Blood glucose spikes

Christina55

In the last 7 months I've been diagnosed with pre diabetes. My fasting reading by a blood test at the doctors showed 43 so its just one above the normal reading. I am very tiny anyway as I weighed 53 kilos but I stopped the little carbs and sugar I was consuming, added 9,000 steps to my daily walk and hence lost 6 kilos. And now I weigh 47. I don't feel fitter and I don't look as good I think. Much to my disappointment 7 months after the diagnosis, it's the same result! I asked my doctor if my autoimmune Neutropenia might now be attacking the pancreatic cells, as currently my immune kills my white blood cells, but he wasn't sure. I am on HRT so I don't know if that is also causing a problem. I don't know what else to do. I'd be grateful for any suggestions

Christina55

I'm only just pre diabetic. I had a small chicken massala and korma curry, no rice but instead some lentils with broad beans, runner beans and some tiny broccoli florets. Plus one samosa. My blood sugar spiked at 2.50 hours at 9.8! At 3 hours went down to 8.7. Had I not re-tested after 2 hours when it was 6.8 id think I was ok. So its a slow release carb meal is it? And should I be testing every 2 or 3 hours to be safe?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'd be potentially concerned by that weight loss, though I suppose it depends on your height as to whether you are now underweight as regards bmi. I would ask your doctor to do a cpeptide and GAD tests to rule out slow onset autoimmune T1, as he has probably ruled this out because of your age. Unfortunately people over the age of 30 can and do get LADA (slow onset T1) but a lot of doctors assume T1 only happens to young people and don't do the tests. And I don't know whether your GP will be willing to do those tests when you are only just prediabetic.

A quick google suggests that HRT doesn't affect T2, though I am not a doctor so can't and shouldn't say that with any confidence.

Have you considered buying a blood testing meter so that you can tell what your blood sugars are actually doing before and after meals. A lot of funky blood conditions can distort the result of an hba1c test (that 43 you've been getting) and measuring your blood sugar would tell you whether your readings are actually high.

Good luck, and welcome to the forums.

Reactions: Christina55

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the last 7 months I've been diagnosed with pre diabetes. My fasting reading by a blood test at the doctors showed 43 so its just one above the normal reading. I am very tiny anyway as I weighed 53 kilos but I stopped the little carbs and sugar I was consuming, added 9,000 steps to my daily walk and hence lost 6 kilos. And now I weigh 47. I don't feel fitter and I don't look as good I think. Much to my disappointment 7 months after the diagnosis, it's the same result! I asked my doctor if my autoimmune Neutropenia might now be attacking the pancreatic cells, as currently my immune kills my white blood cells, but he wasn't sure. I am on HRT so I don't know if that is also causing a problem. I don't know what else to do. I'd be grateful for any suggestions
Hello, and welcome, @Christina55 .

So, you have been diagnosed prediabetic with HbA1c of 43, tried to do something about it by stopping carbs in your diet, but have not made any difference to that. Did you replace the carbs with some extra fat, or protein? That would be important to prevent muscle loss Are you on any medication for your neutropenia or anything else?

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Have you considered buying a blood testing meter so that you can tell what your blood sugars are actually doing before and after meals.

OK, just seen your other thread @Christina55 , and see you're already doing blood tests.

Reactions: Christina55

Christina55

I'd be potentially concerned by that weight loss, though I suppose it depends on your height as to whether you are now underweight as regards bmi. I would ask your doctor to do a cpeptide and GAD tests to rule out slow onset autoimmune T1, as he has probably ruled this out because of your age. Unfortunately people over the age of 30 can and do get LADA (slow onset T1) but a lot of doctors assume T1 only happens to young people and don't do the tests. And I don't know whether your GP will be willing to do those tests when you are only just prediabetic.

A quick google suggests that HRT doesn't affect T2, though I am not a doctor so can't and shouldn't say that with any confidence.

Have you considered buying a blood testing meter so that you can tell what your blood sugars are actually doing before and after meals. A lot of funky blood conditions can distort the result of an hba1c test (that 43 you've been getting) and measuring your blood sugar would tell you whether your readings are actually high.

Good luck, and welcome to the forums.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my questio. I will ask my doctor to do those tests in fact I will insist. The 43 mmol reading I mentioned was done via a fasting blood test at the doctors. Normal range is below 42. I do have a glucometer so I test before and after meals. I am 47 kilos and 5ft & one and a half inches.

optimist1

See what the doctor says, I wouldn't expect diabetic weight loss with "43 mmol ..My blood sugar spiked at 2.50 hours at 9.8! At 3 hours went down to 8.7. Had I not re-tested after 2 hours when it was 6.8" given this isn't a typical meal for you.
If you are eating enough total calories and I would check with a food counter app. I would take the results with you and ask the doctor to run tests to see what else it could be?

Last edited: