T2 Levels all of the place

AngelBeauty77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.

I’m here to gain knowledge to try to help and support my partner who had his T2 under control but recently it’s been all over the place.

He was diagnosed T2 and lost 5stone and got his levels under control largely with diet and Glictazide x2 daily. (He had a negative reaction to Metformin so won’t take it)
He’s done so well and I’m extremely proud of him, however over the past 6 months he has been unwell more than well. When well his levels are controlled and consistently around 5 when he tests his blood at the end of the work day before tea.
He has been having some concerning periods of rapidly higher levels with symptoms such as peeing loads, blurred vision, dizzy spells ect Doc put him on a month trial of jardiance saying the glictizide may be stopping his pancreas working…taking glictizide in the am and jardiance in the pm and he was really poorly within 5 days. Ended up with thrush ( takes inhaled steroids for bad asthma) diagnosed throat, chest, stomach and respiratory infections and was then on high does perisidone and penicillin for 2/3 weeks also stopped from taking jardiance during this period.
He eventually started feeling better and was told to stop taking meds for the infections and trail jardiance again. We are day 3 and he is in a mess again. He’s dizzy, pain behind eyes, feels sick, coughing to the point of throwing up, shakes, blurred vision. Levels were relatively normal for him and back under control after his illness but then suddenly yesterday they started all over the place again for no particular reason I can see. His diet hadn’t been perfect for a couple days but also not awful, he’s normally very strict on using the traffic’s light system and will not eat anything with a red on it. He had a very active day Saturday digging and laying decking and bloods were really low at tea time and since then they have been varying wildly. Was on 19…then down to 1.5 within 4 hours….then back up to 13….then 5.4….then climbing for no apparent reason again then dropping suddenly again. I’m really concerned but he is a very proud man and won’t let me interfere or help and just wants to be left when he’s like this. He worries me as he becomes very low and says he is sick of feeling so ill which is understandable, but he also won’t accept any suggestions of aid or help. Any ideas how I can help or am I best to just let him be until he gets under control again?
I feel like it’s dejavu from when he trialed jardiance last but in his current metal/physical state he refuses to accept that and I know better to correct or force him when he’s feeling like this as he’s not himself and won’t remember it anyway.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @AngelBeauty77 , and welcome to the forum!
I'm sorry things are difficult at the moment for your husband. Would he be interested to join himself? If, as you say, "he also won’t accept any suggestions of aid or help" he might feel better hearing experiences from people who've 'walked the walk' than you relaying them to him as advice.

The thing standing out to me in your post was:
he’s normally very strict on using the traffic’s light system and will not eat anything with a red on it.
The traffic light system is not designed for people with diabetes. With diabetes we have trouble with carbohydrates, and the traffic light system is heavily weighted on fats, which aren't a problem.
You might like to have a read of this informative piece on the basics of diabetes: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

For a longer piece on food by one of our members you may find this informative: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

Reactions: AngelBeauty77

AngelBeauty77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your reply. He’s not newly diagnosed and a diabetic nurse advised him to sue the traffic light system when he was first diagnosed and weighted 21st. He now weighs 14.9 stone. I’m worried something has changed bio chemically or has underlying illness that can affect his T2 Diabetes. Also I am wondering if the high does steroids and penicillin can affect him days after the course has finished? Or if it’s a reaction to the Jardiance maybe.
He’s worked so hard to get his weight under control but he’s understandably very frustrated and when his bloods are spiking so high after just 900 calories today and still rising he’s about ready to give up. He’s been throwing up and has a massive thirst since 2 today as well and currently still not right. I’m worried as I’ve had to come back to my house to be with my children and he’s alone but just wants to sleep now

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
He’s been throwing up and has a massive thirst since 2 today as well
What is his blood glucose right now?
Throwing up, massive thirst and only wanting to sleep with high blood glucose is reason to call 111 for advice at least, this is a possible emergency.

after just 900 calories
It's not about the calories, it's about the carbs. The link titled 'for newly diagnosed diabetics' really is informative, even if you're not newly diagnosed.
Steroids can mess up diabetes big time.
But for now, I'd get medical help urgently if he shows high numbers and nausea.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
He’s been throwing up and has a massive thirst since 2 today as well and currently still not right. I’m worried as I’ve had to come back to my house to be with my children and he’s alone but just wants to sleep now
I think the high blood sugar is almost a given if he has a massive thirst. Ring 111 for advice, though it would be better if he does a blood test first. Jardiance increases the risks of diabetic ketoacidosis and that needs a trip to A&E, or he might fall asleep and not wake up.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your reply. He’s not newly diagnosed and a diabetic nurse advised him to sue the traffic light system when he was first diagnosed and weighted 21st. He now weighs 14.9 stone. I’m worried something has changed bio chemically or has underlying illness that can affect his T2 Diabetes. Also I am wondering if the high does steroids and penicillin can affect him days after the course has finished? Or if it’s a reaction to the Jardiance maybe.
He’s worked so hard to get his weight under control but he’s understandably very frustrated and when his bloods are spiking so high after just 900 calories today and still rising he’s about ready to give up. He’s been throwing up and has a massive thirst since 2 today as well and currently still not right. I’m worried as I’ve had to come back to my house to be with my children and he’s alone but just wants to sleep now
These symptoms - throwing up, high BG, etc, are warning signs. There is a possible risk of diabetic ketoacidosis, which is serious and potentially very harmful. Please contact 111 or A&E.

