Informing Employers About Diabetes

HomerSimpson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I’m Type 1 and a Libre 2 user. I’m thinking of applying to a particular job. Is there any leaflet, document or anything that I can present to my employer explaining hypoglycaemia, so that I’m able to treat it if it happens at work?

I’ve read many horror stories of employers not allowing their diabetic workers to treat hypos. I just don’t want those things to happen to me.

Life is just so hard with a chronic illness that nobody understands. They all think diabetes is caused by eating too much sugar. I get depressed most days. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi all

I’m Type 1 and a Libre 2 user. I’m thinking of applying to a particular job. Is there any leaflet, document or anything that I can present to my employer explaining hypoglycaemia, so that I’m able to treat it if it happens at work?

I’ve read many horror stories of employers not allowing their diabetic workers to treat hypos. I just don’t want those things to happen to me.

Life is just so hard with a chronic illness that nobody understands. They all think diabetes is caused by eating too much sugar. I get depressed most days. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Employer's responses vary greatly. My employer was unconcerned about my diagnosis at age 54, but I've read some scare stories here.

Can I suggest you take a look at this info page and some of the sub links.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-employment.html

Adrraiya

Hi all

Are you in the US, the UK, or some other country. If in US, you should request "reasonable accomodation" under ADA. This means you soeak with Human Resources of the employer, get forms from them, have your doc fill out forms with the recommended accommodation, and then return that to HR. HR will process and then inform whoever you report to.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @HomerSimpson, from your previous post I think you're in the UK in the Midlands, (same here!). What is the job as a matter of interest? Obviously ALL employers are legislatively bound under the Disability Act so horror stories or no, you have the 'law' on your side. I ask about the work because I am sure some employers are more aware of this than others, some have HR depts, some don't, etc. In the main though, they would HAVE to make reasonable adjustments for you, obviously including for hypos unless they want you on the floor and an ambulance called, and yes, there are quite a few leaflets/cards/info that can be utilised in this situation.

MandieA

I got diagnosed T1 a month ago at the age 45. My boss was brilliant, very concerned, wanted to know more and then did a risk assessment for me explaining to all staff where my hypogel was, how to spot a hypo and treat it. Sounds like I'm very lucky after reading some comments on here. Just to add, I lent my book the DN gave me so my boss knew what it was all about x

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would never tell an employer. So many uneducated ones out there!
Whether you do or do not tell your employer is up to you. However in the UK for example if you don't disclose then you are not able to ask for reasonable accomodations and for those who potentially could have hypos it could mean you don't have support when you need it. I suspect you would also not be covered by the equality act 2010 if you don't. (But as I am not a lawyer I cannot confirm that) but you also don't want to put yourself at risk so it is hard I can appreciate

Hopefully your employers are good, every employer I have had has been absolutely fine but I do know unfortunately not everyone is good.

@HomerSimpson I am sorry previous employers haven't been good but I can assure you there are good ones out there. I hope yours is one of the good ones.

Jack111

You have got to be joking? Reasonable accommodation? It's all smoke and mirrors to look like they are doing the right thing by the government

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
You have got to be joking? Reasonable accommodation? It's all smoke and mirrors to look like they are doing the right thing by the government

I'm sorry if you've had bad experiences, but I'm going to put another point of view. As a T1, who is at risk of passing out through hypos when or if I lose hypo awareness, my life was saved by a colleague when I was pregnant because he realised I was hypo and drove me home (I'd got to the insisting I'm fine stage of hypo denial and was about to attempt to drive myself). That was a long time ago (my son is 29) but if he hadn't acted there could have been 3 deaths: me, my unborn son and whoever I would have been unfortunate enough to crash into when I attempted to drive my car.

And yes, I've been out of the paid work force for a while now, but my employers were all fine with me being T1.

Reactions: urbanracer

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Jack, are you type 2 by any chance? I think half the problem with that Employer wise, is that type 2s do not automatically come under the Disability Act in the way that type 1s do. Some do of course for various reasons but if a type 2 started asking for reasonable adjustments under the Act I think they would would get a wide variety of responses! Have you had an issue yourself?, I'd be interested to see what it was. x

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jack, are you type 2 by any chance? I think half the problem with that Employer wise, is that type 2s do not automatically come under the Disability Act in the way that type 1s do. Some do of course for various reasons but if a type 2 started asking for reasonable adjustments under the Act I think they would would get a wide variety of responses! Have you had an issue yourself?, I'd be interested to see what it was. x
You make a very good point that I didn't fully consider
It can fall under the act if it has a long-term physical or mental impairment and it is easier to argue that for type 1s rather than type 2s (in general)

However... Being harassed or bullied due to the condition could then be itself an issue but it is not a straight forward thing, and I am aware as I have always had good employers it is probable my judgement in what is right Vs what can happen is clouded

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-discrimination.html

Reactions: KK123

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
However... Being harassed or bullied due to the condition could then be itself an issue

Hi Andydragon, oh yes, I definitely agree. Anyone being bullied or harassed at work for any reason will have redress but I think the benefit of actually coming under the Disability act gives extra, specific protection and makes employers think twice before they start any funny business!