What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.2 this morning. Happy with that, whether it’s due to the freezing dip in the sea yesterday or the bucket of wine I had afterwards.
@Ryhia that sounds like a very special day and well worth a 6.
@ziggy_w it’s interesting that your BG reacts to any change in routine like that, I hope things soon settle when you are exercising regularly again.
The wine sounds much better lol

Reactions: Pipp and DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
FBS 4.6 on Dexcom and 3.8 on Tee2+ pleased with that especially as I ate a pack of co-ops crispy bacon for dinner coming back from a family event at 7.40pm. Normally I don’t eat past 6.
Rachel, as many of us have said to you on other threads, you are not diabetic. Your aim to keep your fbg to 4 is unrealistic and dangerous as you starve yourself and become malnourished. Your bmi is already underweight. You have a young baby who will need you, and a husband who is worried about you, and mental health support available to you. Please get the help you need and stop thinking you have diabetes.

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
6 at 6AM and 7 at 7AM... this is bizzare trend and one I hope does not continue with the hour clock...:nailbiting:

HbA1c test today... between COVID-19 vaccination, high pollen count days and now all the lack of sleep and a suffering dog... I don't really have high hopes of a great result but also I do not expect it be in 80s or 90s ... strangely with all the stress around fear of losing Magic, everything else like this test today doesn't seem to bother me as much as it did on previous occasions.

Thanks everyone for all the kind words, wishes and prayers for Magic. I really am very thankful as this thread has kind of become my safe space during this period and being able to type it here does actually help me a lot. I am also sorry to only unburden my pain here while not being able to provide much in way of support to others right now but hopefully this too shall pass.

Have a lovely day everyone. :)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All.
6.8 not a great start to the day of my second Pfizer, just popped a Libre 2 on.
@nutribolt it is the stress putting your BG up I am sure of it. Its not surprising with your fears for Magic with vaccines, A1cs, pollen adding to that. We are always harder on ourselves than we would be on another. Keep talking to us, I want to hear how Magic is too and how you are. Hugs. x

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning chums, maybe not lashings of ginger beer all round though. Best wishes for the HbA1c @nutribolt. Whatever the number, it will be but a snapshot taken at an inopportune moment on your journey. The result may even happily surprise you. @PenguinMum I hope the Pfizer, Pfizer appetiser #2 goes well. The eye treatment and this clearly upset your fbgs. She'll be right. My Swipey felt like dressing up as 4.7 today - meh.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.3 for me bah!
Good luck with the vaccine @PenguinMum it’ll be worth it afterwards and I hope your higher stress related readings will start to come down soon.
@nutribolt you are right, the HbA1c isn’t the most important thing going on for you right now, your readings until recently have been great so I’m sure you’ll be ok. One of my favourite sayings is ‘This too shall pass’ so true. Hugs again.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A5.6 for me. Lots of fresh air and walking. Not sure if that helps, but heyho, will repeat the exercise experiment. Wish I was brave enough for some open water swimming, as it has been over a year since my pool closed. So solitary walks and Pilates it is for me, in the hope that I won’t seize up completely, and I keep good BG numbers.
Have a good day folks.

OCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is so much good info on this thread! Thanks to everyone who posts here. Today was 5.6 after random numbers between 5.2 and 6.2 over past week, started using MySugr which is great because I find the averaging reduces my FBG anxiety. I'm currently experimenting with foods to curb the spike after intense exercise ... think I might eat an oatcake half way through ride when I start getting hunger pangs to see what happens. Does anyone else have experience of this? Have a great day everyone

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is so much good info on this thread! Thanks to everyone who posts here. Today was 5.6 after random numbers between 5.2 and 6.2 over past week, started using MySugr which is great because I find the averaging reduces my FBG anxiety. I'm currently experimenting with foods to curb the spike after intense exercise ... think I might eat an oatcake half way through ride when I start getting hunger pangs to see what happens. Does anyone else have experience of this? Have a great day everyone

My BG spikes during intense exercise, it’s scary to watch sometimes but it comes down reasonably quickly afterwards as the aching muscles mop up all that glucose.
I don’t worry about it so much now, I figure it’s a normal thing to happen, BG usually drops much lower afterwards.

OCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks- that’s reassuring - I love that idea of muscles getting a lovely glucose treat!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Fbgs still a bit higher than usual for me after reintroducing exercise, but slowly coming down. Fasting levels yesterday were 5.5 and 5.4 today. Hoping this trend will continue.

@DJC3 -- Thanks so much for your commiserations. Also seriously impressed with your open sea swimming. Very courgeous. Remember swimming in the North Sea once in early summer when temperatures were 11 degrees centigrad, skin was veritably burning when I got into the water and after getting out.
@PenguinMum -- Hugs. Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. Agree with @ianpspurs -- you are such a kind and caring person, this is very obvious. Good luck with your second Pfizer vaccine. Keeping my fingers crossed that blood sugars will behave.
@nutribolt -- Hugs and fingers crossed for your HbA1c. I still think that the result will be great, though I empathize what you are going through with Magic -- very taxing. I can't imagine how I will feel when our cat will start having health problems.
@OCat -- I usually exercise late in the evening after a glass of wine. Wine seems to limit the rise (due to limiting glucose release from the liver), still don't necessarily recommend it as strategy. Initially during the first few years after diagnosis, I found a sharp rise (maybe up to 7.0) and then a fast drop and after some time a rebound to normal levels. Now, it is a lower rise, but a more gradual drop, but no more lows. Haven't really tested the impact of food on exercise, though (the reason being that personally I hate eating when I am not hungry).

Last edited: