Suddenly out of control

Elenas

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good afternoon, I m a pre diabetic that control my diabetes through diet and with the berberine supplement ( I don't tolerate metformine at all).
My numbers were pretty good for months as I follow a low carbs diet. Fasting BS was the only one I could not really put down but it was still okay.
Although it's been 3 days now that my numbers are getting out of control. I have 170 mg/dl after eating ( for me it's a lot as I never had such huge number of my life), and about 130 mg/dl fasting, while before it was at 100/110 level.
I feel thirsty and I need to pee all night long , I also have discomfort in my legs behind my knees. I feel something is going wrong.
My diet is the same as before. Why suddenly BS is going that up , I'm scared.
Does anyone also experience such fast degradation of their numbers all of a sudden ? Should I go to hospital for emergency appointment with my endocrinologist ?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good afternoon, I m a pre diabetic that control my diabetes through diet and with the berberine supplement ( I don't tolerate metformine at all).
My numbers were pretty good for months as I follow a low carbs diet. Fasting BS was the only one I could not really put down but it was still okay.
Although it's been 3 days now that my numbers are getting out of control. I have 170 mg/dl after eating ( for me it's a lot as I never had such huge number of my life), and about 130 mg/dl fasting, while before it was at 100/110 level.
I feel thirsty and I need to pee all night long , I also have discomfort in my legs behind my knees. I feel something is going wrong.
My diet is the same as before. Why suddenly BS is going that up , I'm scared.
Does anyone also experience such fast degradation of their numbers all of a sudden ? Should I go to hospital for emergency appointment with my endocrinologist ?
Have you recently been ill or vaccinated?

Reactions: Elenas

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you are slim or have lost weight recently without trying then it's possible you are late onset T1 (LADA) and not T2. Misdiagnosis is quite common. Ask for the two tests for T1 i.e. GAD and C-Peptide if you fit the description or the BS keeps going up.

Reactions: Elenas

Elenas

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. If you are slim or have lost weight recently without trying then it's possible you are late onset T1 (LADA) and not T2. Misdiagnosis is quite common. Ask for the two tests for T1 i.e. GAD and C-Peptide if you fit the description or the BS keeps going up.

I once suspected that I was LADA as indeed I'm underweight, but my endocrinologist when first diagnosed tested my fasting insulin and my result came with hyperinsulinemia + in a state of insulin resistance so she exclude T1.5 immediately.
Although recently my fasting insulin is dropping very low every time we test it, she said it's because my low carb diet so normal that I don't have high insulin numbers anymore.
I will ask again for the antibody test and C peptide , unfortunately my insurance is refusing to cover it. I have to push for everything so much, but so far they keep telling me I need to cut carbs more and more and that's because I'm not serious enough that it's rising...

Jibba Jabba

My levels have been abnormally high for me over the past 3 weeks. I had my second Pfizer vaccine 3 weeks ago today. If they continue to stabilise, I’m putting it down to that.
I’ve also got some strips for a new meter (GlucoRx Go) that I bought about a month ago so that I can compare the readings against my (old) CodeFree. There is quite a difference:
CodeFree 6.5, 6.0, 7.6, 8.1
Gluco/Rx 5.5, 5.1, 6.1, 6.8

I did a Solution Control check on the Gluco/Rx and it was within range. I can’t do that for the CodeFree as I don’t have any Solution for that meter

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not unusual for Codefree to read approx 1 to 1.5 mmol.l higher than other meters. Mine has done that for nearly 7 years now,

@Elenas our bodies can adjust our metabolism in response to a change in diet so that a Low Carb diet starts off well, but after a while, the metabolism slows and the sugars rise. I think it was Jason Fung that discovered that if you introduce fasting episodes, it can help reset this and drop you back to where you were. He advocates intermittent fasting so that the body cannot synchronize to the pattern. I have also read that the occasional carb binge can do the same, but this carries the risk of inciting carb cravings which defeat the object of the exercise.

Edit to add: Is it by any chance a new pot of strips? That can also give this type of problem.

Last edited:

Jibba Jabba

It's not unusual for Codefree to read approx 1 to 1.5 mmol.l higher than other meters. Mine has done that for nearly 7 years now,

Thank you for your reply. I didn’t realise that meters would differ that much but I’ve been having a search through the forum and it seems this is quite normal.

Elenas

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

@Elenas our bodies can adjust our metabolism in response to a change in diet so that a Low Carb diet starts off well, but after a while, the metabolism slows and the sugars rise. I think it was Jason Fung that discovered that if you introduce fasting episodes, it can help reset this and drop you back to where you were. He advocates intermittent fasting so that the body cannot synchronize to the pattern. I have also read that the occasional carb binge can do the same, but this carries the risk of inciting carb cravings which defeat the object of the exercise.

Edit to add: Is it by any chance a new pot of strips? That can also give this type of problem.

Thank you for the information's . I didn't change the strip pot no, so maybe my metabolism indeed start to get lower.
It's okay to fast up to how many hours ? I do this how many time a month?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the information's . I didn't change the strip pot no, so maybe my metabolism indeed start to get lower.
It's okay to fast up to how many hours ? I do this how many time a month?
This is not a source I normally use myself, but since I don't fast either, I include it here. Jason Fung has published books on this, and other members who use his methods may chip in.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322293

I don't think it is critical. Maybe skip the occasional meal. I skip lunch and that gives me two fasts a day but it's regular, not intermittent. Others use TWOMAD or OMAD (One Meal a Day).

The idea is to give the insulin rush from a meal sufficient time to subside before the next meal. Religious orders do more regulated fasting, but generally a day at a time. Ramadan and Lent and Saints Days are examples of that, but that is not aimed at diabetics.