Very confused....

Jlovesrats

Hello!
Newly diagnosed (2 weeks) type 2 with a Hba1C of 70. Put on metformin twice a day. Since being diagnosed (and thanks to reading this forum) I have gone low carb and low calorie as I have a lot of weight to lose.
I recently bought a blood glucose monitor more for interest than anything else but the readings are confusing me as they are low. My fbg level read as 3.6, and my two hours after read at 5.8, and also 5.2 on another day.
Am I just to assume the monitor itself is faulty? What else could be causing a really high Hbac1 but low blood sugars?
Thanks!

Elenas

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well maybe the metformin and the low carb diet are working for the best , it's actually encouraging.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!
Newly diagnosed (2 weeks) type 2 with a Hba1C of 70. Put on metformin twice a day. Since being diagnosed (and thanks to reading this forum) I have gone low carb and low calorie as I have a lot of weight to lose.
I recently bought a blood glucose monitor more for interest than anything else but the readings are confusing me as they are low. My fbg level read as 3.6, and my two hours after read at 5.8, and also 5.2 on another day.
Am I just to assume the monitor itself is faulty? What else could be causing a really high Hbac1 but low blood sugars?
Thanks!

Hi there, your hb1ac will be an average of your glucose readings over the last 3 months, in other words the 12 weeks PRIOR to diagnosis and starting your low carb diet, losing weight and metformin. If you carry on with this change in the so called 'lifestyle', you may find your next hb1ac shows how your overall levels have fallen. In the meantime it sounds like you are doing really great, do NOT assume your monitor is faulty, it is your best friend. Without your daily checks you would have NO idea what your levels were doing in between hb1ac checks.

Reactions: sleepster

Jlovesrats

Thank you both! That's very reassuring. I saw my diabetic nurse for the first time this week and she made me feel very down - I'll keep on the with the low carb and hope for a lower Hba1c reading next time! :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!
Thanks!
Remember that the HbA1c readings are the average of the preceding 3 months (ish) and your blood sugar readings are here and now. If you have made major changes to your diet then they are obviously working well. Keep going.
Not sure I'd recommend the low calories part though just eat until satiated maybe 2 meals a day. Eat low carb and enjoy it.

Reactions: jjraak

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Greeting @Jlovesrats

The changes you've made are obviously bearing early fruit.
My fasting FBG at diagnosis was 7.5 & the follow up to confirm diagnosis 3 weeks later was 5.2.
Like you I read up, embraced low carb & started doing moderate exercise.

Keep it up, watch out for the faux lows, you've got this.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... I saw my diabetic nurse for the first time this week and she made me feel very down...
I think they get specially trained in this, its a certain skill they share with surgery receptionists (mostly!).
Don't be concerned, a few months reading in here and you will know so much more than she ever will

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Jlovesrats

Thanks again. Tested my own Hba1c last night and it showed 54 - down from 70 at diagnosis. So things are definitely heading in the right direction! This forum is a godsend I must have spent hours reading it since I was diagnosed and I feel much more confident about managing my own health now :)

Reactions: OrsonKartt