Metformin

1954jessy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi all, winder if anyone can help me. I have been diabetic for 5 years and been diet controlled until recently. They have out me on Metformin and ever since I have had terrible indigestion with stomach pains. I have had CT scans ultrasound and they say nothing is wrong.

Help

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, winder if anyone can help me. I have been diabetic for 5 years and been diet controlled until recently. They have out me on Metformin and ever since I have had terrible indigestion with stomach pains. I have had CT scans ultrasound and they say nothing is wrong.

Help
Metformin can cause gastric issues. It is quite a well tolerated drug but when it does have problems it can be an issue. Are you on normal or slow release, the latter can often be better tolerated

unfortunately for sone either cause issues. What is your hba1c? There are also potential opportunities to change your diet to go back into diet. Low carb has worked for many here. Not a guarantee but could be a consideration

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jessy
It sounds like you are experiencing typical side effects that some people suffer with Metformin. There are a few things that might help. Starting on a low dose and gradually increasing it til you reach the required dose is reached can help or having the slow release version. Ask your doctor about either way of doing things. I have been on Metformin for four years and only suffered side effects for a week to ten days.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The plain version of Metformin can cause stomach/bowel upset and I'm surprised your surgery wasn't aware of that. Sometimes it only lasts for a week or two but do ask for Metformin SR (Slow Release) as it's much kinder.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Help
Can you tell us what you're eating? Maybe there's still a way to be diet controlled (quite likely even), because what you're experiencing is a normal side effect of metformin. Happens to a lot of people. And if it lasts longer than 2 weeks, it's not likely to go away. You can certainly try the slow release kind, is you haven't already. I'm stunned no-one mentioned these things to you and just sent you for scans and ultrasounds... Sheesh. You could "forget" the metformin for a few days and see how your guts respond? In the meantime we might be able to help you get the diet sorted, if we can.
I'm so sorry you're going through this.
Jo