Husband’s death

mitch41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Husband was very ill after a stroke. He was at home unable to walk,dementia and TYpe 1 diabetes. Blood sugar low before evening meal so gave him no insulin.Still low at 11 pm so gave him snack. Next morning he was still low gave him breakfast Carers got him dressed and back to bed. He became unconscious and died peacefully two days later.GP said another stroke but was it? Was he in a diabetic coma?

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Husband was very ill after a stroke. He was at home unable to walk,dementia and TYpe 1 diabetes. Blood sugar low before evening meal so gave him no insulin.Still low at 11 pm so gave him snack. Next morning he was still low gave him breakfast Carers got him dressed and back to bed. He became unconscious and died peacefully two days later.GP said another stroke but was it? Was he in a diabetic coma?
I'm so sorry, but I am also glad it was a peaceful end.

Reactions: mitch41

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @mitch41 , and welcome.
I'm so sorry to hear about your husband.
GP said another stroke but was it? Was he in a diabetic coma?
I think there is no way to tell for sure what the exact cause of death was with this information.
It does sound like you did all the right things though, and to me this does not sound like what I would expect from going unconscious because of low blood sugar, so my first thought is the GP's explanation making more sense than diabetes as a cause.

I wish you a lot of strength and good memories.

mitch41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @mitch41 , and welcome.
I'm so sorry to hear about your husband.

I think there is no way to tell for sure what the exact cause of death was with this information.
It does sound like you did all the right things though, and to me this does not sound like what I would expect from going unconscious because of low blood sugar, so my first thought is the GP's explanation making more sense than diabetes as a cause.

I wish you a lot of strength and good memories.

Thank you.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @mitch41 ,

I'm sorry for your loss.
My Type 2 father had vascular dementia through a possible series on "mini strokes." I know he had at least one.
He was non medded, however prior to his demise he was testig low too. There was also very little of my father's consciousness left.
The brain is a little like the "ECU" on a car (engine management system?) this subcontiously manages the body in various ways.?

I appreciate your husband was insulin dependant. & your GP has given you a reason.
During our grief we also search for our own answers?

It may help you to find breavment counselling. Greif can understandably cloud how we somtimes reason.

Best wishes.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Mitch, I do hope you have support from others as this is very sad. My Mum (who was 82) had dementia and was also type 1 for around 40 years. When she was at the end, she too was bed bound. We were able to be with her and observe what was going on for a few months so we were very lucky although we did know she was dying. In our case in the last few days her glucose suddenly went low for no apparent reason, she hadn't been eating much but that had been the case for at least a month. We were told that in her case her body was getting ready to 'pass' and so internally all her systems were shutting down including those mechanisms pertinent to type 1. In other words, her low glucose readings were nothing to do with a diabetic coma in the traditional sense but more a symptom of her overall deteriorating health contributing to the lower levels. She had had a couple of mini strokes in the weeks before too and this was put down as a contributing factor to her death, if not the cause of death BUT she was 82. I know I haven't answered your question but my guess is that it was NOT a diabetic coma but the stroke LEADING to the lower levels, there is NOTHING you could have done that you didn't do, your husband is LUCKY to have had you there caring for him. x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sending my condolences @mitch41 at this very sad time, it's natural to want answers and time will help to heal. I can't offer any advice but I hope you are being supported, take good care.

Reactions: Bea56 and Hopeful34

mitch41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Mitch, I do hope you have support from others as this is very sad. My Mum (who was 82) had dementia and was also type 1 for around 40 years. When she was at the end, she too was bed bound. We were able to be with her and observe what was going on for a few months so we were very lucky although we did know she was dying. In our case in the last few days her glucose suddenly went low for no apparent reason, she hadn't been eating much but that had been the case for at least a month. We were told that in her case her body was getting ready to 'pass' and so internally all her systems were shutting down including those mechanisms pertinent to type 1. In other words, her low glucose readings were nothing to do with a diabetic coma in the traditional sense but more a symptom of her overall deteriorating health contributing to the lower levels. She had had a couple of mini strokes in the weeks before too and this was put down as a contributing factor to her death, if not the cause of death BUT she was 82. I know I haven't answered your question but my guess is that it was NOT a diabetic coma but the stroke LEADING to the lower levels, there is NOTHING you could have done that you didn't do, your husband is LUCKY to have had you there caring for him. x
Thank you

mitch41

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Can’t help with your question but just wanted to say I’m so sorry for your loss. Your husband was very fortunate to have you.

Reactions: KK123

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm so sorry to read this and i hope you can find peace in the many loving memories of better times xxx

Reactions: Rach612