dont believe everything you read!

norried

just back from my diabetic review, really ****** off angry etc

as of November diabetics who are on insulin treatment will not loose their psv hgv entitlement on their driving license.

NOT SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you are moved onto insulin you have your license suspended for 3 (non hypo) months. your diabetic consultant would have to letter dvla your details.

for me this would be a complete disaster, i am a self employed bus driver (no license = no work= no pay).

for those of you who have the luxury of employment would your boss let you have 3 months off to allow your blood levels to be proved

NO PROBABLY NOT!!!

to make things more interesting if in the course of your diabetic life you have a hypo that results in 3rd party intervention( nurse, ambulance, etc) you will loose your driving license(completely) for 12 (twelve) whole months.

these are the facts as per my diabetic consultant who has spent 3 hours phoning dvla to get an answer today.

does anyone out there have any information to the contrary as i could really do with some cheering up right now.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, wish I could give you something to cheer you up but the DVLA website is quite clear about this. http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/medical/Grou ... sulin.aspx
I can understand how devastating this is for you.. though it allows some people to regain their licence', previously there was absolutely no possibility of that.
I do understand the DVLA position, someone driving a bus has a responsility for the safety of many people. They have to make certain that the driver both understands about insulin use and is able to avoid serious hypos.

norried

so whats to stop me from starting with a very low dose of insulin and working up. hypos can surely be avoided that way.

me ive told them no way! im going to low carb and increase my execise. im not quite on the full dose of metformin so im upping that as well.

if what the doc is saying im going to have to do i stand to loose my only my livelyhood but £15000 me and my father have invested into a new venture.

sorry i cant see any light at the end of a tunnel at mo.

Grazer

You say you'll up the metformin- surely that's not the only drug you're on? There are loads of drugs you can take before you go on to insulin apart from metformin! Normally at least 2 or more levels of other drugs are used to control sugar levels before insulin. What do you take?

Grazer

Just seen your profile and see you are on other meds. Sorry. Could ask doc nonetheless if other meds could be adjusted first, and try low carbs as you say. Good luck!

norried

metformin mr 1000mg/day
dimicron 120mg/day
victoza 1.2ml/day
all taken in morning

plan

lo carb 50-100 g taken only in the morning (majority anyway)
victoza 1.8/day (until bs lowering then drop back to 1.2)
metformin 2000 mg (1 morning 1 evening)

try for a week mixed with light exercise (92kg not bad for a male of 5ft 7)

any other suggestions more than welcome

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think Diamicron is the USA version of Gliclazide? If so and dosage levels are the same it could be increased to 360 mg which is what I'm on. Not sure how this would work with Victoza so I leave that to the experts. I have found Sitagliptin has more effect on my BS than Gliclazide but again not sure how this would relate to Victoza