Do all roads lead to diabetes for me?

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Another source of accurate low carb info is dietdoctor.com. No need to subscribe. Loads on there for free. Low carb does not mean low protein or low fat.

No one here is saying follow eatwell/nhs/balanced advice. We are simply telling you that you appear to be obsessing when your levels don’t warrant it. The tiny amounts of carbs, and particularly the other macros alongside this, you list as your intake is overreaction and likely harmful in your personal situation.

You may or may not be insulin resistant. The only indication is some higher fasting levels which have other likely explanations. You are not diabetic with an hb1ac of 30.

CBT will not tell you to eat cake. It may or may not be helpful to you in other ways but you are making assumptions highly unlikely to be true, possibly to avoid facing the real issues you have. The same way you are dismissing or ignoring what we are all saying
Thank you for your reply. I just think I’m eating too much and unsure how to carb count, that’s why I barely eat. Yes my HBA1c is non diabetic range but I’m keeping it that way by eating v little and exercising loads as it is just an average. Honestly I’m not dismissing what you guys are saying I know I need to eat more but because I can’t carb count I’m scared too. She said I would have homework like ‘eat cake you aren’t diabetic’. The said I have insulin resistance in the hospital as that causes GD. I’m being proactive trying to keep my numbers out of diabetic range on the A1c.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your reply. I just think I’m eating too much and unsure how to carb count, that’s why I barely eat. Yes my HBA1c is non diabetic range but I’m keeping it that way by eating v little and exercising loads as it is just an average. Honestly I’m not dismissing what you guys are saying I know I need to eat more but because I can’t carb count I’m scared too. She said I would have homework like ‘eat cake you aren’t diabetic’. The said I have insulin resistance in the hospital as that causes GD.

ok, so you seem to have a very literal understanding of what people say to you. Then you take it as fact and make it a foundation of your thinking.

It is very important that you reconsider the following:

they told you that you had insulin resistance while you were pregnant. This was because being pregnant can cause insulin resistance because if the pregnancy hormones. It does not mean that you must automatically be insulin resistant for ever after the pregnancy is over.

being told that CBT may involve homework does not mean you would be forced to eat cake. That was a rather silly example by the nurse. You would get to discuss the choice of homework with the CBT person, and you would be just as likely to be asked to go for a walk, or breathing exercises, or one of 50 thousand other possibilities. And it would always be your choice whether to do that homework, or not.

and most importantly, just because you don’t know how to carb count at the moment, doesn’t mean you can’t learn. Everyone here on the forum had to start somewhere and learn. It involves reading labels and a little maths. None of us got it right in the beginning, but we learned, and we learned from our mistakes. You can too. And after a while you will gain confidence.

Did you check out the diet doctor link someone kindly mentioned above? Lots of sensible, useful, helpful information there. No scaremongering. No confusing American counting systems. Lots of advice, menus and even shopping lists, with the carbs already counted for you.

Reactions: Rach612

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
ok, so you seem to have a very literal understanding of what people say to you. Then you take it as fact and make it a foundation of your thinking.

It is very important that you reconsider the following:

they told you that you had insulin resistance while you were pregnant. This was because being pregnant can cause insulin resistance because if the pregnancy hormones. It does not mean that you must automatically be insulin resistant for ever after the pregnancy is over.

being told that CBT may involve homework does not mean you would be forced to eat cake. That was a rather silly example by the nurse. You would get to discuss the choice of homework with the CBT person, and you would be just as likely to be asked to go for a walk, or breathing exercises, or one of 50 thousand other possibilities. And it would always be your choice whether to do that homework, or not.

and most importantly, just because you don’t know how to carb count at the moment, doesn’t mean you can’t learn. Everyone here on the forum had to start somewhere and learn. It involves reading labels and a little maths. None of us got it right in the beginning, but we learned, and we learned from our mistakes. You can too. And after a while you will gain confidence.

Did you check out the diet doctor link someone kindly mentioned above? Lots of sensible, useful, helpful information there. No scaremongering. No confusing American counting systems. Lots of advice, menus and even shopping lists, with the carbs already counted for you.
Yes the diabetic nurse said that’s why not all people get GDM. And a nurse even said to go low carb after the birth. I did look at that website but I see a lot of things that would spike me, tomatoes being one. I make almond pancakes before from there but don’t think baking powder is good if not wanting to be a diabetic as it has starch and we should avoid it going by Dr Unwin and Dr K Berry. If I list what I had for breakfast would you maybe be able to help me with counting it please?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
What on earth is stopping you from doing that yourself? It is child's play.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
If you weighed everything before you cooked it then yes.
Thank you. Oops I didn’t weigh I just used measure when scooping it out which was in 1tsps for 15 ml it was flaxseed/chia seed ‘porridge’. Maybe I should start weighing.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. Oops I didn’t weigh I just used measure when scooping it out which was in 1tsps for 15 ml it was flaxseed/chia seed ‘porridge’. Maybe I should start weighing.

I found it very useful to create my own food database by weighing and measuring.. I tend to eat quite similar things (mainly meat) so it was a fairly simple task.