AngelBeauty77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all.
He’s convinced himself Diabetic ketoacidosis can only happen to T1 and that he’s had something dodgy to eat he won’t call 111 and is home alone as I’m now back at mine with my children so all I can do is wait it out now.
I am worried sick but as he ‘knows best’ about his illness and I’m a newbie to life with a diabetic all I can do is arm myself with knowledge and gently help him when he lets me. He’s a wonderful but strong willed 50 yr be old man that doesn’t accept help often

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all.
He’s convinced himself Diabetic ketoacidosis can only happen to T1 and that he’s had something dodgy to eat he won’t call 111 and is home alone as I’m now back at mine with my children so all I can do is wait it out now.
I am worried sick but as he ‘knows best’ about his illness and I’m a newbie to life with a diabetic all I can do is arm myself with knowledge and gently help him when he lets me. He’s a wonderful but strong willed 50 yr be old man that doesn’t accept help often
DKA can, and will happen to type twos, and the trafficlight system should never have been advised as it simply doesn't apply to diabetics, it indicates the sugar, not the total carbohydrates. I am sorry to break this news so late in the day, and you not being with him - I just hope that all goes well - perhaps if you can show him this forum tomorrow it might help to sort out all that is going on.
Some nurses, and even doctors just have no idea at all of the proper management of diabetes.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope your partner is stable now.
I take 2 big takeaways from your postings

Huge weight loss without increase in inulin sensitivity = Possibility of T1
Steroids !!!! = Known Glucose Issues

AngelBeauty77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
DKA can, and will happen to type twos, and the trafficlight system should never have been advised as it simply doesn't apply to diabetics, it indicates the sugar, not the total carbohydrates. I am sorry to break this news so late in the day, and you not being with him - I just hope that all goes well - perhaps if you can show him this forum tomorrow it might help to sort out all that is going on.
Some nurses, and even doctors just have no idea at all of the proper management of diabetes.

Thank you, my plan is to get as many responses as I can and show him when he returns to his more normal self. It’s very hard to have any constructive conversation with him when his sugars are so high…which I understand is completely normal also.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, my plan is to get as many responses as I can and show him when he returns to his more normal self. It’s very hard to have any constructive conversation with him when his sugars are so high…which I understand is completely normal also.

He is so lucky to have you, you are a treasure

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Prednisolone, as above post, really upsets BG.

What about dehydration? Jardiance certainly causes increase in urine output. Clinical condition sounds like dehydration. Phone 111

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
DKA is a known side effect of T2s treated with jardiance. His symptoms are very very scary. I am really concerned that he may slip into a coma overnight.
Jardiance: Side Effects and How to Manage Them (healthline.com)
In particular, look at the warnings for jardiance section and scroll down to the DKA section.

Good luck. Your partner is very lucky to have you to look out for him.

AngelBeauty77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Prednisolone, as above post, really upsets BG.

What about dehydration? Jardiance certainly causes increase in urine output. Clinical condition sounds like dehydration. Phone 111

He’s drunk at least 8 pints of water throughout the day?

AngelBeauty77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your replies so far.
He said was up a lot in the night and his reading was 17.9 on waking. He had 3 poached eggs for breakfast which he threw up 20 mins later he says he’s drinking loads of water and has gone into work….
I won’t see him till tonight but I’m just going to stay in close contact by message and hope he gets through the day not feeling as bad as yesterday.
He keeps telling me not to worry about him as he’ll be fine and can look after himself. He hates being mollycoddled so I can only do so much.
He’s doing everything he’s been taught to with his diet and I’m so proud of him for that but it’s a delicate balance as to approaching the fact he may have been misinformed at diagnosis by the diabetic team that advised his diet because he’s been so good at following the advise he was given. It’s so frustrating x

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I won’t see him till tonight but I’m just going to stay in close contact by message and hope he gets through the day not feeling as bad as yesterday.
He keeps telling me not to worry about him as he’ll be fine and can look after himself. He hates being mollycoddled so I can only do so much.
Close to impossible to help someone when they don't want you to. Do you think you could get him to test for ketones tonight? You could buy some ketostix today for him to test his urine tonight, 'just to make you feel better' if you like.

Duncan_Scott

Type of diabetes
Type 2
DKA is a known side effect of T2s treated with jardiance. His symptoms are very very scary. I am really concerned that he may slip into a coma overnight.
Jardiance: Side Effects and How to Manage Them (healthline.com)
In particular, look at the warnings for jardiance section and scroll down to the DKA section.

Good luck. Your partner is very lucky to have you to look out for him.
Hi, I was diagnosed as type 2 for 14 years and was reasonably well controlled. I started a low carb diet (nothing extreme) around a year ago ...6 months ago my diabetic consultant put me on Jaridance duo ...the result was I ended up with severe yeast infections and DKA and was in hospital for 9 days ...he didn't explain the side affects or advise getting ketone strips.
A new consultant has suggested that I am more type one than type 2. My advice would be to get some ketone strips and test. Also check that he is definitely Type 2. I would stay well clear of Jardiance duo. I hope things go well for you both.