Do all roads lead to diabetes for me?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was the dextrose that I didn’t like. If it wasn’t in it I wouldn’t have minded. I don’t understand how to low carb you are right. That’s why I’m scared to eat much.
See this link here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

read it, and then start asking questions about how to low carb safely and appropriately, and how to work with food.

It is important that you get help for your eating issues, professional help. The prospect of, at some vague time in the future possibly developing diabetes is not an issue right now. Malnourishment is your priority and causing immediate harm. .

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I joined this reversing type 2 diabetes Facebook group (it’s American) and they say to stay under 30g of net carbs a day and I think they count protein and fat maybe even fibre in that. Loads of people have been able to come off their medication and get their numbers down. Like eggs contain some carbs when I google as which bacon although a small amount.
That makes no sense at all. It's like saying I spend less that $100 per day, and that's including apples and love. There are three main macronutrients... carbs, fat, and protein. Each is it's own thing. There are types of these things. Like fibre is a type of carbs that some people dont count (hence "net carb"), but fat and protein are never counted as carbs, because./..well... they aint.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
See this link here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

read it, and then start asking questions about how to low carb safely and appropriately, and how to work with food.

It is important that you get help for your eating issues, professional help. The prospect of, at some vague time in the future possibly developing diabetes is not an issue right now. Malnourishment is your priority and causing immediate harm. .
Thank you I’ve read that and cut out all starchy carbs, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, biscuits, chocolate the obvious things.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you I’ve read that and cut out all starchy carbs, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, biscuits, chocolate the obvious things.
It doesnt say that. It talks about low carb being 130g of carbs or less. It talks about managing carbs, reducing carbs. It doesnt tell anyone to cut out all carbs.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
It doesnt say that. It talks about low carb being 130g of carbs or less. It talks about managing carbs. It doesn tell anyone to cut out all carbs.
I think I really need to be under 30g carbs a day to get my fasting numbers down and keep my HBA1c in check. Private endro said not to eat rice, pasta, potatoes, bread. Which I understand.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I really need to be under 30g carbs a day to get my fasting numbers down and keep my HBA1c in check. Private endro said not to eat rice, pasta, potatoes, bread. Which I understand.
Has private endo seen your Hba1c? has he told you you are diabetic or pre-diabetic? does he know how little you are eating? Did he actually say to not eat rice, potatoes bread etc at all? Does he know your BMI?

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why? What evidence do you have that you need to go that low?

There’s still plenty of healthy carbs outside these 4 heavy hitters. Avoiding these is not the same as eating less than 5g carbs a day as you are.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He also said it was stress and ptsd that caused the fasting numbers not food.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I hope you haven't joined some site in the US that will pretend to give you professional advice. There are a lot of charlatans out there.
From the information you have supplied you do not have Type 2 diabetes and should not be limiting your food intake. I am very surprised that any private endocrinologist would suggest that you give up eating all complex carbohydrates particularly given your HbA1c reading and the fact that you are losing weight fast.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Has private endo seen your Hba1c? has he told you you are diabetic or pre-diabetic? does he know how little you are eating? Did he actually say to not eat rice, potatoes bread etc at all? Does he know your BMI?

Yes I told him all the info, BMI, diet. HBA1c.symptoms. And he did say to be eating more low carb, no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, sugar, as my hubby asked him could I. He said he’d refer me to a low carb health coach. Said he didn’t think I have diabetes but he’d need to investigate further with tests.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Why? What evidence do you have that you need to go that low?

There’s still plenty of healthy carbs outside these 4 heavy hitters. Avoiding these is not the same as eating less than 5g carbs a day as you are.

it seems to be the only way to get my fasting numbers down. I’m sure I have more than 5g carbs a day though. That’s why I was asking for help to work out what’s safe until I speak with this health coach.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I told him all the info, BMI, diet. HBA1c.symptoms. And he did say to be eating more low carb, no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, sugar, as my hubby asked him could I. He said he’d refer me to a low carb health coach. Said he didn’t think I have diabetes but he’d need to investigate further with tests.
I would get a second opinion. No reputable UK endo, particularly as senior as the one you linked to (whose name the mods subsequently removed) would be taking this stance without test results, further discussion, or make such dietary advice. Particular with your BMI so low, and a normal HbA1c. As well as your history of anorexia and the fact that you have a CPN.

