Confused ☹️

Bobby13

Hi everyone, I had a diabetic test on Tuesday at the pharmacy and they said my finger prick was 6.5 and said as I had a sandwich 2.5hrs prior it was probably due to that however because my dad and Nan are both type 2 I should get a monitor to keep an eye on things before going to the doctor. Today has been my first day testing and I’m so confused, could you please have a look at the below and see if it looks normal or not?
6/5-

6am 6.7 fasting

7am 6.5 fasting

7.10 banana

8.10 6.2

8.30 dull headache

9.10 6.2

10.50 small pear

11.50 4.8

13.00 5.3

14.15 prawn sandwich and crisps

15.30 8.8 bit shaky

16.15 6.8

Thankyou for any advice or suggestions

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Bobby13 and welcome to the forums. Unfortunately we cannot diagnose here, so I can only suggest you ask your Dr for an HbA1c test. This is a test that can tell your average blood sugar levels over the previous 8 - 12 weeks and is used as a diabetes diagnostic tool in the U.K. As there is a family history they should be helpful and agree to test you.

Reactions: Bobby13

Bobby13

Hi @Bobby13 and welcome to the forums. Unfortunately we cannot diagnose here, so I can only suggest you ask your Dr for an HbA1c test. This is a test that can tell your average blood sugar levels over the previous 8 - 12 weeks and is used as a diabetes diagnostic tool in the U.K. As there is a family history they should be helpful and agree to test you.

Thankyou I will be contacting them for a test. I wasn’t really looking for a diagnosis just rather of the levels all seemed “normal”

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou I will be contacting them for a test. I wasn’t really looking for a diagnosis just rather of the levels all seemed “normal”

Given what you’ve eaten, I wouldn’t be terribly concerned by those readings - mine would be in the stratosphere! Best to get it checked if you’re worried though.

This chart and link might be useful to you:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

BE9DEEF6-A6BA-4BDE-AD4E-E45F03148F21.jpeg

Reactions: Rachox

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Those readings don't indicate anything to worry about but see if the GP is prepared to do an HBA1C blood test which is the usual way to diagnose diabetes.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Those levels don't seem bad at all considering the things you ate - none of which will be doing anybody's blood sugars any good, diabetic or not. An HbA1c test will sort it out for you.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with everyone else about the need for a test for your HbA1C. As someone with a family history this test may be worthwhile doing every few years if the results are that you are in the normal range. I was tested regularly as I also have a family history (thanks mum and dad) so it was caught early while I was just in the diabetic range. That probably made it easier for me to get into the normal range by going low carb.