Type 1 Covid 19 jab - diabetes side affects?

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya!

Just had my 2nd Pfizer jab and was wondering if anyone has experienced any side affects with their diabetes after having a vaccine please :)

My sugars were quite high after my first but idk if that was down to stress as I had a lot going on at the same time.

My manager at work is also NOT understanding at all, despite informing me her late brother had diabetes. So this is going to serve as a “look, I’m not making this up, others have experienced this, that and the other”

Thanks in advance guys!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Dana_Heath

I had the Astra Zeneca jab and ran a slight fever for a day or so afterwards but no major impact on my control, tbh I sort of expected to feel slightly unwell but felt i'd got off lightly compared to others.

The thing to remember though is that we are all different, some will experience higher BG levels etc, your manager cannot judge or compare you, if you feel unwell then you need to make the call as to whether you need to take time off and look after yourself, otherwise I wouldn't say say anything to her.

Craig20

Hi, I had my second Pfizer jab last Thursday and have struggled with my sugar levels since. I had flu symptoms the following day, shivering, high temperature etc.
sugar levels have been high ever since, 4 days later and they are slowly coming down. 8.4 today.
Everyone reacts differently but in my case I can see it being a week before I’m back to normal.
Remember health first.
Take care.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The reactions seem to vary ... and there are other threads discussing them.
Some people experienced higher numbers, some people experienced lower numbers and some people experienced no variation.
So, expect something or nothing but make sure you know what to do if you are in the "something camp"

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya!

Just had my 2nd Pfizer jab and was wondering if anyone has experienced any side affects with their diabetes after having a vaccine please :)

My sugars were quite high after my first but idk if that was down to stress as I had a lot going on at the same time.

My manager at work is also NOT understanding at all, despite informing me her late brother had diabetes. So this is going to serve as a “look, I’m not making this up, others have experienced this, that and the other”

Thanks in advance guys!

Hi,

Oddly my current boss is great regarding the Diabetes. He happens to have a T1 son in his early 20s.
Even insists I take time out if my CGM beeps? I've already sorted it. No need.
Now I got the 2nd jab next week. Just need time out to go & get it..
My boss did say to me "you ain't gonna be up to much afterwards." To be fair, I was fine.
It was the 24 hours the following day?
I felt like I'd had a heavy weekend of hedonism without the dodgy "flashback" or photos posted on Facebook. I also woke the following morning feeling like I'd been punched in the arm..
My FBGs were good. Didn't appear to be any liver dump.? (A little like after a night drinking alcahol.)

Lol, he seemed content that I maybe a little useless the day after... Dispite the reasonable BGs, I did feel phazed. ;) (But this is based on my experience with the first jab. )

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I had the oxford.. i don't think i had issues... i had a really bad headache the following day.. but prior to the jab i was suffering really high BG and i think the bad head was due to that rather than the jab

2 people at work were really ill after having the jab...

My Ex who is T2 had some issue with it.. that they didn't release her after the jab and took her to A&E where she sat for 17 hours before being released... but we don't talk much so not really sure what happened.

then i know some people who were fine with the first ill after the second.. im hoping that not the case for me as im due my second soon