When we used private consultants for our son they were very thorough, took lots of tests, saw us several times , took into account his full medical history and related conditions.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

You're not diabetic ... so what's the issue?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rach I feel for you. You sound very vunerable after a very difficult pregnancy which must have scared you. Your fixation with reducing your BG might be manifesting as postnatal depression. You should have a health visitor assigned to you and your baby. I don’t know if they are able to see you face to face atm, they should be checking that your baby is doing well. I felt great anxiety after my most difficult pregnancy with hyperemis gravidarum it was when I had a frank chat with my health visitor coming to check the baby that I unlocked help. The fact is it can be overwhelming caring for a young baby and putting food on the table, the amount of laundry with a baby, you don’t always know how you are yourself. Could you make contact with either your GP or your health visitor today and tell them your worries and ask for help. Please be kind to yourself and look after yourself for your husband and baby. You need to eat properly and not be losing weight, you wouldnt accept that for your baby and your baby relies on a healthy mummy. Hugs.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it seems to be the only way to get my fasting numbers down. I’m sure I have more than 5g carbs a day though. That’s why I was asking for help to work out what’s safe until I speak with this health coach.
Is your community psychiatric nurse getting you help ?

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
You're not diabetic ... so what's the issue?
Because I have insulin resistance and he doesn’t know that for sure. Eating those things would put my numbers up and increase risk of diabetes.

Rach I feel for you. You sound very vunerable after a very difficult pregnancy which must have scared you. Your fixation with reducing your BG might be manifesting as postnatal depression. You should have a health visitor assigned to you and your baby. I don’t know if they are able to see you face to face atm, they should be checking that your baby is doing well. I felt great anxiety after my most difficult pregnancy with hyperemis gravidarum it was when I had a frank chat with my health visitor coming to check the baby that I unlocked help. The fact is it can be overwhelming caring for a young baby and putting food on the table, the amount of laundry with a baby, you don’t always know how you are yourself. Could you make contact with either your GP or your health visitor today and tell them your worries and ask for help. Please be kind to yourself and look after yourself for your husband and baby. You need to eat properly and not be losing weight, you wouldnt accept that for your baby and your baby relies on a healthy mummy. Hugs.
I am so sorry for your loss. Must have been awful. My health visitor was checking on Holly last week and knows situation with my health. She’s a lovely lady and my baby is doing well thankfully. NHS just says to eat a healthy balanced diet which got me in this mess in the first place that’s awful advice for someone with insulin resistance. That’s why I contacted private endro as he’s big into low carb.

I’m sorry for bothering you guys I just thought I could get some help food wise as I’m struggling to know what to eat.

Is your community psychiatric nurse getting you help ?
there were referring me to CBT but decided it won’t work as they’d tell me to eat cake and I wouldn’t. It would be more harmful than helpful. Keep throwing drugs at me.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because I have insulin resistance and he doesn’t know that for sure. Eating those things would put my numbers up and increase risk of diabetes.

I am so sorry for your loss. Must have been awful. My health visitor was checking on Holly last week and knows situation with my health. She’s a lovely lady and my baby is doing well thankfully. NHS just says to eat a healthy balanced diet which got me in this mess in the first place that’s awful advice for someone with insulin resistance. That’s why I contacted private endro as he’s big into low carb.

I’m sorry for bothering you guys I just thought I could get some help food wise as I’m struggling to know what to eat.

there were referring me to CBT but decided it won’t work as they’d tell me to eat cake and I wouldn’t. It would be more harmful than helpful. Keep throwing drugs at me.
You are not bothering anybody the forum exists to support and answer things you dont understand. You can eat a lot of stuff and still be low carb. Testing is the key. Keep a food diary of meals and by testing when starting and again two hours after you will soon see if the meal is good or needs tweaking. Then it can go in your library of meals. Because your BG levels are non diabetic you will be surprised what you can have. You can low carb safely without losing too much weight, its just a matter of working on it and figuring it out. I think its the fear thats going against you. I wish you all the very best, keep going and get yourself back to a healthy weight. Try not to worry about it.

Reactions: Rach612

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another source of accurate low carb info is dietdoctor.com. No need to subscribe. Loads on there for free. Low carb does not mean low protein or low fat.

No one here is saying follow eatwell/nhs/balanced advice. We are simply telling you that you appear to be obsessing when your levels don’t warrant it. The tiny amounts of carbs, and particularly the other macros alongside this, you list as your intake is overreaction and likely harmful in your personal situation.

You may or may not be insulin resistant. The only indication is some higher fasting levels which have other likely explanations. You are not diabetic with an hb1ac of 30.

CBT will not tell you to eat cake. It may or may not be helpful to you in other ways but you are making assumptions highly unlikely to be true, possibly to avoid facing the real issues you have. The same way you are dismissing or ignoring what we are all saying

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From my own experience of CBT it was more about exploring my own beliefs and thought patterns and challenging myself. I don't see why they would force you to eat cake. You and your doctor's I hope can find a path through this but the levels and issues you quote aren't flagging up alarm bells for diabetes, getting expert advice is good though as we are not going to diagnose.

Being able to take care of yourself and eating healthier is a worthwhile goal but there is a risk when taking in the wrong direction. The human body needs nourishment especially as a new mother and that's what the posters are highlighting, that we are concerned

Reactions: Rach612