P:E dieting

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t think I’m doing this right: I’ve put on 1.5kg ( my weight has been stable for 2-3 yrs now) plus an inch on my waist!
I’ll try tracking a bit more this week, otherwise it’s back to traditional keto for me it seems.

Hugs for the headaches @Goonergal I hope you figure them out soon. Long Covid has really knocked you for 6.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
A couple of days in

Day 2 Macros

BFG 5.0

Carb 49g
Fat 71g
Protein 160g
Calories 1560

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Day three

I haven't felt so full for years. My understanding of PE is that as I want to lose weight then I should eat 1 gram of protein for each pound of my target weight (in my case 172lbs so 172 g protein) and combined carbs and fats need to total less than the protein

Overdid the protein (due to a sirloin last night) but overall really had to push to get the protein up. Using all whole foods

BFG 4.5

Carbs 49g
Fat 63g
Protein 181g
Calories 1504
PE ratio 1.6

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Day three

I haven't felt so full for years. My understanding of PE is that as I want to lose weight then I should eat 1 gram of protein for each pound of my target weight (in my case 172lbs so 172 g protein) and combined carbs and fats need to total less than the protein

Overdid the protein (due to a sirloin last night) but overall really had to push to get the protein up. Using all whole foods

BFG 4.5

Carbs 49g
Fat 63g
Protein 181g
Calories 1504
PE ratio 1.6

Your daily calorie count looks very low.. where are the carbs coming from?

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Your daily calorie count looks very low.. where are the carbs coming from?
Carbs were from Veg - Brussell Sprouts, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Celery and Skim Milk in my Coffee 5 cups (decaf). Only three days in and focus has been on getting in the protein. Certainly can lift carbs and fat to increase calories while still maintaining a weight loss PE but I imagine will always be in net calorie deficit while looking to lose weight

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Day 4

BFG 4.5

Carbs 67g
Fat 66g
Protein 173g

Calories 1571
PE Ratio 1.3

Reactions: Goonergal

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Day 5

Fbg 5.4

Carbs 62g
Fat 68g
Protein 170g

Calories 1580
PE ratio 1.3

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Day 6

Experiencing no hunger. Energy levels seem good. I weigh in on Sunday mornings but weight loss seems significant

Fbg 5.0

Carbs 59g
Fat 87g
Protein 162g

Calories 1761
PE Ratio 1.2

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Day 6

Experiencing no hunger. Energy levels seem good. I weigh in on Sunday mornings but weight loss seems significant

Fbg 5.0

Carbs 59g
Fat 87g
Protein 162g

Calories 1761
PE Ratio 1.2
Been following your progress. I think this is what optimising is all about, so hats off to you. If I could add one general point. Scale weight, if it is a flat measure (just weight), may cause a feeling of lack of progress as you might be putting on leaner mass/

My diagnosed diabetes weight was 98 kg, I now weigh 92 kg. When I focused on plants and 3 hour a day workouts I briefly saw 79 kg. It is only due to body composition scales that I know I had put on mass, with a scientific set of metrics (observationally I have seen the changes, but this would be like hear say). My HbA1c is the same at 92 kg as when I dipped into 79 kg, but my fbg is lower.

Reactions: LaoDan

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I don’t think I’m doing this right: I’ve put on 1.5kg ( my weight has been stable for 2-3 yrs now) plus an inch on my waist!
I’ll try tracking a bit more this week, otherwise it’s back to traditional keto for me it seems.

Hugs for the headaches @Goonergal I hope you figure them out soon. Long Covid has really knocked you for 6.
After reading @Goonergal diet doctor post your experience is interesting. Have you considered posting what your version is, maybe some suggestions would stem from that. Your constitution might just be more suited to fat macros.

Reactions: DJC3

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Been following your progress. I think this is what optimising is all about, so hats off to you. If I could add one general point. Scale weight, if it is a flat measure (just weight), may cause a feeling of lack of progress as you might be putting on leaner mass/

My diagnosed diabetes weight was 98 kg, I now weigh 92 kg. When I focused on plants and 3 hour a day workouts I briefly saw 79 kg. It is only due to body composition scales that I know I had put on mass, with a scientific set of metrics (observationally I have seen the changes, but this would be like hear say). My HbA1c is the same at 92 kg as when I dipped into 79 kg, but my fbg is lower.

