Type 2 Completely lost!

Lezstock1

Hi, had been feeling really unwell for about 4 weeks, GP did urine and blood tests and rang back to say I’d 2 separate infections, prescribed 2 antibiotics. Felt a little better until completion of antibiotics then took really ill and after being asleep for 36 hours straight admitted to hospital where I was told (by GP blood results) I had type 2 diabetes. How could my GP have missed it? Prescribed 1x sukkarto 500 mg per day and literally that was it! I’ve no idea what I’m doing what my bloods are supposed to be or anything! Help!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Lezstock1 and welcome!

Sounds like a difficult time for you. You might find the information in this link a good starting point: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

Have a good read and come back with any questions.

If it’s just the Sukkarto you’re on, then the best strategy will be to reduce your carbohydrate intake to being your blood sugars down. This website will give you some pointers and a lot of information: https://www.dietdoctor.com/

Do you have a blood glucose meter? That’ll be key to understanding the impact that various foods have on your blood sugars.

Do have a good read of the above and around the site and ask as many questions as you like. We’re a friendly bunch!

Reactions: Lezstock1

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, had been feeling really unwell for about 4 weeks, GP did urine and blood tests and rang back to say I’d 2 separate infections, prescribed 2 antibiotics. Felt a little better until completion of antibiotics then took really ill and after being asleep for 36 hours straight admitted to hospital where I was told (by GP blood results) I had type 2 diabetes. How could my GP have missed it? Prescribed 1x sukkarto 500 mg per day and literally that was it! I’ve no idea what I’m doing what my bloods are supposed to be or anything! Help!
Welcome to the forum. First thing to say is, don't panic. Lots of good advice and support on this forum and despite what you'll hear from some parts of the media there is a lot you can quickly do to manage and control Type 2. Best of luck.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you need to wait for the effect of the antibiotics you have had to pass as they can cause BS increase. Get to a stable point and check your BS; get a meter if you haven't got one.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to find out what your blood test for diabetes showed - the actual figures. Your GP may be able to tell you, and he will certainly be able to tell you what your blood results were when taken at the surgery. Try ringing the receptionist at your surgery. Ask for a copy of the blood tests your surgery did, and a copy of any correspondence between the hospital and the surgery. You are entitled to these.

Reactions: Lezstock1

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,
I agree it sounds like a rough time for you.
Read the link posted by @Goonergal as it is a great concise read.

I am sorry that you weren't given more advice by your medical professionals but to be honest many have had similar experiences so I am not surprised- disappointed yes.
The first thing you should do when you feel well enough is to buy a meter. Many doctors do not recommend that you do regular testing but unless you test you have no idea of what your blood sugar levels are like.

@Daibell makes a good point that many of us- myself included find our blood sugar levels go up when we are sick so don't get too disheartened if your levels are high when you first test- stress can also increase your levels.

Feel free to ask questions and read around. While it will feel hard and overwhelming it will get better.

Take care of yourself and welcome.

Lezstock1

You need to find out what your blood test for diabetes showed - the actual figures. Your GP may be able to tell you, and he will certainly be able to tell you what your blood results were when taken at the surgery. Try ringing the receptionist at your surgery. Ask for a copy of the blood tests your surgery did, and a copy of any correspondence between the hospital and the surgery. You are entitled to these.

I know that the Doc at the hospital could see the GP bloods as he had said ‘what did GP say about your diabetes’ I said what diabetes lol Then hospital bloods confirmed it. Was actually a bit raging that the GP had missed it and not contacted me about it 9 April when I got them done!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I know that the Doc at the hospital could see the GP bloods as he had said ‘what did GP say about your diabetes’ I said what diabetes lol Then hospital bloods confirmed it. Was actually a bit raging that the GP had missed it and not contacted me about it 9 April when I got them done!

I am not surprised you were raging, and all the more reason you need copies of these blood test results and the correspondence between hospital and surgery. You need the actual levels of blood sugar so you know exactly where you are starting from. This is important if you are to have control of what you do next, and what your GP/nurse do next as regards advice and medication. You are entitled to have these copies but you do need to ask for them.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Do ask your surgery for access to your online medical records including test results; the surgery must allow this unless there is a very good reason. With this access you can order prescriptions, see test results etc.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Do ask your surgery for access to your online medical records including test results; the surgery must allow this unless there is a very good reason. With this access you can order prescriptions, see test results etc.

Yes, I agree. However, GP surgery on-line results won't necessarily show what the hospital test results were. She needs to ask for them separately.