Virtual DAFNE Course

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I was first invited to a one week intensive DAFNE course 2 years ago, but at last minute wasn't able to attend having broken my shoulder. All courses were cancelled in 2020, and for 2021 my CCG has substituted virtual programs using Microsoft Teams.

Not expecting anything earth shattering from this - cynically attending so to tick the box re possible pump eligibility. But it is always nice to interact with other Type 1s, plus I am super lazy re calculating ratios and properly counting carbs, so a few weeks of discipline might be good for me.

But not off to a good start - the DAFNE course pack was to be delivered via the Sprint courier service last Thursday - still nothing. Sprint is not a cheap service - more waste of NHS funding through poor contract?

I'll update as I go on...:)

Reactions: StewM

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on the virtual DAFNE pilot last year and I actually think the scheduling works better than normal DAFNE as spreading things out gives you more to discuss with the Educator and the group. Based on things you've said in the Forums I doubt there's going to be anything earth-shattering for you, but getting to just have a regular chat with other Diabetics is pretty helpful in of itself.

Yeah, don't know why they did that. We just collected ours from the local DAFNE centre, after having our pre-course HBA1Cs done.

Reactions: oldgreymare

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn’t mind doing the fabled DAFNE course. Are there specific requirements for getting on it or is it recommended for all T1’s?

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn’t mind doing the fabled DAFNE course. Are there specific requirements for getting on it or is it recommended for all T1’s?
There's a waiting list and there are various factors that can lead to pushing you up or down the waiting list (which I believe vary region to region). In my region, it was just a matter of telling my Consultant I wanted to attend one and waiting.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I was on the virtual DAFNE pilot last year and I actually think the scheduling works better than normal DAFNE as spreading things out gives you more to discuss with the Educator and the group. Based on things you've said in the Forums I doubt there's going to be anything earth-shattering for you, but getting to just have a regular chat with other Diabetics is pretty helpful in of itself.

Yeah, don't know why they did that. We just collected ours from the local DAFNE centre, after having our pre-course HBA1Cs done.
Yes, it is always nice to meet other T1s. Personally I prefer 1 week intensive courses to once a week drawn out ones, but let's see how I get on. I've had a recent HbAC1, so suspect I won't be asked for one specifically for this course, but sans the course pack turning up, who knows...

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been waiting about 5 years to get onto the Dafne course. I did a carb counting course years ago called something else. Didn't find it much help to be honest. I was recently invited to do the virtual Dafne course but unable to accept the dates. I will look out for the next virtual Dafne course available to me.

Reactions: sleepster

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it is always nice to meet other T1s. Personally I prefer 1 week intensive courses to once a week drawn out ones, but let's see how I get on. I've had a recent HbAC1, so suspect I won't be asked for one specifically for this course, but sans the course pack turning up, who knows...

I was lucky because I had one Feb last year, just before we went into lockdown. I was rather dubious at first but it was actually VERY good. It was spread over 4 weeks (one attendance per week) and that turned out well because it gave the presenters the chance to say 'try this, try that' to the participants and then we all got the updates from each other the following week. They covered loads of things and a Consultant came in to answer any questions. They bought all the latest CGMs/pumps/libre in so we could all have a look, and they also spoke personally to us to ask whether we felt we would get a benefit from those items depending on criteria, etc, that's how I got my libre, which they handed to me ON the course and then popped it onto prescription for me. I can't imagine an online one will be quite as good as the best bit for me was the chance to chat with the other type 1s. x

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
If it's virtual, can't they just create an online version?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I was first invited to a one week intensive DAFNE course 2 years ago, but at last minute wasn't able to attend having broken my shoulder. All courses were cancelled in 2020, and for 2021 my CCG has substituted virtual programs using Microsoft Teams.

Not expecting anything earth shattering from this - cynically attending so to tick the box re possible pump eligibility. But it is always nice to interact with other Type 1s, plus I am super lazy re calculating ratios and properly counting carbs, so a few weeks of discipline might be good for me.

But not off to a good start - the DAFNE course pack was to be delivered via the Sprint courier service last Thursday - still nothing. Sprint is not a cheap service - more waste of NHS funding through poor contract?

