Insulin neuritis

Kgoolsbee

Hi everyone, so today I was told I have a rare complication of bringing blood sugars quickly under control. So rare that even google struggles to inform me about the condition lol.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone else has experienced the above? My GP says it should clear up once the nerves in my legs and feet start to repair themselves. I'm worried I'll be left with permanent leg pain and stuff.

Anyone?

Thanks
I am wondering if I have got this. My glucose levels have halved since being diagnosed in November with diet metformin and Januvia. About a week ago I started to get severe leg and hip pain at night. It is a deep aching pain running down from my pelvis to my calves. I can only get relief by walking up and down or having a hot bath. I have tried over the counter pain meds but they only give relief for an hour or so. I have bought some magnesium and vitamin b and will go to my diabetic Doctor later today. I have a demanding job and the pain and lack of sleep are taking their toll. If I knew this is temporary and just due the drop in sugar levels I would be reassured. Any advice welcome and my sympathies to all of you who are up in the wee small hours with this awful pain.

I’m researching about neuritis and want to ask if your pain ever cleared up? My husband has a burning pain since February and his A1C came down from 13%. I’m trying to find someone who experienced this and want to know of it can clear up once your bs numbers are in control.

Caprock94

I’m researching about neuritis and want to ask if your pain ever cleared up? My husband has a burning pain since February and his A1C came down from 13%. I’m trying to find someone who experienced this and want to know of it can clear up once your bs numbers are in control.

I'm about 20 months in with this now. Still there, but better than it was in the early weeks/months. Hoping for continued improvement.

Moggies12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

See my post on the previous page for reassurance :)
Hope he sees an improvement soon.

Moggies12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad you got through this! Did you do anything in terms of exercise/supplements/etc that helped?
Thank you, I feel for anyone going through it.
It really is just like a bad dream now. I took B vitamins & Alpha-lipoic acid as well as the demon Tramadol but TBH I think it was so bad at the time that very little helped. Sorry to say that time really was the only healer.
When I was going through it I couldn't believe it would ever improve but it did and left no after-effects.

Reactions: Firefly1

Caprock94

Thank you, I feel for anyone going through it.
It really is just like a bad dream now. I took B vitamins & Alpha-lipoic acid as well as the demon Tramadol but TBH I think it was so bad at the time that very little helped. Sorry to say that time really was the only healer.
When I was going through it I couldn't believe it would ever improve but it did and left no after-effects.

Thanks for the reply. Glad you are doing well!

kellyb8511

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything about diabetes
Hi

I know this is an old thread. I’m currently going through this now and it’s awful

I almost died at Christmas after ending up in hospital with diabetic ketoacidosis. My hba1c was 14.5% quite a few of the doctors mentioned they had never seen a hba1c so high in all their career. This was due to me basically stopping insulin due to diabetic anorexia for years. I would have a tiny amount each day. Not enough to lower my sugar levels but enough to keep me alive. Anyway I have completely changed my life around and since the hospital I have taken my insulin religiously and never gone above 9 I haven’t had my hba1c done but looking at my libra link it’s showing a hba1c of 6.1%
I had to go for a few eye exams and currently having eye injections for diabetic maculopathy, which I was told it was due to my years of high sugar levels but this only started in January. This last 2 weeks have been awful though. It started by my feet burning so doctors put me on pregabalin this burning has become unbearable and now the pains I’m experiencing are excruciating. It’s really impacting my life. I’m struggling to walk. I had a bath yesterday which eased the pains in my legs but made my feet feel a million times worse and felt like I was being electrocuted in my feet and toes. I have codeine but I have had them for years (some other issue) so I have increased the amount of those to take the edge off but now I’m fearing overdose! Someone please give me help on the pain management. I understand this is a temporary issue with reducing my hba1c rapidly but I just can’t stand the pain. I have 2 young children and a dog and also quite demanding work so I need to be able to get out of bed without crying in pain.
Please help

Moggies12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Kelly, I’m so sorry to hear what you’re going through.

It’s so ironic that doing ‘the right thing’ has such horrible side effects, albeit temporary. I know it’s almost impossible to think it’ll ever improve but it will. I know getting through what’s happening now is hard.

Looking back at my previous comments on this thread, the one thing I hadn’t mentioned that helped a little (without the horrendous Tramadol side effects and withdrawal difficulties) was BuTrans 7-day pain patches. They’re heavy stuff and obviously your doc would say if they are suitable for you. (I used an anti-histamine spray prior to putting them on as they made my skin itch but that’s another story!)

I was lucky that my doctors were ‘interested’ in my case as it’s relatively unusual and were willing to jump through hoops to try to find the right way to help me.

I hope you find something to help soon.

Cathy

Firefly1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kelly, I’m so sorry to hear what you’re going through.

It’s so ironic that doing ‘the right thing’ has such horrible side effects, albeit temporary. I know it’s almost impossible to think it’ll ever improve but it will. I know getting through what’s happening now is hard.

