Metformin - Type 2 Insulin dependant

Suzanne1955

After being diagnosed with the above 9 weeks ago, I have been taking slow release Metformin for 8 weeks (1000mg in the morning and 1000mg in the evening) after meals and I still have side effects including stomach pain, bad stomach and bloating, etc all day!! My blood sugar levels have now reduced from 33!! To between 6.2 am and 8.3 pm. I also have to inject 11 of insulin. I am tempted to reduce the Metformin- what do you think? I have a blood test in 4 weeks to establish levels, when I’m hoping to come off of Metformin! It’s making my life a misery ......

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You have my deepest sympathy - I reacted to normal Metformin, just one tablet a day - I was absolutely wretched.
Maybe contact your GP with your results and request that you stop the tablets - I have come across type twos who have been able to stop all medication after getting to grips with their diet and restoring normality.
I don't need medication - but I suspect I never did, it was just that is how we are treated at my GP practice.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have problems with standard Metformin you should insist on the Slow Release SR version. As metformin never has that much effect you may be able to stop it. Do you have excess weight? If so then make sure you are keeping the carbs down in your diet. If you are slim do ask for the two tests for T1/LADA.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have problems with standard Metformin you should insist on the Slow Release SR version. As metformin never has that much effect you may be able to stop it. Do you have excess weight? If so then make sure you are keeping the carbs down in your diet. If you are slim do ask for the two tests for T1/LADA.
I do think it can be a little over praised by doctors and imply it solves more than it does but even small impacts can be important. But My own experience is that there can be alternative options. I also do think the level of impact isn’t worth the way it can impact daily life, for those who have the worst impact

Metformin can work well for many people, for those who have trouble with the normal release, slow release as you say can work better. I was in that camp and I was on it for over a decade with no issues, even at max dosage.

But for some people they cannot easily tolerate and in those instances I definitely think you shouldn’t put up with it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Suzanne is already on the slow release version.

@Suzanne1955
Your blood glucose numbers have massively improved. That is a great difference. Well done!
Have you made any dietary changes too?
Insulin has far greater impact than Metformin on blood glucose, so if you explain the problem, your doc can take you off it and if necessary prescribe something different.

please let your doc know how unbearable the situation currently is.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I think if it is making your life a misery, then by default I wouldn’t take it, that’s not advice, just how I feel.

have you tried varying times etc? Taking before food, with food, after food or no where close to food? I take my evening met at bedtime,as much as 5 hours after food, the morning met can upset me, I know this because I am much worse at remembering morning meds and can definitely tell the difference if I take it or not.

maybe you could reduce morning dose and increase evening or visa versa, just play around with them to see what happens?

I’m not a medical person, I have no knowledge apart from my own personal experience and should be taken with a pinch of salt.