Thanks Mbaker

Very good point about the weight and body composition. Usually a bit not bothered with the inches other than the old belt notch. I did notice some pretty reasonably priced body composition scales last weekend and may invest. Still visually able to see obvious fat Belly, Upper thighs, Chest and Waist. fbg is good and a little lower this week

Reactions: Krystyna23040

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Day 7

Busy work day so needed to grab a high protein bar to boost my protein. Even had a few chips with my grilled fish for dinner.

Fbg 5.3

Carbs 72g
Fat 39g
Protein 163g

Calories 1413kg
PE Ratio 1.4

Last edited:

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Morning all from down under

After 7 days weight loss was 2.3 kg to 87.6kg. Felt very full all week even with low calories and energy levels were good. Certainly will continue on with the PE diet but rather than derail this thread I will maintain a blog with daily updates here www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/low-calorie-high-protein-pe-ratio-diet.2882/

While undertaking this diet for continued weight loss BFG were slightly lower over the week

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all from down under

After 7 days weight loss was 2.3 kg to 87.6kg. Felt very full all week even with low calories and energy levels were good. Certainly will continue on with the PE diet but rather than derail this thread I will maintain a blog with daily updates here www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/low-calorie-high-protein-pe-ratio-diet.2882/

While undertaking this diet for continued weight loss BFG were slightly lower over the week

Great idea on the blog (I’m following), but please do update us here from time to time. Would be interesting to see some of your recipes/meal plans too.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An update from me too. Was concerned by the discussion of returning migraines in this article linked up thread. Seems that in my case the increased headaches can be explained by underlying illness as it’s now 8 days since I had any form of headache, so the spell of them must have been caused by Long Covid. Fingers crossed that’s correct!

Oh, and my belt suddenly went in another notch when I put jeans on a couple of days ago.

Reactions: KK123

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Great idea on the blog (I’m following), but please do update us here from time to time. Would be interesting to see some of your recipes/meal plans too.
Will do each each weekly weigh in and will follow this thread. Will include some meals etc on the blog (not so much recipes from me)
Thanks

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After reading @Goonergal diet doctor post your experience is interesting. Have you considered posting what your version is, maybe some suggestions would stem from that. Your constitution might just be more suited to fat macros.

Thank you very much for your offer of suggestions. I’ve a feeling I was increasing protein without reducing the fat enough.
I’ve been away for a few days so have had to wing it a bit and make compromises to fit in with everyone else, but now I’m home I’ll start tracking properly and see what happens. I’ll post back here if I still have problems.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Choice of threads to post this on.....after a few ‘nut’ episodes, right back on it with a day of ~164g protein and a PE value of 1.6.

Lunch of a rosemary and garlic salted poussin, air fried.

Dinner was Picanha, bacon and eggs.

7E7B3334-035D-4DB4-AA8F-7707D8267506.jpeg

Reactions: Krystyna23040

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
2 weeks in. Weight loss this week .8kg (2.3kg since staring). Energy Levels have been good and following @Mbaker suggestion have been using body contour scales that indicate a small loss in body fat (.5%) and small increase in muscle(.4%). PE Ratio has been from 1.1 to 1.4 thru the week. Listened to a YouTube video on my walk this week. Dr Naiman not a fan of high fat yet quite partial to carnivores (with a bit of veg)

With being on the road for work and not having the cooking skills of @Goonergal I have had to rely on a few snack to hit the ratios, High Protein/L/Fat Yogurt, BSC Protein bars and canned Tuna.

From a calorie perspective averaged 1700 this week

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Update :- have now lost 4¼lbs n total. Am pleased it is dropping slowly as I am very close to ideal weight and am hoping that weight loss will slow down as I increase muscle but continue to.lose visceral fat.

Recent hba1c was 35 (Usually around 40) with cholesterol 4.7 (was 5.7 previously). All other results from the blood tests were also excellent. These figures were definitely as a result of the P.E. Diet as is the increasing feeling of wellness the longer I am on it.

So, obviously, I am really happy especially as I am on absolutely no medication whatsoever.