Ankle Swelling

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't know if this is the right place for this but here goes. Been diabetic for 24yrs this year and have just recently started with swelling of my ankles/feet (before the heatwave started) been for my annual review and circulation/sensation to my feet are good and am on different medications for high blood pressure and a stroke (I know unlucky) my blood pressure is well within range,120/75 on my last reading , but my ankles have started to swell and it's getting extremely painful. I have a sedentary job role now and do sit at a desk for prolonged periods, but I do get up and walk around a lot but my ankles swell even more doing this. I suppose my question is has anyone else experienced this? I am going to make an appointment with my GP (for all the good it will do) I am just wondering if this is a diabetes related thing (which I can understand) or something else, hopefully just weather related.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Take care everyone

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@johnpol . Hi.
I had a similar problem maybe 10yrs + ago. Early mid 40’s
My ankles swelled up quite noticeably on two separate occasions.
HbA1C was good, weight was no different to usual, diet was usual, exercise and work normal.
Nonetheless my ankles just swelled up, didn’t seek any medical advice as I went on a suggestion from my wife, a nurse, to elevate my feet as often as possible. Consequently every evening I had my feet elevated high than my hips. ( a side table and a cushion ). Over the course of a few weeks the swelling went.
Not sure if this offers any help.
Obviously if you are concerned then a GP visit should be your first port of call.
Good luck and skinny ankles :)

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Do you weigh yourself in the mornings before breakfast ? Have you tested how far up on your shins the pitting oedema occurs ?

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you weigh yourself in the mornings before breakfast ? Have you tested how far up on your shins the pitting oedema occurs ?
It goes about midway up my shin, my weight has gone up but I'm training hard again for competition so it goes up a few pounds

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@johnpol . Hi.
I had a similar problem maybe 10yrs + ago. Early mid 40’s
My ankles swelled up quite noticeably on two separate occasions.
HbA1C was good, weight was no different to usual, diet was usual, exercise and work normal.
Nonetheless my ankles just swelled up, didn’t seek any medical advice as I went on a suggestion from my wife, a nurse, to elevate my feet as often as possible. Consequently every evening I had my feet elevated high than my hips. ( a side table and a cushion ). Over the course of a few weeks the swelling went.
Not sure if this offers any help.
Obviously if you are concerned then a GP visit should be your first port of call.
Good luck and skinny ankles :)
I sit every day on my reclining couch (best thing I've ever bought) with a cushion to raise my feet higher, but they are still swollen. I think I may have to do the unthinkable and go to my GP

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I sit every day on my reclining couch (best thing I've ever bought) with a cushion to raise my feet higher, but they are still swollen. I think I may have to do the unthinkable and go to my GP
Probably your best bet. Hopefully you can get it all sorted.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@johnpol . Just one of those stupid thoughts.
Rather like yourself, I still like to have a good workout 5 days a week. Probably like yourself I’m getting no younger;).
I’ve noticed over the last year or so that I’m prone to niggling injuries that I didn’t know existed.
Maybe you may, like me forget that we’re not in our 20’s or 30’s anymore and still try that bit too much.
Could the ankle trouble be in any way related to your lifting exploits ( which I have great admiration of ) ?
I’m pretty certain you’ve considered this but just in case you haven’t :)

Reactions: johnpol

akccoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a read up on the side effects of your blood pressure tablets. Amiolopidine is known for causing swollen ankles.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for the replies, I am reluctantly going to the Doctors (but as usual I have to wait a few weeks to be seen) hopefully it's nothing bad and is me being a bit melodramatic!!

Reactions: therower

Becca6510

How’s your kidney function? Tend to get them checked with all other diabetic bloods. Sometimes Chronic kidney disease patients can have water retention. Also, ever had any issues with your heart in the past? Sometimes that shows in ankle swelling/fluid retention. As the others say may be best to get to a gp and have some tests done

Reactions: dmckatana

walk39isl

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fluid retention in the ankles can be related to too low a seat - I had it twenty eight years ago at 12 stone 8 and 5 ft 9 inches at age of 21 to 22. However as the lady above said you do get fluid retention due to kidney disease but I found it started again in the ankles a year ago and now is not there but affects the back of my calves and forearms if I drink too much diet cola. I have type 2 diabetes now but only had a grumbling kidney at the time in my 20s (too many cups of coffee working for a local council!!)

Reactions: MargaretR

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a read up on the side effects of your blood pressure tablets. Amiolopidine is known for causing swollen ankles.
It gave me more than just swollen ankles and caused my previously reasonably well managed oedema to erupt into the most appalling, painful, weeping sores on one leg.

Parmid XL (felodipine) is another one that can cause - and lists - oedema in ankles & feet as possible (and serious) side effect, and I've had this happen more recently to both ankles and a lesser extent rest of lower legs. And all it did was cause me to wee for England, and raise my blood pressure because I was so blooming stressed out.

