Diagnosed Today

Echo.

Hi all, so I officially got my type 2 diagnosis today. I’m 33 with a very high BMI but also a strong genetic predisposition to Diabetes (Nan, Mum and Aunt all had/have Diabetes).

My GP ordered a blood test 3 weeks ago as I was starting a new anti-depressant and hadn’t had bloods done for a few years. Result came back with a 53 on the Hba1c. Had a repeat blood test 2 weeks later and results came in today and was still high (I didn’t think to ask for the actual number) so the GP has diagnosed me. Seeing the Diabetic nurse on Thursday for my first appointment.

I’m just wondering what to really expect? I’ve been trying to get my head around the low carb diet and feel like I’m now a bit confuddled.

Will I be recommended to test my levels? If so, will I be provided a meter or do we now have to purchase our own? I remember when my mum was diagnosed and over the years it seemed like she was given a new meter every year almost! In fact she had about a dozen of them in a drawer when we were clearing the house!!

Also, what apps would be suggested for things like logging meals, levels and the such?

Thanks in advance :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Start off getting that number and describing your diet in some detail. But yes, you must test and test often :)

Mike

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. It's unlikely you will be offered a meter due to NHS money limitations so you may need to get your own. You won't need to pay VAT. Get yourself registered with the surgery's online system so you can see your results each time you have a test. I'm sure others will recommend some books etc. Carbs & Cals App is just one resource.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Echo. and welcome to the forum.
Low carb dieting and self testing is the way to go to get your HbA1c down. Don’t expect your nurse to provide a meter or agree with a low carb diet. Some nurses are up to date with how low carb can help type 2s but a lot aren’t! Self testing is the only way to see how your body reacts to different foods and levels of carbs.
If you decide you want to buy a meter we can point you in the right direction for a cost effective one.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Just wondering how you are doing?

I absolutely recommend that you get a meter. It is unlikely that a doctor will prescribe it depending on where you live but the meter will be invaluable in helping you make the necessary changes to your diet. It will tell you the effect that what you ate had on your blood sugar levels and that helps you decide what foods you should eat.

So read this links in mine and @Rachox 's signature block as they are a great way to get some information quickly. Read around the forum there is a lot of helpful information. Ask questions- people here are generally very willing to help and at the start it can feel overwhelming. It does get better.

Welcome.

Reactions: Rachox

Echo.

Hi everyone, thank you all for your replies.

I have gotten myself a meter (applied for a free Contour Next One and it arrived a few days later).

I am however so very confused. My Hba1c was 53 when diagnosed a couple of weeks ago, I have been testing before and 1 hour and 2 hours after meals. I haven’t yet changed my diet as I’m still getting my head around it and haven’t yet done a big shop.

All my readings are perfectly within range both before and after meals. The highest reading I had was 8.4 an hour after eating pizza and dropping back down to between 5-6.

My average reading is 6.3 mmol.

Is this normal for a newly diagnosed T2? To have a high Hba1c but normal daily readings? How do I determine which foods cause ‘spikes’ when I’m not spiking out of range?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a Hba1c of 42, yet my blood glucose levels when testing were usually under 7.5, which ought to have been the highest levels after meals.
I think that my Hba1c is always going to be 42 - I dropped from 50 gm of carbs a day to 40 and it did not alter my Hba1c.
You might not see much change on the meter, but eating a low carb diet can do wonders for the waistline, I lost weight without even trying and my clothes started to fall off.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Hi everyone, thank you all for your replies.

I am however so very confused. My Hba1c was 53 when diagnosed a couple of weeks ago, I have been testing before and 1 hour and 2 hours after meals. I haven’t yet changed my diet as I’m still getting my head around it and haven’t yet done a big shop.

My average reading is 6.3 mmol.

Is this normal for a newly diagnosed T2? To have a high Hba1c but normal daily readings? How do I determine which foods cause ‘spikes’ when I’m not spiking out of range?

BG meters only test in that instant, so there may be times during the day/night that your BG is sitting a little high that you are not seeing... for some this can be the couple of hours prior to getting up in the morning

an average of 6.3 would give an hba1c of about 47.. plus any unseen higher readings

there are 2 other factors... home test monitors are not 100% accurate, at the most a margin of error of 15% less at lower end readings... the hba1c test also has a small margin of error too.

an hba1c is an average over the last 3 months, slightly biased toward the last month, so there could have be subtle changes in BG levels over that time as well, and i could almost guarantee that if you had 2 hba1c's 3 weeks apart you would get different readings.

i believe the diagnosis point for diabetes is 48, which indicates that an average of 6.3 is still on the slightly higher side of normal

Hope this helps a little without confusing further

Sam09

Hi all, so I officially got my type 2 diagnosis today. I’m 33 with a very high BMI but also a strong genetic predisposition to Diabetes (Nan, Mum and Aunt all had/have Diabetes).

My GP ordered a blood test 3 weeks ago as I was starting a new anti-depressant and hadn’t had bloods done for a few years. Result came back with a 53 on the Hba1c. Had a repeat blood test 2 weeks later and results came in today and was still high (I didn’t think to ask for the actual number) so the GP has diagnosed me. Seeing the Diabetic nurse on Thursday for my first appointment.

I’m just wondering what to really expect? I’ve been trying to get my head around the low carb diet and feel like I’m now a bit confuddled.

Will I be recommended to test my levels? If so, will I be provided a meter or do we now have to purchase our own? I remember when my mum was diagnosed and over the years it seemed like she was given a new meter every year almost! In fact she had about a dozen of them in a drawer when we were clearing the house!!

Also, what apps would be suggested for things like logging meals, levels and the such?

Thanks in advance :)
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Please see my last post. I was 32 when diagnosed with diabetes in Dec 2020. I am in remission right now. You can easily reverse your diabetes with diet, exercise, and stress management with 6 to 12 months. Stay positive and you can beat diabetes!

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
You mentioned at the start that your BMI is high. This may be a factor in the difference between your after meal readings and the A1c results. The fat especially around the liver is readily available for turning into glucose. If your body is used to a higher average level of glucose this may cause the higher A1c's. The happened to me and my solution was a lot of regular exercise including long walks and weight lifting. This helped to reduce weight (nearly 3st.) and waste measurement (36 in. down to 30 in.). The result was a continuous drop in A1c over a couple of years. It was over 10 years (and on insulin) before I got into low carb and this forum. Now I am down to 1 x 500 gm Metformin a day. As all above have mentioned, test to see how your bg is affected by different foods. I'd say off the pizza! Welcome a good luck.

Reactions: Rach612