Query re Libre Sensor during Radiotherapy

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks

My question is, "Are there any known issues related with wearing Libre Sensor during radiotherapy (3 weeks/15 sessions to boob, re Breast Cancer) ?" I'm hoping someone will have some information / or have asked the question themselves.

I'm having treatment for Breast Cancer - lumpectomy, radiotherapy and hormone-blockers. Having 'fallen of the wagon' many months ago, I'm trying very hard to get back into LCHF hence wanting to use the Libre Sensors again.

I have to admit I wear the sensor on my upper thigh as, up until this treatment, I've only had the one arm to place the sensor (high risk of lymphoedema when lymph nodes have been removed, even if only a few for biopsy sake) so now I'm really not wise to use either arm. Of course, Abbott will still maintain they are unlikely to accept alternative sites etc which is really my own responsibility, although, if I have faulty sensors etc, I do hope they will manage to show some compassion and understanding etc ;) I buy them, not get on prescription :(

Obviously, I will ask the radioographers, when I can, but thought someone on here might happen to know.

Thanks for any help.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear about your breast cancer @Energize

I recently underwent a chest x-ray and a CT scan (chest and abdomen) and was allowed to keep the Libre sensor on - it was on my upper arm.

Wishing you all the best for successful treatment.

Lakeslover

I have no actual knowledge of wearing a sensor during radiotherapy, but logically it’s a long way away from the radiotherapy site (and there is no restriction on wearing anything with metal in) so I can’t see a problem. As you say best to ask the radiotherapists.

I also have lymphodema following breast cancer, so I always use the other arm for my libre. I find moving it around to different sites on the same arm works, and I don’t get any variability between sensors. Much better than constant finger pricks when you can only use one hand!

hope the radiotherapy goes well. Rest plenty, and be prepared to continue feeling tired for a while after it finishes.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are there any known issues related with wearing Libre Sensor during radiotherapy (3 weeks/15 sessions to boob, re Breast Cancer) ?
Radiotherapy is VERY localised, they aim the therapy exactly where they want to treat.
With your sensors on your thigh I can't imagine they would be affected by the therapy at all.

Wish you all the best for the oncoming period!

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear about your breast cancer @Energize

I recently underwent a chest x-ray and a CT scan (chest and abdomen) and was allowed to keep the Libre sensor on - it was on my upper arm.

Wishing you all the best for successful treatment.
Thanks so much, @Goonergal
Great to see you again ;)
Sorry you've been unwell recently (assumption on my part re you needing xray and CT) I do hope you are feeling better / progressing well etc.
Thanks very much for that {{{Hugs}}}

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have no actual knowledge of wearing a sensor during radiotherapy, but logically it’s a long way away from the radiotherapy site (and there is no restriction on wearing anything with metal in) so I can’t see a problem. As you say best to ask the radiotherapists.

I also have lymphodema following breast cancer, so I always use the other arm for my libre. I find moving it around to different sites on the same arm works, and I don’t get any variability between sensors. Much better than constant finger pricks when you can only use one hand!

hope the radiotherapy goes well. Rest plenty, and be prepared to continue feeling tired for a while after it finishes.
Hi @Lakeslover

Many thanks. Sorry to hear you've been through Breast Cancer too. Bit of a 'what's it' eh? Really sorry to hear you've got lymphodema too. I can't imagine what you must be dealing with. I understand it can be rather painful, apart from inconvienient and having to wear the support. Fortunately, I've only had 7 lymph nodes taken 9 yrs ago and 2 this year (fantastic improvements with Senstinal biopsy eh?) Hopefully, I won't have the (dis)pleasure of experiencing it.

I agree it would be some way away from targeted area and I have been able to keep metal necklace in situ, but the 'bits' moved to the opposite shoulder area. I hadn't thought of that until reading the responses here.

Yes, I'll check tomorrow and, all being well, will apply new one tomorrow, after treatment. ;)
Many thanks

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Radiotherapy is VERY localised, they aim the therapy exactly where they want to treat.
With your sensors on your thigh I can't imagine they would be affected by the therapy at all.

Wish you all the best for the oncoming period!
Hi @Antje77

How good to see you're still here. I hope you're doing OK still. You've been an inspiration, to me, for some time (apologies @Goonergal , I include you here too ;))

Thanks for the very sensible and rational thoughts. Yes, having thought about this while reading responses, I realise I should have been able to think it through a bit, especially as I'm a 'logical' mindset (helpful as memory very bad LOL)

I'll (hopefully) remember to check with the radiologists tomorrow. Have to say, they're all absolutely fantastic :)

Thanks again

Lakeslover

Mine was nearly 10 years ago now. I developed the lymphodema three years later, but it is mile. I rarely wear the sleeve now (just for long drives and flying)as it is stable. I did have all my lymph nodes removed as the sentinel node was positive, but luckily the rest were clear. I finish tomoxifen early next year....one less tablet to take

Watch out for anaemia after rads and combined with Metformin. 1 year afterwards the doctors finally tested me and I was very anaemic.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much, @Goonergal
Great to see you again ;)
Sorry you've been unwell recently (assumption on my part re you needing xray and CT) I do hope you are feeling better / progressing well etc.
Thanks very much for that {{{Hugs}}}

Good to see you too, and thanks for the good wishes. Nothing as serious as you’re going through though. Take care.

Hello all, first post!

I felt I may have some info to provide.
Spoke with Abbott CS just now regarding the use of the Libre 2 sensor & Radiotherapy & their guidance is to remove the sensor for the duration of the treatment.

But they also said they would send me a replacement because I would have to remove my sensor before it expired.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: Antje77