Looking back at my previous comments on this thread, the one thing I hadn’t mentioned that helped a little (without the horrendous Tramadol side effects and withdrawal difficulties) was BuTrans 7-day pain patches. They’re heavy stuff and obviously your doc would say if they are suitable for you. (I used an anti-histamine spray prior to putting them on as they made my skin itch but that’s another story!)

I was lucky that my doctors were ‘interested’ in my case as it’s relatively unusual and were willing to jump through hoops to try to find the right way to help me.

I hope you find something to help soon.

Cathy
Hi all, I know this is an older thread but I too am battling TIND per my neurologist. I was diagnosed with T2D with an A1c of 12.5 on August 4th, 2022 and brought it down to 8.1 on October 24th, 6.8 on November 23rd and 6.2 on December 21st. Probably was T2 for 2 years or so.

Around 8/23/22, give or take a day or two, I started to intensely incorporate a strict LCHF diet & exercise and lost 35 pounds.

Around 10/21/22, give or take a day or two, the bilateral burning feet and soles at night started and was at its peak between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I would start to sweat after dinner, feet would feel like they were freezing and 10 minutes later they were red and felt like on fire. To the point where only cool/cold showers were all I could take as warm water felt like hot coals. It has subsided a lot but I occasionally still get cold and hot toes. It went from feet and soles to just toes (2-3 toes bilaterally) now. I also had zaps and jolts in feet but those have stopped. I do still get cramping pain in toes at night.

My A1c today is around 5.8 so hoping this TIND goes away soon. I am taking R-ALA and Benfotiamine. From all the literature I’ve read on TIND, it should clear over time provided you keep A1c in check. I was also told by neurologist it will clear over time. Could be months, could be 1-2 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lrlp

Firefly1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I know this is an old thread. I’m currently going through this now and it’s awful

I almost died at Christmas after ending up in hospital with diabetic ketoacidosis. My hba1c was 14.5% quite a few of the doctors mentioned they had never seen a hba1c so high in all their career. This was due to me basically stopping insulin due to diabetic anorexia for years. I would have a tiny amount each day. Not enough to lower my sugar levels but enough to keep me alive. Anyway I have completely changed my life around and since the hospital I have taken my insulin religiously and never gone above 9 I haven’t had my hba1c done but looking at my libra link it’s showing a hba1c of 6.1%
I had to go for a few eye exams and currently having eye injections for diabetic maculopathy, which I was told it was due to my years of high sugar levels but this only started in January. This last 2 weeks have been awful though. It started by my feet burning so doctors put me on pregabalin this burning has become unbearable and now the pains I’m experiencing are excruciating. It’s really impacting my life. I’m struggling to walk. I had a bath yesterday which eased the pains in my legs but made my feet feel a million times worse and felt like I was being electrocuted in my feet and toes. I have codeine but I have had them for years (some other issue) so I have increased the amount of those to take the edge off but now I’m fearing overdose! Someone please give me help on the pain management. I understand this is a temporary issue with reducing my hba1c rapidly but I just can’t stand the pain. I have 2 young children and a dog and also quite demanding work so I need to be able to get out of bed without crying in pain.
Please help
Kelly, how are you feeling now?

Firefly1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the reply. Glad you are doing well!
Hey there, wanted to check in to see how you’re doing with this. I’m about 11 months in and still battling the stinging toes. Mainly 1-2 toes on each foot. Happens between 5-6 pm and lasts for a couple hours. Did this ever clear for you?

Caprock94

Hey there, wanted to check in to see how you’re doing with this. I’m about 11 months in and still battling the stinging toes. Mainly 1-2 toes on each foot. Happens between 5-6 pm and lasts for a couple hours. Did this ever clear for you?

Sorry, I'm just now seeing this. Mine has not cleared 100%, but its to a very tolerable level now. There are days when I don't notice it at all, and others where it flares up a bit. All in all, its manageable. Thanks for asking! Hoping your situation improves soon. It takes time.

Reactions: Firefly1

Firefly1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, I'm just now seeing this. Mine has not cleared 100%, but its to a very tolerable level now. There are days when I don't notice it at all, and others where it flares up a bit. All in all, its manageable. Thanks for asking! Hoping your situation improves soon. It takes time.
Same boat. I’ve gone 3-4 days without issue and then out of the blue, a flare up.

Jantype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My feet have become so painful since I was diagnosed with diabetes in June 2023. My hb went from 11 to 7.1 in three months. I had no idea that it was a consequence of diabetes. I mentioned it to my endo and she tested my feet for nerve loss!!! I said no it's the opposite and she didn't seem to know what I was talking about....
I have burning in my feet mainly at night and I have to get up and rinse with cold water then apply cream otherwise they itch and get hot again. Cramps, nerve spasms, and a bone crunching feeling which is the worst pain I've ever had. It does seem to be wearing off but I have to stick to wearing old lady shoes, no heels, no constriction, otherwise I can't walk to the end of the drive! It affects my hands also but to a leaser extent.
I really feel bad for those of you who have suffered and are still suffering debilitating pain. Keep strong xxx