Do all roads lead to diabetes for me?

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Please, please, PLEASE get professional psychological help. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your blood glucose readings. On one meal a day and at BM I of 19 your liver is dumping glucose into your blood stream in an attempt to keep you alive. You are putting yourself and your baby at real risk.

Reactions: Sad21+ and Rach612

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 mmol/l before and 2 hours later 6mmol/l so that was too much of a rise wasn’t it?
Wrong. It’s an excellent result. First the difference is within tolerance of a meter or cgm so there may not have been any rise at all in reality. And anything under about 2mmol is considered perfectly normal.

With an hb1ac of 28 you couldn’t be further from diabetes, I seriously doubt many non diabetics have levels much lower than that. I hope the endo can convince you before you do real damage.

I’m worried about your one sided view and obsession based solely on fasting numbers which can be effected by many things and your eating plan with your depression and eating disorder history. Perhaps that’s the direction you should be seeking further support in more urgently.

Reactions: Sad21+

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Until then I really don’t want to eat too much at all, I’ve spotted a lot of people on here do fasting and it’s supposed to be good and I know I got my numbers down doing it before so it’s worth a shot again I feel.

A lot of people do Intermittent Fasting as part of their protocol for dealing with type 2 diabetes, but you need to realize that the whole concept of IF is that there are periods of time when you dont eat (ie you fast), but between fasts you dont specifically restrict calories. It's not a way to eat less. It's a way to eat over a shorter period of time. In effect, you're fasting or you're feasting. If you fast without the feast, you're just starving yourself. And that's not good for you in a whole lot of ways.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you for your reply. I’m going to speak to a private endro at the end of this week and he can look at my figures and see what tests he could advise. Until then I really don’t want to eat too much at all, I’ve spotted a lot of people on here do fasting and it’s supposed to be good and I know I got my numbers down doing it before so it’s worth a shot again I feel. My prob is I don’t know what I can eat safely without putting my numbers up. Like at 1.45pm I had a 3 egg ommlette with grated cheese, almond milk - no added sugars, few onions and handful of spinach 5.5 mmol/l before and 2 hours later 6mmol/l so that was too much of a rise wasn’t it? My hand shook with almond milk so landed a lot in instead of just a dollop. I’m so depressed if I’m honest, I just want to die. I have no life now always chasing my numbers. CPN going to phone tomorrow but really there is nothing anyone can do to make me feel better. This is my life now. I really can’t be bothered with my kids or family. I just want to sleep forever but that’s awful for blood sugars.
I mean help for your mental health.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The idea of fasting is not to reduce food intake. Its to stop eating for a while - perhaps 18 - 24 hours, while still keeping up your fluid intake, then making up for the meals by eating a days amount of food in one or two meals close together. It is simply to give your pancreas a rest between meals by extending the continuous non-eating time in a day.

I assume you are not breastfeeding?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had hyperememsis gravidarum
THis is important. There is a physiological condition where enforced non-eating, such as in this condition, can affect your bodies hunger rhythms. It can mimic anorexia nervosa and needs treatment both physically and psychologically. Often anti-anxiety medicine is needed for a while.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
THis is important. There is a physiological condition where enforced non-eating, such as in this condition, can affect your bodies hunger rhythms. It can mimic anorexia nervosa and needs treatment both physically and psychologically. Often anti-anxiety medicine is needed for a while.

Thank you for your reply. when I was pregnant and had HG I did eat and wanted to but unfortunately was sick everything up including water. Practically lived in the hospital getting rehydrated. No I’m not breastfeeding atm had to stop pumping cause of my tablets.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your replies. I’m gonna get counselling. Can I ask you guys something please? So I’ve booked A doctor to look at my figures from CGM over last week. He’s big into low carb. Anyway last night I went to bed head splitting couldn’t sleep too anxious felt like my numbers where high and of course they were going up. Then that made me more stressed got up and down going to toilet and tossed and turned, felt tingling etc. Got up today 7.2mmol/l. My numbers have been 6’s all day even when I haven’t eat much. If I can get it down with my walk before bed to 5’s at least will they be even higher tomorrow am? HBA1c was 30 on Friday but before I said to private endro I have symptoms will he automatically diagnose me with these fasting numbers? Or will he want repeat bloods done which will give me a chance to get down these numbers myself? I’m so frightened hoping a pre-d. I almost don’t want to speak to endro now cause he’ll see these figures. :(

