Covid vaccine

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
I did, and she just stared at me! Then said I don’t want a needle stuck in my arm!!! LOL she’s a bit of a scaredy-cat LOL

It will be her decision but she always asks what we think and I have been honest and said I can’t honestly give you an answer at the moment, we’ll think on it for a while, (buying some time) :)

I understand the situation you are in, my daughter is healthy and 19yrs old. She says I’ve got through the pandemic and worked everyday and nothing. (She works in the supermarket Morrison’s) I’m not having it. I’m not going to force her. Although I think over the coming years it will be hard for people not to have it and make it difficult for people, as in, airlines saying you have to be vaccinated, some pubs and clubs and also work related so I think eventually everyone will have them. I don’t believe the conspiracy side of vaccines and if people choose not to have them I don’t think any less of them, it’s their choice, just don’t talk about conspiracy theories as I will just ignore you ha!

Reactions: Pipp

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
I had my second vaccination last week and have been fine. I had a sore arm and was tired for a couple of days but no side effects apart from that. Benefits far outweigh any minor side effects in my opinion. But do talk to your GP if you have concerns.

Reactions: Dudette1

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would advise you to chase it up. Our second Pfizer due by 22 May and just been called for next Tuesday.
Just realised my 2nd would be 12 weeks as of May 22 also so should be getting that call up imminently. Last time I posted on the forums thinking I was forgotten about I got a message the same day so maybe this’ll trigger that ;)

Daisychain1

I understand the situation you are in, my daughter is healthy and 19yrs old. She says I’ve got through the pandemic and worked everyday and nothing. (She works in the supermarket Morrison’s) I’m not having it. I’m not going to force her. Although I think over the coming years it will be hard for people not to have it and make it difficult for people, as in, airlines saying you have to be vaccinated, some pubs and clubs and also work related so I think eventually everyone will have them. I don’t believe the conspiracy side of vaccines and if people choose not to have them I don’t think any less of them, it’s their choice, just don’t talk about conspiracy theories as I will just ignore you ha!

No, I don’t believe in conspiracy theories either, think we are so very lucky to be in the position we are having the vaccine so fast! I had no problem with my son having his, I think more worried about my daughter as she just seems so young and healthy, just want to wait a little while, I think once it’s her age group across the board she’ll feel a bit braver and I feel a bit more relieved, maybe it’s just because she has been offered it because of my health rather than her age group being called.

Thank you for your answer though, really helps so I don’t feel like I’m stressing over nothing (I stress enough over anything and everything as it is lol) :)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just realised my 2nd would be 12 weeks as of May 22 also so should be getting that call up imminently. Last time I posted on the forums thinking I was forgotten about I got a message the same day so maybe this’ll trigger that ;)
Mines due by 25th so trying this trick. Fingers crossed

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my 1st Pfizer jab today. In Ireland, which is months behind UK. I was in the at risk cohort, not because of T2 (cutoff A1c >55) but because my last recorded BMI was 42 (cutoff >40). I never told them I'd lost 5st since and surgery couldn't weigh us during Covid.

Igor23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
OK, 64, type 2, on 2000mg metformin, 320mg gliclazide 100mg canaflizogin daily plus 1.5 ml Trulicity once a week, I have regular flu vaccinations, and on 19 April had my 1st AstraZeneca jab, only had a sore arm for the 1st 6 days, woke up on 27th with terrible double vision, diagnosed as 6th intercranial nerve blockage/damage, now waiting on an MRI scan to see if it's been caused by a blood clot or diabetic neuropathy, not at all sure if I should have the 2nd one now....

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
OK, 64, type 2, on 2000mg metformin, 320mg gliclazide 100mg canaflizogin daily plus 1.5 ml Trulicity once a week, I have regular flu vaccinations, and on 19 April had my 1st AstraZeneca jab, only had a sore arm for the 1st 6 days, woke up on 27th with terrible double vision, diagnosed as 6th intercranial nerve blockage/damage, now waiting on an MRI scan to see if it's been caused by a blood clot or diabetic neuropathy, not at all sure if I should have the 2nd one now....

So sorry to hear about the problems you have had. I guess only you can make that decision and do what you think is best. Speak to your gp or doctor you are under at hospital, although I imagine you will likely get the same kind of answer. It’s your decision. Hope everything goes well and you get sorted

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I knew mine was due soon but I have not received 2nd letter so phoned nhs covid appointments team who advised my appointment is next Saturday (22nd) just as well I phoned them as still no letter it could be lost in post or possibly has never been sent ...

Daisychain1

Update, My daughter decided that as we were contacted for her to have the jab it would be responsible for her to have it, her words were I go to college and mix with lots of people so I want you protected mum, so I phoned the doctors to make her appointment as the letter instructs and was told, nope she can’t have it, just ignore the letter! Not what we were expecting, actually don’t mind waiting, like I said before wasn’t in a rush for her at her age, but just wish they wouldn’t send these letters out to confuse and worry people.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update, My daughter decided that as we were contacted for her to have the jab it would be responsible for her to have it, her words were I go to college and mix with lots of people so I want you protected mum, so I phoned the doctors to make her appointment as the letter instructs and was told, nope she can’t have it, just ignore the letter! Not what we were expecting, actually don’t mind waiting, like I said before wasn’t in a rush for her at her age, but just wish they wouldn’t send these letters out to confuse and worry people.

That's interesting.
If she still wants to be vaccinated, you can check on the GOV.UK website.
Anyone who is 'on the list' to be vaccinated can make an appt on that site.

So if she goes to the site, and enters her details, if she is 'on the list' then she will be able to book, if she isn't, then she won't.

I managed to book my vaccination days earlier than I was offered it by my local healthcare, because I booked directly on GOV.UK

Hope that helps.

Daisychain1

That's interesting.
If she still wants to be vaccinated, you can check on the GOV.UK website.
Anyone who is 'on the list' to be vaccinated can make an appt on that site.

So if she goes to the site, and enters her details, if she is 'on the list' then she will be able to book, if she isn't, then she won't.

I managed to book my vaccination days earlier than I was offered it by my local healthcare, because I booked directly on GOV.UK

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your answer it’s actually not a problem her not having it yet, we didn’t even expect her to be offered one for ages yet, like I said before she’s young and healthy and more people in need should get it first, and she is a scaredy-cat so wasn’t exactly keen anyway lol, more the fact we got the letter from the gp, listing the JVCI has advised people in the household should get it to keep basically me as named on the letter safe, so like I said to her, it’s your choice and you can wait, but she kept reading the letter and got more and more stressed thinking ‘if’ I happened to catch it and be ill (I said I’ll be fine I’ve had my vaccine) she would always think it was her fault so she asked me to please book her in, and then they said, no ignore the letter, so really just caused lot of needless stress.