covid

jan.steamqueen67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi i am getting more and more annoyed, as on social media and on news all i see is the people who have had vaccine and headlines must get people vaccinated I am type 2 had covid last October and now long covid, various symptoms, loosing hair about 50 % of my hair at the moment, blood pressure higher than normal, blood sugar higher than normal and now problem s with liver this has all been since covid, i had pretty good control before i had covid, now its great if you can be vaccinated, brilliant but there is no mention anywhere of those like me who cannot have the vaccine, due to previous adverse allergic reaction history, i badly react to the flu jab so cannot have it and react to a few medications and unexplaned rashes, now i went for the vaccine in february but after the questions on my history backed up with pictures i have kept of the reactions they said they could not give it to me, as i have had covid i could react worse due to my history and on seeing the pictures they would not let me have it they told me to contact the vaccination centre, which i did do, email came back that they would have to pass my email to a doctor for an opinion. Finally got another email back which said to do a allergy test and to speak to ,my gp, which i did who knows i have already had allergy testing done in the past and they could not pinpoint the exact causes of some of my allergies and with what i have going on at the moment, scans and that to do with my liver come first, i work for the NHS and have been off work i was not sheilding in the beginning but in March i recieved a sheilding letter for 12 weeks, which was cut short as the goverment annouced sheilding was to end on the 31st March but my occuy health department would not let me back in work untill spoken with their gp, along with the nurse and the doctor both have advised for me not to get the vaccine at the moment their words where i am unsuitable for the vaccine. occuy health have now cleared me so I am going back to work in a couple of weeks, so a bit nervous but have to go back now.

My reaction to the flu jab was swollen face, both eyelids swelled that much i could not see out of my eyes much for a few days then very red rash for a few weeks on the face, and chest, similar thing happened with some medications, another rash was very large lumps on arms legs, not pleasant and but me out of action for a few weeks so i am no way chancing the vaccine, just why is this never mentioned anywhere, i know i am not on my own but do we not matter, anyway sorry for the long post, i am just wondering on here is there anyone else who cannot have the vaccine thanks Janine

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you have a valid medical reason why you should not have it (and yours certainly sounds like it) then realise that those comments do NOT apply to you.

Now, the head of my department at work is refusing to have it because he doesn't like needles, now that's not a valid reason at all

Reactions: Diane fluteplayer

jan.steamqueen67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you have a valid medical reason why you should not have it (and yours certainly sounds like it) then realise that those comments do NOT apply to you.

Now, the head of my department at work is refusing to have it because he doesn't like needles, now that's not a valid reason at all
Yes can understand that, needle thing dont worry me, get used to that being diabetic, going for bloods and that

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi i am getting more and more annoyed, as on social media and on news all i see is the people who have had vaccine and headlines must get people vaccinated I am type 2 had covid last October and now long covid, various symptoms, loosing hair about 50 % of my hair at the moment, blood pressure higher than normal, blood sugar higher than normal and now problem s with liver this has all been since covid, i had pretty good control before i had covid, now its great if you can be vaccinated, brilliant but there is no mention anywhere of those like me who cannot have the vaccine, due to previous adverse allergic reaction history, i badly react to the flu jab so cannot have it and react to a few medications and unexplaned rashes, now i went for the vaccine in february but after the questions on my history backed up with pictures i have kept of the reactions they said they could not give it to me, as i have had covid i could react worse due to my history and on seeing the pictures they would not let me have it they told me to contact the vaccination centre, which i did do, email came back that they would have to pass my email to a doctor for an opinion. Finally got another email back which said to do a allergy test and to speak to ,my gp, which i did who knows i have already had allergy testing done in the past and they could not pinpoint the exact causes of some of my allergies and with what i have going on at the moment, scans and that to do with my liver come first, i work for the NHS and have been off work i was not sheilding in the beginning but in March i recieved a sheilding letter for 12 weeks, which was cut short as the goverment annouced sheilding was to end on the 31st March but my occuy health department would not let me back in work untill spoken with their gp, along with the nurse and the doctor both have advised for me not to get the vaccine at the moment their words where i am unsuitable for the vaccine. occuy health have now cleared me so I am going back to work in a couple of weeks, so a bit nervous but have to go back now.