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Don't know if this is the right place for this but here goes. Been diabetic for 24yrs this year and have just recently started with swelling of my ankles/feet (before the heatwave started) been for my annual review and circulation/sensation to my feet are good and am on different medications for high blood pressure and a stroke (I know unlucky) my blood pressure is well within range,120/75 on my last reading , but my ankles have started to swell and it's getting extremely painful. I have a sedentary job role now and do sit at a desk for prolonged periods, but I do get up and walk around a lot but my ankles swell even more doing this. I suppose my question is has anyone else experienced this? I am going to make an appointment with my GP (for all the good it will do) I am just wondering if this is a diabetes related thing (which I can understand) or something else, hopefully just weather related.

Take care everyone

Did you ever find a reason/solution to this? I'm suffering with the exact same issue so badly the past few months, have had all kinds of tests done and found nothing?!!

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I wouldn’t normally get involved in this thread as I’m type two and don’t have swollen ankles, but...

In the last 8 months (50 yrs) I’ve had a mini stroke, in the last 6 weeks I’ve had heart bypass, complicated by a collapsed lung and fluid around an enlarged heart, in the last three weeks I’ve been enjoying a pulmonary embolism that’s apparently started in my shin and has moved into my lung, so apart from this giving me a opportunity to moan, the reason I’m speaking is I have seen ALOT of medical folks during these 8 months and every single one has asked me if I get swollen ankles, I never have but my point is, it seems to me that this could be a symptom of some of the things I’ve had so please don’t assume it is diabetes related, get checked out ASAP.

best wishes

Reactions: Jaya2

jennyjane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dislike cruelty to children and animals and all living creatures. Also, I dislike bullies, extreme modern art and architecture, supermarket and shop music that is unmelodic
I have in the past had swollen ankles which is a sign of poor circulation and can also affect the heart if your circulation is a problem. Many years ago I went to see a homeopathic doctor he was a very competent person and actually trained at the famous Guys Hospital in London and he prescribed Pulsatilla 30. I took this and it improved my circulation completely and my ankles went back to normal. Over the years my ankles have occasionally puffed up so I again take Pulsatilla and this brings them back to normal. Homeopathy is completely safe and you can use it if taking any conventional drug. Over the 35 years I have been using it it has cured my osteo- arthritis in my knee completely and saved me from having a hip operation and almost cured my carpal tunnel syndrome in my hands. Today my hands are only slightly numb - before I was in agony with such painful hands. I have loads of different remedies and have cured loads of different things
over the years both minor and some more major as above. The thing is if you take a remedy there are certain rules to obey ie you do not swallow the tablets but take them directly from the cap/lid of the remedy directly onto the tongue and suck them not swallow. You need to keep away from food/drink/smoking 30 minutes before and after taking a remedy. You also need to store remedies in a cool dark place away from strong smells like perfume and or menthol. Also, do not clean your teeth too soon before or after taking this remedy. It is such a shame that some people knock homeopathy because it really does work. I would recommend buying a book on using homeopathy say from Amazon, I promise you I would never recommend anything that was not correct - I believe in helping people and not sending out misinformation. Good Luck and Best Wishes to you all.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did you ever find a reason/solution to this? I'm suffering with the exact same issue so badly the past few months, have had all kinds of tests done and found nothing?!!
No never found out why my ankles are swelling, but they've decided by themselves that they no longer want to swell up. they just stopped one day during the lockdown 1, and have not swollen up since. sorry for not being of more help, I did have some heart tests to see if that was a cause of the swelling but everything has come back normal.

Reactions: Annb and Rylando88

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television

In Australia you can buy a product called Revitive Circulation Booster. It works by releasing small electrical impulses through feet, ankles and calves to stimulate blood flow. Increased blood flow helps to remove excess fluid from the lower legs.

Similar products are used in sports to increase blood flow in athletes with injuries.

David

PXJmcr

Take care everyone
I note you have high blood pressure. Calcium channel blocker’s can cause swelling in the feet and ankles, particularly felodopine (not sure of the spelling). If this is the issue it may be worth discussing a beta blocker with you doctor instead.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My legs and feet are seriously swollen and have been getting to this stage for a few years now. My blood pressure is on the high side, despite taking medication for it, but not as high as it used to be. Kidneys a bit challenged, liver a bit under the weather, heart and circulation absolutely fine. Over the last year or so quite bad eczema has developed on both lower legs. I had to consult aq dermatologist because of this and his opinion was that the problem is "venous insufficiency" or, i other words, varicose veins. but these veins are deep in my legs and cannot be helped by surgery. Compression hose are far too tight and do restrict my circulation, so I have to use surgical stockings for at least some level of support.

Putting legs up helps a bit, but as soon as my feet hit the ground for any reason, the fluid gathers in my legs - right up to my knees.

Doctors don't seem to be able to offer any solutions to me but I think it is important, given that swollen ankles/legs can be a symptom of other conditions, to consult a doctor and get all the test done that might be required.