post edited by mod to remove name of doc

Last edited by a moderator:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your replies. I’m gonna get counselling. Can I ask you guys something please? So I’ve booked A doctor to look at my figures from CGM over last week. He’s big into low carb. Anyway last night I went to bed head splitting couldn’t sleep too anxious felt like my numbers where high and of course they were going up. Then that made me more stressed got up and down going to toilet and tossed and turned, felt tingling etc. Got up today 7.2mmol/l. My numbers have been 6’s all day even when I haven’t eat much. If I can get it down with my walk before bed to 5’s at least will they be even higher tomorrow am? HBA1c was 30 on Friday but before I said to private endro I have symptoms will he automatically diagnose me with these fasting numbers? Or will he want repeat bloods done which will give me a chance to get down these numbers myself? I’m so frightened hoping a pre-d. I almost don’t want to speak to endro now cause he’ll see these figures. :(
will you believe what the endo says? will you trust their assessment? When do you see or speak to the doctor? If you dont let him see your figures, he cant help you properly. Working from a position of facts and truth is always a good idea. I really think your mental health issues are clouding your judgement on this. When do you see a counsellor?

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
will you believe what the endo says? will you trust their assessment? When do you see or speak to your doctor? If you dont let him see your figures, he cant help you properly. Working from a position of facts and truth is always a good idea. I really think your mental health issues are clouding your judgement on this. When do you see a counsellor?

I speak to him via phone on Friday. I’m just so scared he’ll diagnose me. I’m really doing my best to get my numbers down. Counsellor was to phone me back today but didn’t. Do you think he’ll diagnose me honestly?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Only real thing you can say for certain in life.. is that nothing is certain.

Your hba1c seems good.. so a healthy diet.. not starving or stuffing yourself just plain old sensible.. like everyone should have . And the chances of you getting diabetes are about the same as the next person

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Only real thing you can say for certain in life.. is that nothing is certain.

Your hba1c seems good.. so a healthy diet.. not starving or stuffing yourself just plain old sensible.. like everyone should have . And the chances of you getting diabetes are about the same as the next person
Thanks mate, I agree nothing is certain in life. I’ve been fasting a lot today as didn’t want my number to go up anymore although did share a boiled egg with my wee son. Haven’t sat down apart from to feed the baby, when I do my numbers go up. I hope you are keeping well yourself. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rach612 stress will be pushing your numbers up regardless of diabetes. Please prioritise the counsellor. If an endo diagnoses you over the phone using your self reported fasting numbers alone without doing tests for himself he’d be negligent. Your hb1ac doesn’t support a diagnosis.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks mate, I agree nothing is certain in life. I’ve been fasting a lot today as didn’t want my number to go up anymore although did share a boiled egg with my wee son. Haven’t sat down apart from to feed the baby, when I do my numbers go up. I hope you are keeping well yourself. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Intermittent fasting includes eating a full days nutrition just in a smaller window. Simply not eating is starving.
Non diabetics still have rises in their numbers after eating. That’s totally normal. They can even go quite high briefly.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I was in the 6’s for fasting this am. I took a drink when up with baby so hopefully that got it down. Tee2 showed 5.3 after sip of water would the water have immediate effect. Maybe this Dexcom is reading high as when I checked it last night Tee2 +was still slightly lower than dexcom even after 10 mins for it to catch up. Think I won’t show endro my cgm now. Decided I can’t be being diagnosed. Need to put in it remission ASAP (again) prob is I have no more weight to loose.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not only can you not “be being diagnosed” I think it’s unlikely you would be with an hb1ac of 30. You already meet the terms for in remission/not yet meeting diagnosed levels. Yes you are at increased risk due to the GD. Yes it is wise to periodically check and avoid a carb heavy diet and maintain a healthy weight. But to fixate, starve with your eating and GH history and self diagnose based on purely the marginally raised fasting levels whilst under huge stress is only adding to your issues imo. For one thing I’d stop checking levels constantly for right now. Just do it occasionally and save yourself the worry and cost of a dexcom.