My reaction to the flu jab was swollen face, both eyelids swelled that much i could not see out of my eyes much for a few days then very red rash for a few weeks on the face, and chest, similar thing happened with some medications, another rash was very large lumps on arms legs, not pleasant and but me out of action for a few weeks so i am no way chancing the vaccine, just why is this never mentioned anywhere, i know i am not on my own but do we not matter, anyway sorry for the long post, i am just wondering on here is there anyone else who cannot have the vaccine thanks Janine

If you have had COVID then you have a far better naturally acquired immunity than any artificial vaccine will give you.
Why are you bothered?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I wouldn’t worry. Having had covid, you are partially protected from future infection.
It also appears that there are very few re-infections, and those that happen are mild.

in addition, so many people have now come forward to be vaccinated, that the numbers of infections and deaths in the UK have plummeted, and are currently very low, so you are less and less likely to be exposed to the virus.

Reactions: oldgreymare

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really sorry you are still feeling bad with long covid and I had heard that if you have a) previously had covid and b) suffer from autoimmune conditions then the vaccine is a risk on the other hand this is possibly something making it worthwhile to discuss with your GP or colleague you trust!

https://www.healthline.com/health-n...e-improve-symptoms-for-people-with-long-covid

I don't think it is ethical for you to take the vaccine JUST to protect others. Unless they are like you they can take the vaccine and with a large number either naturally immune (formerly known as asymptomatic) or vaccinated or have knowingly had it, then transmissions will be less and less though never zero prior to Season 3 by which time I am hoping we will be living with it as an endemic seasonal virus.

Best wishes with moving forward and your return to work.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had Covid and have long covid. I had the jab to help protect those, like yourself, who are unable to have it. I hope most people are prepared to do this.
Yes, protecting those who cannot be vaccinated is important. @jan.steamqueen67 I hope this thread reassures you that any comments about you not being vaccinated should be ignored.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, protecting those who cannot be vaccinated is important. @jan.steamqueen67 I hope this thread reassures you that any comments about you not being vaccinated should be ignored.
OP's been vaccinated naturally by catching the virus! She has been advised not to take further vaccination due to previous allergic reactions. I assume we're still allowed to disagree with the ethics of choosing not to be vaccinated as per the Nuremburg convention.

Reactions: Flora123

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I’d imagine it is really frustrating for you. Unlike others that can take action and ‘do their bit’, you have already done everything you can and are reliant upon everyone else being vaccinated. I’d imagine the increased talk about booster jabs in Autumn is just making it worse too.

It wouldn’t hurt if some of the messaging encouraging vaccination highlighted the need to protect others in your situation & not just ourselves/ immediate contacts. I hope you have friends and family that are supporting you and I wish you well with your long covid recovery.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OP's been vaccinated naturally by catching the virus! She has been advised not to take further vaccination due to previous allergic reactions. I assume we're still allowed to disagree with the ethics of choosing not to be vaccinated as per the Nuremburg convention.
I don't understand this post.

I am affirming that the op is right to not get vaccinated under the circumstances.

And affirming that she or he will benefit from the protection by those who are able to be vaccinated, reducing the risks for people in her situation.

And no, having had covid is not giving the same level of protection as vaccination.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
please provide reputable references for that statement.
Screenshot 2021-05-05 at 16.59.10.png

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdch/Waiver_Ed_Natural_Immunity_479884_7.pdf

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could you provide a reference for that, please?

so you have no specific reference that relates to covid?
Just a general ‘it happens with some/most/many viruses, so ‘common sense’ means it must be true of covid.

I prefer to wait for actual evidence, since covid behaves in ways that vary significantly from some/most/many viruses.

edited to add: thank you. Your second post gives an actual study on covid. I will read it now. :)

edited again, to add: What a pity. The study you linked to is for a minute number of people (compared with, say, the population of Israel, or the UK) over 5 months, they only compared natural immunity with the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine, not the other vaccines, and they used old outdated figures claiming the AZ is only effective at 62.1%. They should update that.
@bulkbiker I still don’t think your blanket claim is validated by that study. Got any more?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Snoddy