbs. I hope we’ve been able to reassure you with more facts and information about diabetes and made you see that you already have this under control and it’s not the big threat you thought it was (or certainly isn’t now).

Last edited:

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
a glass of water wont break your fast. Anyone fasting needs liquids to keep alive. Your gestational diabetes was caused by your pregnancy, you are no longer pregnant, so the cause of the blood sugar raise is gone. People with normal blood sugar levels and no diabetes can be higher first thing in the morning if their body is the sort which gives a rush of glucose to give them the energy they need to get going. This is a normal body function.

thank you for your kind reply. I’m not sure what to take as my fasting that day, the 6.4 or 5.8 when I properly got up. I’m just thinking I must be pre-diabetic at least as they aren’t ‘normal’ according to the diabetes website. Especially with the symptoms. Today I got a fasting blood of 5.8 and when I woke my eyes were blurry and my left hand was numb and I still felt exhausted. That was after an uninterrupted night’s sleep too.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you for your kind reply. I’m not sure what to take as my fasting that day, the 6.4 or 5.8 when I properly got up. I’m just thinking I must be pre-diabetic at least as they aren’t ‘normal’ according to the diabetes website. Especially with the symptoms. Today I got a fasting blood of 5.8 and when I woke my eyes were blurry and my left hand was numb and I still felt exhausted. That was after an uninterrupted night’s sleep too.

Hi,

I encourage you to seek professional help for your anxiety around this.
It is definitely possible that your morning stress around testing your blood glucose levels is what is driving your numbers up.
The numb hand could be as simple as sleeping in an awkward position.

Being a new mother is extremely stressful, along with all the hormone changes, and the gestational diabetes, your previous health history. Please ask for some counselling or therapy, since these will give you valuable tools to handle current and future stresses that life may hold for you - whatever your blood glucose levels are.

Reactions: Sad21+ and Rach612

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Getting up in the night can raise morning glucose in anyone. Diabetic or not. Water does not break a fast.

I really think diabetes right now is not your major concern and chasing it as if it were will likely cause more harm. I’d strongly recommend just being mindful and sensible and not gorging on carbs. I hope we’ve been able to reassure you with more facts and information about diabetes and made you see that you already have this under control and it’s not the big threat you thought it was (or certainly isn’t now).

thank you. I suppose I’m just worried as my fastings numbers aren’t considered normal going by the diabetes website and along with symptoms I’m convinced I must be either a diabetic or at least pre. I got a 5.8 fasting today with an uninterrupted sleep last night. But woke up still exhausted, blurry eyes and a numb left hand and I didn’t even sleep on it during the night. Cgm is arriving later and going to speak with Gloria Hunniford’s endro as he’s big into low carb so at least we will be able to advise and will get family/nhs off my back!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
But woke up still exhausted, blurry eyes and a numb left hand and I didn’t even sleep on it during the night.

Exhaustion is normal at 6 months post partum. You are at far higher risk of post natal depression than diabetes. And honestly, eating disorders are more dangerous than diabetes.

Look, you did an awesome job in coping with GD and now have a baby, try to push the diabetes anxiety aside for a year or so.

Even if you did have diabetes (honestly I don't think it's very likely) a low carb diet would probably keep it under control, and your symptoms at the moment sound more like an eating disorder than diabetes, and you really don't want to go there.

Enjoy your baby and try to stop worrying about your health (I appreciate that's easier said than done).

Lots of virtual hugs.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thank you. I suppose I’m just worried as my fastings numbers aren’t considered normal going by the diabetes website and along with symptoms I’m convinced I must be either a diabetic or at least pre. I got a 5.8 fasting today with an uninterrupted sleep last night. But woke up still exhausted, blurry eyes and a numb left hand and I didn’t even sleep on it during the night. Cgm is arriving later and going to speak with Gloria Hunniford’s endro as he’s big into low carb so at least we will be able to advise and will get family/nhs off my back!

For what it's worth, the A1C is the real standard to diagnose diabetes. Fasting reading is just one snapshot in time, while the A1C reflects what your glucose level is around the clock for the last several months. There are tons of reasons why a morning reading can be elevated, but if your A1C is normal, you shouldn't be overly concerned about diabetes.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Exhaustion is normal at 6 months post partum. You are at far higher risk of post natal depression than diabetes. And honestly, eating disorders are more dangerous than diabetes.

Look, you did an awesome job in coping with GD and now have a baby, try to push the diabetes anxiety aside for a year or so.

Even if you did have diabetes (honestly I don't think it's very likely) a low carb diet would probably keep it under control, and your symptoms at the moment sound more like an eating disorder than diabetes, and you really don't want to go there.

Enjoy your baby and try to stop worrying about your health (I appreciate that's easier said than done).

Lots of virtual hugs.

thank you for your reply Ellie. I hope you are keeping well yourself. Got a 6.8 fasting or 7 today depending what time you look at it on the CGM was a 7 as soon as I got up but when I look back at CGM data was 6.8 at 10am when I got downstairs so dunno which to take. Either I don’t like to be fair so I’m back only eating one meal a day now and exercising to get them down.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
For what it's worth, the A1C is the real standard to diagnose diabetes. Fasting reading is just one snapshot in time, while the A1C reflects what your glucose level is around the clock for the last several months. There are tons of reasons why a morning reading can be elevated, but if your A1C is normal, you shouldn't be overly concerned about diabetes.

thank you Rogg. I just really don’t like the morning numbers as I read the longer your fasting numbers are high the more beta cells die and also along with symptoms I need to put the diabetes in remission and get them back down. Also if I take no action they will keep going up and in a few months my a1c will be pre- if not diabetic range. :banghead:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you Rogg. I just really don’t like the morning numbers as I read the longer your fasting numbers are high the more beta cells die and also along with symptoms I need to put the diabetes in remission and get them back down. Also if I take no action they will keep going up and in a few months my a1c will be pre- if not diabetic range. :banghead:
If you carry on like this, in a few months diabetes will be the least of your problems.

Have you got professional help? I feel you are not listening to people on here unless it fits what you want to hear. What you are doing is dangerous.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
If you carry on like this, in a few months diabetes will be the least of your problems.

Have you got professional help? I feel you are not listening to people on here unless it fits what you want to hear. What you are doing is dangerous.

thank you for your reply. I’m going to speak to a private endro at the end of this week and he can look at my figures and see what tests he could advise. Until then I really don’t want to eat too much at all, I’ve spotted a lot of people on here do fasting and it’s supposed to be good and I know I got my numbers down doing it before so it’s worth a shot again I feel. My prob is I don’t know what I can eat safely without putting my numbers up. Like at 1.45pm I had a 3 egg ommlette with grated cheese, almond milk - no added sugars, few onions and handful of spinach 5.5 mmol/l before and 2 hours later 6mmol/l so that was too much of a rise wasn’t it? My hand shook with almond milk so landed a lot in instead of just a dollop. I’m so depressed if I’m honest, I just want to die. I have no life now always chasing my numbers. CPN going to phone tomorrow but really there is nothing anyone can do to make me feel better. This is my life now. I really can’t be bothered with my kids or family. I just want to sleep forever but that’s awful for blood sugars.