Type 1 Hypothyroidism and diabetes

Heathy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been diabetic for 45 years and I think I may have hypothyroid my tsh levels 5.3 but I keep having hypos are the two correlated?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been diabetic for 45 years and I think I may have hypothyroid my tsh levels 5.3 but I keep having hypos are the two correlated?
Hi. The only thing I an aware of is that both type 1 diabetes and Hashimoto s are autoimmune conditions.
I think you need to get a full thyroid panel to understand if this is the case for you.
Anecdotally I know quite a few diabetics who either have low thyroid levels or coeliac disease.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type two, and my thyroid failed some time ago.
When diagnosed my TSH was four thousand times higher than the top of normal.
I had been complaining of the symptoms for years, but the tests did not show any problem, just lowish levels, so the GPs would not order any more tests, then a new one arrived at the practice and saw me when I took one of the children to the surgery, ordered tests and I started Thyroxine the next week.
Thyroid hormones regular a lot of things around the body - and they fluctuate for a long time before eventual failure, I discovered, so it would be possible for the changes to be ongoing and long term for all sorts of things.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I've also have T1 for over 40 years and just got diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in November, didn't cause me any extra hypos though, sent my pulse rate even higher than it already was though (high pulse rate is one of the known effects)

Edit: oops, I misread it as hyperthyroidism, just ignore me :)

Last edited:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Heathy - Do you have symptoms of hypothyroidism?

There has been very mixed comment on on hypothyroidism and impacts on blood sugar, suggesting it both raises and lowers it, depending on which papers you read, so all terribly helpful. That said, bearing in mind our thyroid is a cornerstone of our metabolic health it isn't inconceivable your findings are correct - for you.

The reason I ask if you have symptoms of hypothyroidism is the level of TSH at which any action is likely to be taken.

As @NicoleC1971 has suggested, our TSH is the the primary diagnostic tool for thyroid function, but thereafter it's a bit feeble in terms of understanding the nature of the thyroid disease and how best to approach any proposed treatment. Realistically, you should be having a full thyroid panel, including all antibodies, plus some Endos like to check for Ceoliac antibodies at the same time.

tillie08

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi There, i have hyperthyroid and ceoliac disease and alsoT1 diabetic. I have had this now for 17 years and it is hard especially when you are not feeling well trying to put my finger on what it could be as all these diseases are pretty much the same and all to do with hormones so you get similar symptoms...obviously not coeliac as that is food related but if not managed this can cause achy bones, hot sweats, loss of weight. My thyroid does the same when my levels are not balanced i can get achy bones, hot sweats, and then diabetes can go either way...and then not to mention the menapause...then it all goes to pot!!