Never bothered with "porridge" replacement just gave up breakfasts entirely, anything for an easy life and low blood sugars.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I found it very useful to create my own food database by weighing and measuring.. I tend to eat quite similar things (mainly meat) so it was a fairly simple task.

Never bothered with "porridge" replacement just gave up breakfasts entirely, anything for an easy life and low blood sugars.

Thank you. Normally I have an ommlette in the am with no sugars almond milk but trying to branch out a bit. I am trying to enter stuff on carb manager to make things easier for me. Would you know 15g of chia seeds are 4.2g fat, 0.4 carbs, fibre 5.1g and protein 3.6g, 63 cals what it would be for 12 g?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. Normally I have an ommlette in the am with no sugars almond milk but trying to branch out a bit. I am trying to enter stuff on carb manager to make things easier for me. Would you know 15g of chia seeds are 4.2g fat, 0.4 carbs, fibre 5.1g and protein 3.6g, 63 cals what it would be for 12 g?

The sum is quite simple so take the value lets say 63 cals for 15g

63/15 is 4.2 cals per gram so multiply by 12 and you get 12 * 4.2 = 50.4 cals per 12g portion.
Does that make it easier?

The best thing is to look at the food label on the back of the pack where you get the numbers per 100g.
This will give you a percentage so the chia seeds should for example say 420cals per 100g 420/100 is 4.2 so measure the amount you eat and multiply by 4.2 and voila you get the calories for what you have just served up.

It works the same way for all the macros, fats, proteins and carbs.
Waitrose has slightly different numbers for their Chia seeds but the principle is the same for all foods.

Does that help a bit?

Screenshot 2021-05-11 at 12.55.24.png

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
The sum is quite simple so take the value lets say 63 cals for 15g

63/15 is 4.2 cals per gram so multiply by 12 and you get 12 * 4.2 = 50.4 cals per 12g portion.
Does that make it easier?

The best thing is to look at the food label on the back of the pack where you get the numbers per 100g.
This will give you a percentage so the chia seeds should for example say 420cals per 100g 420/100 is 4.2 so measure the amount you eat and multiply by 4.2 and voila you get the calories for what you have just served up.

It works the same way for all the macros, fats, proteins and carbs.
Waitrose has slightly different numbers for their Chia seeds but the principle is the same for all foods.

Does that help a bit?

View attachment 49358
Thank you so much. I sort of understand so I’ll maybe get my husband to go over it with me later. I’m sorry maths really confuses me, especially with all the 4.2 fat per 100g business.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much. I sort of understand so I’ll maybe get my husband to go over it with me later. I’m sorry maths really confuses me, especially with all the 4.2 fat per 100g business.
Hi again Rach there is a regular thread called “What have you eaten today” which has been going for a very long time where we post meals and ask for suggestions. It is for members who are low carbing at any level. All the regulars are very friendly and no one is at all judgemental. It could be useful for you to get ideas for LC things to eat. Just an idea.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again Rach there is a regular thread called “What have you eaten today” which has been going for a very long time where we post meals and ask for suggestions. It is for members who are low carbing at any level. All the regulars are very friendly and no one is at all judgemental. It could be useful for you to get ideas for LC things to eat. Just an idea.
Thank you Penguin Mum I will take a look, good idea.:) I spotted the Lc chia seed/flaxseed porridge on here funny enough and I do enjoy it. I’ve not long built up to 2 meals a day and would really like to do 3.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. I did look at that website but I see a lot of things that would spike me, tomatoes being one. I make almond pancakes before from there but don’t think baking powder is good if not wanting to be a diabetic as it has starch and we should avoid it going by Dr Unwin and Dr K Berry.
Have you tested with a meter to see if tomatoes actually do spike you or are you assuming?
The amount of baking powder is tiny. Again unless you are badly diabetic you don’t need to take it to these extremes. Following the general principles and avoiding the worst offenders is more than enough in your situation

Please don’t write off the website it is one of the better ones out there. Look at the visual food guides and choose foods from the better end. Understand a tiny amount of something is quite different to a whole plateful. Fill up and eat plenty from the good end of the charts. No absolute need to count anything if you don’t want to or aren’t able. Just understand what’s high carb and what’s low.

Carb counting. Three options.

First the no maths one. I use this and my type 2 is way way worse than your possible insulin resistance and I maintain levels below diagnosis level. Look to see what number of carbs per 100g an item is (not the “of which sugars” bit but the first ones for all carbs). Then consider how much you intend to have. If you’ll be having a very small amount eg a teaspoon then you can afford to have a higher carb per 100g item. If you want to eat loads of it then look for lower carbs/100g. Most of my foods are less than 10g/100 many less than 5g. A few are up to around 20g but these items I eat much smaller amounts. Combine this method with the food charts I talked about above. And you won’t go far wrong.

or you can weigh the food you are eating and calculate the exact number of carbs. Eg 125g of a food. The label (or Look at nutrition count on a U.K. supermarket internet page) says the food has 15g of carbs per 100g of the food. So divide the 15 by 100 to find how many carbs per 1g of food. Then times that answer by 125g which is the amount you are planning to eat.

or you can eat the recommended portion size/weight as most foods with a label will give this as well as the per 100g amount. So no maths just weighing.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tested with a meter to see if tomatoes actually do spike you or are you assuming?
The amount of baking powder is tiny. Again unless you are badly diabetic you don’t need to take it to these extremes. Following the general principles and avoiding the worst offenders is more than enough in your situation

Please don’t write off the website it is one of the better ones out there. Look at the visual food guides and choose foods from the better end. Understand a tiny amount of something is quite different to a whole plateful. Fill up and eat plenty from the good end of the charts. No absolute need to count anything if you don’t want to or aren’t able. Just understand what’s high carb and what’s low.

