Prescribed fast acting for bolus?

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi all, i'm not sure whether i should have added this to my other thread but it's only somewhat relevant. Along with the long acting Toujeo Solostar which does barely anything i mentioned about Bolus and so he has prescribed me Insuman Basal Solostar and starting off at 12 units at meal times... and the Toujeo 28 units with my evening meal.

Ok, so i collected it today and went to have brunch, when i got up today my sugars were 19.4 and obviously i was feeling on fire, i had one cup of tea and no breakfast, went shopping and took the new insulin just before i ate. Well afterwards i've passed out and was so incredibly dry and thirsty i could barely open my eyes, i checked and my sugars are now 17.8 and this is some 3.5 hrs later and feeling horrid i just can't get my sugar levels down to an acceptable level, any thoughts on this please, has anyone else had this combination or has anyone any tips please.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Both Toujeo and Insuman Basal are slower-acting (Insuman basal looks to be intermediate acting rather than slow slow), it would seem an odd combination in my opinion
I believe there are intermediate/slow and fast acting versions of Insuman (via Google) maybe you got prescribed/given the wrong one?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
i would contact your prescriber to double check they may simply have clicked the wrong item in a drop down on the computer?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
You may need to be referred to the diabetes team at the hospital that treat type 1's as GP's struggle to treat type 2's when you need short-acting and fast-acting. It appears you have been prescribed two long-acting insulins. I rest my case. :(

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You may need to be referred to the diabetes team at the hospital that treat type 1's as GP's struggle to treat type 2's when you need short-acting and fast-acting. It appears you have been prescribed two long-acting insulins. I rest my case. :(

Thank you @ert but this is the hospital endicrinologist, it may have been an error at the phramacy

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
On the packet of the Insuman Basal Solostar it says not to refrigerate pens which are being used so not trying to be daft, i'm keeping the one i'm currently using in a drawer, the Toujeo says it must be kept in a fridge though with that i find the injection can be uncomfortable for a moment, can anyone confirm this, i'm looking at different sites and the writing is incredibly small.