Low fat/low carb

WreckTangle

I have a chronic gastro illness and food with high fat, high carbs and high protein cause a lot of issues for me (I.e bloating, diarrhoea, feeling sick). I am looking to start eating food with low fat, protein and carbs in. I know there is no food with none of these and there always be some type of protein, fat and carbs in food.

just looking for some meal ideas and snacks I could have as I am nearing the point to where I am just not going to eat.
I like all veg, all fruit. I can’t have milk products, I don’t like avocados, leeks, carrots. I can’t have anything with coconut in.
Has anyone got any meal ideas or snack ideas??

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you a type 1 or a type 2 diabetic? Chicken, spinach, cheese. It’s a tricky one as low fat things have more carbs. A lot of type 2’s that are low carbing don’t snack.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a chronic gastro illness and food with high fat, high carbs and high protein cause a lot of issues for me (I.e bloating, diarrhoea, feeling sick). I am looking to start eating food with low fat, protein and carbs in. I know there is no food with none of these and there always be some type of protein, fat and carbs in food.

just looking for some meal ideas and snacks I could have as I am nearing the point to where I am just not going to eat.
I like all veg, all fruit. I can’t have milk products, I don’t like avocados, leeks, carrots. I can’t have anything with coconut in.
what sort of gastro illness do you have? are you on any diabetes medication? what foods can you eat as finding something to help you is difficult unless I have more information. Welcome to the forum.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You say that foods that are high fat, high protein and high carb give you problems, but are you sure? I mean, have you tried eliminating just one category at a time for a week or two and seeing if there is any improvement? It might be just the carbs, for example....

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I know there is no food with none of these and there always be some type of protein, fat and carbs in food.
Are you wanting or needing to lose any weight? Without protein, fats or carbs you would pretty soon be in starvation mode. While this might be OK in the short term if you needed to lose weight, in the long term you might find it difficult.....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @TeddyTottie that experimenting on very simple foods of one main macro (so either protein, or fat, or carbs) may give you the info you need to build a workable personal way of eating.

not sure what your chronic gastro condition is, but have you identified specific trigger foods?

does a small piece of plain lean meat set you off? Or is fatty meat the problem?
Or is it only when meat is eaten with carbs? Or fibre? Or is it the fat and carbs that do it?

My own circumstances will probably make my thinking clearer:
around 3.5 years ago I had a brutal and long lasting bout of gut rot.
It left me with explosive guts if I ate just about anything
However, a series of self-experiments eventually led me to the discovery that fibre (only found in carb foods and plant foods), was simply intolerable to my guts.
So I was left with fibreless carbs or protein, or fat.
Once I had identified the specific trigger, I could eliminate it, and work with what was left.
The carbs were out because they drove my bg up, which meant I’ve just spent 3 years a carnivore.
And just this last 4 months or so, I have discovered my guts have recovered enough to reintroduce a few veg... slowly... in small quantities.

optimist1

I'd also google low FODMAPS diet. In general, it's very good for gut issues. You could alter it to suit lower carb for diabetes.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

As others have said it really depends on what you want from your diet and also what your diagnosis is. If you've been diagnosed can you get help from a dietician to suggest a useful eating pattern? If you haven't then you might be well advised to follow an elimination diet protocol in which you strip back your diet, note symptoms then gradually re introduce potential offenders. If you've already done all of this and think you know what works then ignore that last bit.
If you really do need a low protein and low fat diet with no dairy then the obvious pattern is veganism. This is something that can help type 2 diabetics but I'd normally hesitate to recommend plant based precisely because it is low in protein and fat (the 2 macronutrients that don't raise insulin levels much or at all!) plus does need supplementation. It is high carb and like any eating pattern if you buy junk food high in sugar, other processed carbs and oils, you won't help your diabetes or weight management. Sorry to say that you will have to be cautious about fruit too if you are type 2 given the high sugar content of the more tropical kinds.
The watch out is that plants contain lectins which can trigger gut problems as has been alluded too. Plants have a health halo but not every gut can tolerate them so keep an eye on new foods bearing in mind that new symptoms won't always occur straight after consumption.

Reactions: Brunneria

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Has your GP or Endocrinologist discussed this issue with you? Do you have a diagnosis?

Maybe you might need digestive enzymes such as creon to assist with the digesting of foods.

I know you are looking for answers, but being there isn't much info in your post, I have to ask these questions.

Reactions: Brunneria

WreckTangle

Are you a type 1 or a type 2 diabetic? Chicken, spinach, cheese. It’s a tricky one as low fat things have more carbs. A lot of type 2’s that are low carbing don’t snack.
I have type 1. I'm not trying to lose weight. Just wanting to make my life a little easier.

WreckTangle

what sort of gastro illness do you have? are you on any diabetes medication? what foods can you eat as finding something to help you is difficult unless I have more information. Welcome to the forum.
I have EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency) It's chronic diarrhoea, whenever I eat fatty, protein rich, carby foods.

WreckTangle

You say that foods that are high fat, high protein and high carb give you problems, but are you sure? I mean, have you tried eliminating just one category at a time for a week or two and seeing if there is any improvement? It might be just the carbs, for example....
I am certain its those types of foods. I have EPI, my body cant digest fat, protein or carbs which causes chronic diarrhoea every time I eat these foods.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What does your medical team suggest? All foods are either carbs, fats or proteins.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I have EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency) It's chronic diarrhoea, whenever I eat fatty, protein rich, carby foods.

Are you taking any form of digestive enzymes?
Life will continue to be very difficult without them if you can't make enough to meet daily demands. Life is hard enough as it is. I also take them (Creon) because of EPI
You're in a real tough spot, chronic diarrhea is debilitating.

Reactions: Goonergal

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have two chronic conditions, three if you count diabetes. I have EPI as a result of a distal pancretectomy for which I take Creon with everything I eat. To complicate that I also have Bile Acid Malabsorption which I control with prescription codeine every day. There is one specific medication for this but it is very poorly tolerated. I had symptoms like you describe for years which limited my life incredibly insofar as I could no longer travel long journeys, go on planes, etc. It was so bad it was not unusual for me to abandon a trolley in the supermarket. When I got referred to a brilliant gastroenterologist he was determined to do every test he could think of starting with colonoscopy, endoscopy, scans etc. It was the last test which was conducted in the Dept for Nuclear Medicine which threw up the dx of Bile Acid Malabsorption. I am not sure with a less interested Gastro I would have got there. I do have to watch my fat intake, didnt eat cheese for years. I just wonder if you could get a referral to a gastro and ask for this test. It was a life changer for me.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No wish to derail the thread but just for clarification I am labelled T2 because thats what my GP put on my files. I did see an Endo at my own request who said I would not be T3 until my A1c reached 48 which he warned me would eventually happen and I would need some insulin. He was basically saying with consistent A1cs in the 30s I wasnt diabetic. I have maintained 4 years by eating sub 30g carbs per day. I have been having raised levels lately and his prediction is always on my mind.