Does Freestyle Libre 2 store readings it takes?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This may be a dumb question. I've started my Libre 2 today with LibreApplink and LibreView using my Android phone. Every time I scan I get a current reading and can see all MY last scans. I assumed it would store data at intervals in between my scans and upload all at my next scan. How do I know what is happening during the night if I only scan once during 8 hours. Others have implied they can see night-time activity but how can that be if my Sensor is only storing and sending data relevant to the time I scan and nothing in between?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It should be storing all the data. I use the reader and it shows a graph for the whole day.

sgm14

The libre is supposed to be able to store 8 hours. I have been using it for about 18 months and the longest time between scans at night has been almost 7.5 hours and I don't have any gaps (except for sensor changes).

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
This may be a dumb question. I've started my Libre 2 today with LibreApplink and LibreView using my Android phone. Every time I scan I get a current reading and can see all MY last scans. I assumed it would store data at intervals in between my scans and upload all at my next scan. How do I know what is happening during the night if I only scan once during 8 hours. Others have implied they can see night-time activity but how can that be if my Sensor is only storing and sending data relevant to the time I scan and nothing in between?

It will show you a graph but not individual readings.. the only readings you will see in the log are the scans but you see the wavy line to show you what has happened for the last 8 hours

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The sensor has enough memory to store 8 hours of data and when you scan the sensor it downloads these last 8 hours to your phone or reader. It does not just download the data at the time of the scan.
If you are using the phone app, this data should be automatically uploaded from your phone to the cloud so that when you logon to LibreView, you can see all historical data.
It you are using the reader, I believe you have to connect it to your computer to upload data from the reader to the cloud to make it available to LibreView.
Some diabetes teams/DSNs will review Libre data in LibreView.

if you want to see data between scan (the last 8 hours) on your LibreLink app, you just change the view and should be able to see the last 24 hours.
If you want to see data from more than 24 hours ago, you need to log on to LibreView.

The Freestyle Libre website contains some useful videos which explains all of this.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It will show you a graph but not individual readings.. the only readings you will see in the log are the scans but you see the wavy line to show you what has happened for the last 8 hours
Thanks I now understand it. The various Libre documents and web pages don't make it clear that the 'wavy line' results from actual data the monitor provides and is not an interpolation of your own scan points. Is it just me or is the LibreView web page as bad as it appears to be. I'm amazed that you can't adjust time scales below 1 week on all reports. Overall the Libre 2 system is an amazing piece of engineering but the web software is tacky.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The sensor has enough memory to store 8 hours of data and when you scan the sensor it downloads these last 8 hours to your phone or reader. It does not just download the data at the time of the scan.
If you are using the phone app, this data should be automatically uploaded from your phone to the cloud so that when you logon to LibreView, you can see all historical data.
It you are using the reader, I believe you have to connect it to your computer to upload data from the reader to the cloud to make it available to LibreView.
Some diabetes teams/DSNs will review Libre data in LibreView.

if you want to see data between scan (the last 8 hours) on your LibreLink app, you just change the view and should be able to see the last 24 hours.
If you want to see data from more than 24 hours ago, you need to log on to LibreView.

The Freestyle Libre website contains some useful videos which explains all of this.
Thanks for the information - it's becoming clearer!

Reactions: In Response

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
ALL the readings are transmitted to Libreview server. If you download your data you will see every 15 minute reading. Interesting for a few minutes, but a level of accuracy not really required normally as you can see the last 90 days graphs from which you can see roughly what your levels were.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
ALL the readings are transmitted to Libreview server. If you download your data you will see every 15 minute reading. Interesting for a few minutes, but a level of accuracy not really required normally as you can see the last 90 days graphs from which you can see roughly what your levels were.
Many thanks for that. I've not seen that mentioned anywhere in the Freestyle documents. I agree it's more information than you need but does prove that the sensor is providing a fine level of detail.