How long you been waiting on a check up

mcginn1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How long have you been waiting on a check up from the clinic?
I'm in N.Ireland and haven't been seen in over 2 years called the booking line and was told it would be months before I would get a appointment.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No problem at all I got an annual check just before first lockdown, Hba1c at six months and had a physical foot check followed by telephone discussion at just past twelve months.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How long have you been waiting on a check up from the clinic?
I'm in N.Ireland and haven't been seen in over 2 years called the booking line and was told it would be months before I would get a appointment.
Feel bad for saying this, so apologies but I haven't had to wait at all, had about 3 blood tests, annual review, retinopathy screening and a few telephone appointments and a couple of face to face.

this postcode lottery is a real disgrace

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a clinic appointment last February and had bloods and retinal screening done then as well, I've had a few phone calls since then. I had a letter asking me to make a retinal screening appointment but I haven't done that yet and have declined a blood test appointment :nailbiting: I have clinic appointments for August and next February and they're both in-person for bloods and other checks and then a phone call the following week.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I only got my bloods done as I demanded it (as it had been 18 months from when the previous ones had been done)

I got retinopathy appointment done (they cancelled it twice then it was re-arranged and eventually done eight months late

I was actually at a private podiatrist today (cost me £25) as it is now over 2 years from my last foot check and I have what the podiatrist thinks is just a ganglion/corn or verruca on the ball of my foot (that was the reason I made the appointment) so I think I will just keep going to her now as she polished up my feet and cut my toenails nicely which can sometimes be a problem as I sometimes have an ingrown toenail and it was no problem for her to cut today

So ... yes ... postcode lottery ... I don't know what they are actually doing at my GP's surgery these days ... not a lot I think ...

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before covid an annual checkup hba1c retinal eye screening. Since covid 2 phone appointments and my annual hba1c and retinal eye screening.

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only got my bloods done as I demanded it (as it had been 18 months from when the previous ones had been done)

I got retinopathy appointment done (they cancelled it twice then it was re-arranged and eventually done eight months late

I was actually at a private podiatrist today (cost me £25) as it is now over 2 years from my last foot check and I have what the podiatrist thinks is just a ganglion/corn or verruca on the ball of my foot (that was the reason I made the appointment) so I think I will just keep going to her now as she polished up my feet and cut my toenails nicely which can sometimes be a problem as I sometimes have an ingrown toenail and it was no problem for her to cut today

So ... yes ... postcode lottery ... I don't know what they are actually doing at my GP's surgery these days ... not a lot I think ...

I had to keep pestering for a face to face gp appointment. Consultantion lasted 1 hour! Had 2 doctors looking at me some of that time. Guessing they have plenty of time. Prob sat at home doing telephone appointments half their time.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Keep trying. I was refused by receptionist several times when calling in the morning. Then one day I called much later in the afternoon, got a different receptionist who booked me in straightaway.
Don't be afraid to keep asking