Carb counting. Three options.

First the no maths one. I use this and my type 2 is way way worse than your possible insulin resistance and I maintain levels below diagnosis level. Look to see what number of carbs per 100g an item is (not the “of which sugars” bit but the first ones for all carbs). Then consider how much you intend to have. If you’ll be having a very small amount eg a teaspoon then you can afford to have a higher carb per 100g item. If you want to eat loads of it then look for lower carbs/100g. Most of my foods are less than 10g/100 many less than 5g. A few are up to around 20g but these items I eat much smaller amounts. Combine this method with the food charts I talked about above. And you won’t go far wrong.

or you can weigh the food you are eating and calculate the exact number of carbs. Eg 125g of a food. The label (or Look at nutrition count on a U.K. supermarket internet page) says the food has 15g of carbs per 100g of the food. So divide the 15 by 100 to find how many carbs per 1g of food. Then times that answer by 125g which is the amount you are planning to eat.

or you can eat the recommended portion size/weight as most foods with a label will give this as well as the per 100g amount. So no maths just weighing.
Thank you so much. I do appreciate you taking the time to reply. I will have a look at the website again. I just heard people saying tomatoes spike them so I’ve been too scared to try one since birth which is annoying as I love tomatoes. I love salads. I’m going to log what I eat in carb manager I think and try do the maths as it’ll make me feel better. I know bread puts up my numbers too much and porridge. Hubby wants me to have something for dinner but I just know if I do unless a small amount of bacon it will put up my FBS. I did have a plain steak out the other day with mushrooms (I hate them) and lettuce with olive oil over it and it was fine for me but that was at lunch time.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much. I do appreciate you taking the time to reply. I will have a look at the website again. I just heard people saying tomatoes spike them so I’ve been too scared to try one since birth which is annoying as I love tomatoes. I love salads. I’m going to log what I eat in carb manager I think and try do the maths as it’ll make me feel better. I know bread puts up my numbers too much and porridge. Hubby wants me to have something for dinner but I just know if I do unless a small amount of bacon it will put up my FBS. I did have a plain steak out the other day with mushrooms (I hate them) and lettuce with olive oil over it and it was fine for me but that was at lunch time.

If you want a very rough rule of thumb .. if the carbohydrate amount on the back of the pack is more than 5g per 100g or 5% then try and avoid it whatever it is.

Obviously the amount you eat will make a difference but that should help a lot.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
guys I just thought I could get some help food wise as I’m struggling to know what to eat.
You have had help, lots of help. You just won't or don't believe it. Just as you won't accept help from your CPN.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
You have had help, lots of help. You just won't or don't believe it. Just as you won't accept help from your CPN.
I am having help from my CPN and on list for counselling but Dr did say to be low carb and that was what I was struggling with. I do appreciate the help I’ve been given here so hopefully I can keep my numbers down. I’m sure you guys can manage not to look ill with all the weigh loss just to keep your numbers down. That’s why I was asking. I wasn’t trying to be rude, just want to stay out of pre-diabetic/diabetic range on the HBA1c.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hubby wants me to have something for dinner but I just know if I do unless a small amount of bacon it will put up my FBS..
This is not how it works. Dinner doesn’t automatically raise fbs. Food does not raise fbs. Carbs are what raise bgl. Sometimes an excess of carbs one day might reflect in the next days fbs but not always. Generally bgl will return to pre meal level after a few hours.

Not everyone reacts the same to all foods. Many of us eat a few tomatoes here and there. Grains and porridge are much more likely suspects than salads.

Dr did say to be low carb and that was what I was struggling with.
he said low carb. (Which means anything under about 150g carb a day. You seem to aiming for zero carb. A world of difference.

Do you always make so many assumptions, generalise this much, be so literal and become so extreme or is it just on this issue? I’m sorry that sounds so harsh but you seem not to be able to see this is how it looks from the outside and why I think this is about so much more than diabetes.
I’m sure you guys can manage not to look ill with all the weigh loss
that’s because we eat proteins and fats pretty much at will. And if we lose more weight than we want we increase these elements. It is only carbs that we restrict not all food.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What tomatoes do to other people isn't what would happen to you - I eat them all the time and my numbers are normal, all the time.
Bread and porridge oats are going to make a higher percentage of people spike as they are higher in carbs, but some people eat them and have no problem.
The reason for advising using a blood glucose monitor is that we all react differently to different foods, and as we change our reactions alter too.