Too high reading

lynbrown

Through my own careless fault, my reading at 1pm was 24. I took 12 units of insulin and its now, 2 hours later, showing 22.3 - hardly down at all. I feel spacey and dizzy, feeling odd. How can I bring it down, I feel its too soon for more insulin. Ideas please!!

Gafspa

Through my own careless fault, my reading at 1pm was 24. I took 12 units of insulin and its now, 2 hours later, showing 22.3 - hardly down at all. I feel spacey and dizzy, feeling odd. How can I bring it down, I feel its too soon for more insulin. Ideas please!!

Once you’ve gone so high your more insulin resistant .
I find the the correction dose of 1 unit to bring down 3 doesn’t work for me and I need more insulin that I’ve worked out.
When did you take the 12 units?
Do you exercise? Going for a run brings my levels down.

lynbrown

Once you’ve gone so high your more insulin resistant .
I find the the correction dose of 1 unit to bring down 3 doesn’t work for me and I need more insulin that I’ve worked out.
When did you take the 12 units?
Do you exercise? Going for a run brings my levels down.
I took the 12 at 1pm. Going for a run doesn't suit - I'm 77, cant manage it! Can I take more insulin now, at almost 4pm?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I took the 12 at 1pm. Going for a run doesn't suit - I'm 77, cant manage it! Can I take more insulin now, at almost 4pm?
It depends what type of insulin you take. If you have fast acting insulin, I would definitely be taking more.

Regardless of your age (or fitness), I would not be recommending a run at levels that high. Exercising when our blood sugars are high can cause stress on our bodies which could push levels up higher.

Drinking water can help.

The other important hing to check is that you do not have ketones. These can be very dangerous.
If you are not able to reduce your levels and if you have a high level of ketones, I recommend calling 111 and getting assistance.

lynbrown

Thanks for the speedy replies. It had gone down to 11.3 about an hour ago, so greatly relieved. I've taken a couple of Ibuprofen to combat the dizziness I am experiencing. Hard lesson learnt today - no more fancy snacks at local cafe for me.