I'll update as I go on...:)
I'm a huge fan of DAFNE. I thought I had a lot of knowledge going into the course, but there were loads of things I didn't know. Even the GP who had type 1 for 30 years and managed type 2 diabetics at his surgery, learned a lot. This is not the same experience for everyone. It makes me wonder if the course varies with its delivery group.

Last edited:

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been waiting about 5 years to get onto the Dafne course.
I've been wanting to do it for a few years, I'm on the waiting list now but can't do the online one as I'm a pump user and it's a different course :(

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
If it's virtual, can't they just create an online version?
I had the pre-course meeting with my DAFNE Educator this morning. She mentioned that setting up a virtual/online version has been in DAFNE planning for some time - apparently brought forward about a year due to COVID. What was interesting to hear is that DAFNE (BTW it is a charity, not strictly part of the NHS directly) is partnering with the Open University to develop and deliver the virtual program.

Also surprising that DAFNE participants to date since initial launch are only around 52,000. Not sure what percentage of UK T1's this is, but lower than I was expecting. Perhaps others can comment re their experience with other carb counting courses such as Bertie online?

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the pre-course meeting with my DAFNE Educator this morning. She mentioned that setting up a virtual/online version has been in DAFNE planning for some time - apparently brought forward about a year due to COVID. What was interesting to hear is that DAFNE (BTW it is a charity, not strictly part of the NHS directly) is partnering with the Open University to develop and deliver the virtual program.

Also surprising that DAFNE participants to date since initial launch are only around 52,000. Not sure what percentage of UK T1's this is, but lower than I was expecting. Perhaps others can comment re their experience with other carb counting courses such as Bertie online?
Yeah, that’s a lot of interesting politics involved in why DAFNE do and don’t do some things that I never would’ve guessed was involved.

One thing that might skew the numbers slightly is the priority that’s given to gestational-Diabetics (which is quite understandable).

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yeah, that’s a lot of interesting politics involved in why DAFNE do and don’t do some things that I never would’ve guessed was involved.

One thing that might skew the numbers slightly is the priority that’s given to gestational-Diabetics (which is quite understandable).
Interesting, I didn't know that gestational diabetes qualifies for DAFNE?

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting, I didn't know that gestational diabetes qualifies for DAFNE?
Whilst I was on the waiting list, I was specifically told that Gestational Diabetics would push me down the Waiting List (I wasn’t given much explanation as to why beyond that).

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting fact I learned when I did my course 4 years ago. (Which I loved) It originated in Germany. If you have diabetes there you have to go on the course, and all employees automatically give the week off on full pay. It is expected that it will benefit that employer in the long run.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
That’ve very interesting @becca59. I know it’s taken ages for T1s to have some leeway at work (DDA and Equality Act), but to hear that employers know they’ll benefit too is both cheering and depressing. Depressing because we hear of so many people here who find their work places don’t really take account of T1.
I went on a Dafne course in 2012 after badgering a Consultant to be put forward for one for quite a few years. He only agreed when a once in a lifetime pen disaster and the resulting high blood sugars coincided with the annual appointment. He thought that as I’d had T1 for decades I’d know it all already.
I didn’t know it all and I learned a lot. It fundamentally changed the way I managed my own T1. It was a foundation I could build on using the insights people share on this site. I was lucky, I suppose, that it was led by a very very good person.
And yes, it was great, really great, being in the company of a roomful of T1s.
I wish Dafne were available for all T1s without long waiting times. Somewhere over the rainbow . . .

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting fact I learned when I did my course 4 years ago. (Which I loved) It originated in Germany. If you have diabetes there you have to go on the course, and all employees automatically give the week off on full pay. It is expected that it will benefit that employer in the long run.
Yeah, there's interesting information about German DAFNE out there, including the studies they conducted to inform the course if you're so inclined to look.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Fairygodmother we seem to have been lucky in Leeds regards DAFNE. I was only 2 1/2years into diagnosis when I attended. The knowledge I gained was invaluable. Though with the advent of Libre I wouldn’t follow all they say now. It is such a window into what is really happening.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are going to be social as well as learn something then the prior advice applies. I still see my Dafne friends 14 years on!
If you're going just for the carb counting or to get a tick in the box for pump eligibility then BERTIE is online too:
https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/
(Bournemouth University)