dehydration can have a some effect on levels. A small sip of water is unlikely to change things. All meters and devices have a degree of variability and allowable tolerance. You’ll rarely get identical readings even on the same meter even using the same meter and same drop of blood for example. Don’t take minor difference too seriously or indeed any reading as precise. But they are good enough to dose insulin so good enough to get an idea of general responses and trends.

Most of us that actually do have diabetes t2 limit our carbs as these are ones that cause the problem not all food. Then we focus on proteins and fats to lose, maintain or even add weight as desired.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thought I’d update you guys as you were so kind as to reply to me previously. I spoke to my private endro on Friday. He was lovely and looked at my figures. Unsure if he logged in and saw the fasting 7’s as we had sent him a download of 3 days previous to that which they weren’t in. Anyway he said he thinks I have undiagnosed PTSD (which I know I do) and that is causing inflammation, which in turn, is putting up my morning numbers. He is going to send me some vitamins, thinks my diet is very good, nearly too good and that I do need to be eating past 2.30pm, something low carb. He is going to do tests to see how stressed my body is. Can stress cause diabetes? Anyway I am trying to relax more and with low-carbing and exercising at night I’ve got my am numbers down so that makes me feel so much better. I had some low carb ‘porridge’ this am with flaxseed and chia seeds and is doesn’t seem to have had much effect on my BS. Yesterday I was at a family event so I brought my own low carb food, avoided all the carbs there. I would have loved a piece of the anniversary cake but did break my own rule and had a full pack (I actually didn’t think I was hungry) of co-op’s crispy bacon at 7.40pm on the way home. Did my usual 30min brisk walk before bed and FBS was 4.6 on dexcom and 3.8 on Tee2+.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thought I’d update you guys as you were so kind as to reply to me previously. I spoke to my private endro on Friday. He was lovely and looked at my figures. Unsure if he logged in and saw the fasting 7’s as we had sent him a download of 3 days previous to that which they weren’t in. Anyway he said he thinks I have undiagnosed PTSD (which I know I do) and that is causing inflammation, which in turn, is putting up my morning numbers. He is going to send me some vitamins, thinks my diet is very good, nearly too good and that I do need to be eating past 2.30pm, something low carb. He is going to do tests to see how stressed my body is. Can stress cause diabetes? Anyway I am trying to relax more and with low-carbing and exercising at night I’ve got my am numbers down so that makes me feel so much better. I had some low carb ‘porridge’ this am with flaxseed and chia seeds and is doesn’t seem to have had much effect on my BS. Yesterday I was at a family event so I brought my own low carb food, avoided all the carbs there. I would have loved a piece of the anniversary cake but did break my own rule and had a full pack (I actually didn’t think I was hungry) of co-op’s crispy bacon at 7.40pm on the way home. Did my usual 30min brisk walk before bed and FBS was 4.6 on dexcom and 3.8 on Tee2+.
I have PTSD and anxiety. It absolutely does put blood sugar levels up. I am glad your endo is on to this. Anything which reduces your stress will be good for blood sugar levels.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I have PTSD and anxiety. It absolutely does put blood sugar levels up. I am glad your endo is on to this. Anything which reduces your stress will be good for blood sugar levels.

I’m sorry to hear this. I can only imagine how difficult that is. I hope you are getting help for it.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m sorry to hear this. I can only imagine how difficult that is. I hope you are getting help for it.
Yes, thanks. I find that not eating enough increases my anxiety feelings and adrenalin, so if you are restricting your food then that also stresses the body, adding stress to stress, and causing the blood sugar levels to get caught up in a cycle of rising. Its a vicious circle. Did you say you have a low BMI? that makes the stress increase, raising blood sugar levels all by itself, without the added problem of anxiety etc.