Do you ALWAYS carry your diabetes gear? (insulin and glucose meter)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
My answer to the opening question is 'no'. The only thing I always have is Glucojuice and I keep 1 in the car and 1 in the pocket of whatever jacket/coat I am wearing that day.

If we're just going on a quick shopping trip I only take the Glucojuice. If out for a meal, I test my glucose before we leave, and take a needle and pen with me to shoot up at the eating place.

If I'm going to work then I take the whole kit so that I can retest before driving home - currently using a Sainsbury's metal sandwich box. No compartments so it's not a solution to suit the fastidious as it tends to get a bit jumbled - but it does what it needs to do.
upload_2021-3-21_12-30-34.png

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I only take my test kit when driving and then I leave it in the car. When I used to go clubbing I never took anything out with me either. I don’t feel the need to carry anything like that, if I start feeling shaky I just buy something to eat.

Reactions: tinka21

cheftux

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have much to add other than I am thrilled this made into a thread. I recently went back to the states and part of my shopping was specifically designed at finding things for my diabetes kit. I got a camping sling bag, it's very similar to a backpack but just smaller and a little more euro friendly. I also got a Frio wallet, so big shout out to whom ever mentioned that earlier.

I really am glad that this made it into a thread, it's very stressful and a lot of added pressure to add a diabetes go bag to your every day routine. My wife and I have a mantra of 'phone, phone, wallet, keys mask' (we're a tiny bit OCD) and adding all of the pens, testers, snacks etc. has been less than fun.

Bravo

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
A bit late to the party, but YES, that way I am always prepared.

webmuppet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m not sure if I’m being a bit reckless but I rarely take any diabetic kit with me when I’m out on my bike, I reason that the exercise will increase insulin sensitivity and only result in low numbers so I’ll often have a slice of of cake with my mid-ride coffee and carry energy bars/gels with me in case I feel low. If I’m going for a whole day ride (Summer only) I’ll carry a meter and possibly my Novorapid ...... as for clubbing, I’m getting to the age where it’s just a distant memory !