Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Thanks @Fairygodmother

I am just back from the hospital where the consultant picked a lump of dead grey tissue out of my thumb leaving a hole about 10mm in diameter. With a big smile he tells me the wound looks 'pink and healthy'. I asked 'is all that going to grow back:woot::yuck:? He replies 'Yep, should do' and then 'come back and see me Friday, you don't need an appointment, just rock up at 9am'.

On the one hand I'm pleased that he thinks everything is going well, on the other hand (no pun intended) I am a bit down about the prospect of spending most of the summer bandaged up. And just as most people are starting to get back to some kind of normal.
That’s good news and bad news. Very cheering that the infection seems to have been trounced; we were all a little worried by what you’d be facing if the antibiotics failed. Commiserations about a summer protecting it while it heals. Are there any nifty dressings that would cause less of a hindrance while ensuring the wound’s not knocked or bashed? On the other hand (pun intended) search out a fancy lounger, a few palm trees and flamingos, and sugar free Pimms for you and Mrs Urbs. Bermuda shorts too.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello again,

I’m just checking in on everyone, how is everyone?

I read a news article that was very sad. :(
IMG_3713.jpg

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I absolutely use the watlaa; I really appreciate not having to stop, free a hand and root out a phone to see my bloods. I did invest in an old bumbag so I could have the phone with me at all times when out and about but it was uncomfortable. Libre 1 for me for as long as it’s available, if the Consultant agrees.

I feel the issue with the Watlaa isn't the connection at that time. I don't think it hadn't been lost during the update, I would have at least a working watch?

My phone actually still sees the device. I just can't do anything else with it. The app keeps saying, "searching for updates."
What I have noticed lately is I have to authorise security on my phone browser to visit the Watlaa site? (I keep getting told the site is dodgy, do I wish to proceed.. ) Some sort of access permissions on my phone somewhere?
Soooo, now I'm wondering if my phone security is the issue finding the firmware..

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can someone tell me if a phone should 'see' the Libre 2 when you check in Bluetooth?
I'm starting to think I can't get the alarms on Librelink or the Diabox app to work because my first Libre 2 has a faulty bluetooth thingy.
If that is the case I can keep fiddling with the settings in my phone until the end of time but nothing will happen of course.

I have checked if the bluetooth in my phone works correctly by borrowing my neighbour's headphones to test. No problem, so the bluetooth on my phone works.

186450617_10223500682499542_2344961738901937559_n.jpg

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m assuming so as I don’t use Bluetooth for anything else. My first sensor didn’t have alarms working because I forgot to turn everything on before scanning. Could a setting have been off when activating? Perhaps Abbott will replace it for you either way.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Could a setting have been off when activating?
That's possible. Would this mess up the bluetooth connection for the life of the sensor?

I'm afraid Abbott won't replace. Last time they told me my phone wasn't on their (very short) list of approved phones so they wouldn't look further into my questions.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah sorry you can’t get an easy replacement. Yeh I think you have 1 chance to connect at activation.

Before I activated the second one I made sure everything was on & it worked.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone seen any activity from @Japes recently?

Hello...

Hadn't quite realised how long I'd been silent and almost inactive here! I have been reading at weekends so I'm fairly up-to-date with everyone.

Working in education is very, very grim at the moment. The rollercoaster of all being in the workplace, mixing being in the workplace with some on-line, then suddenly all being online again is proving very exhausting. Still, being back in isolation again is less exhausting than previous ones and so we decided, as a group, we were in a pretty good place so this period of time we're focusing on making sure everyone's OK rather than stressing over targets and achievements.

But, I'm alive, well, fully vaccinated, and with reasonable blood sugars despite the low levels of current physical activity! One of the pluses of all this is I can swing between active days and inactive days with my ratios much more confidently than pre-pandemic days.

Reactions: hh1 and karen8967

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I forgot to split dose for a tortellini pasta lunch today and chased the lows for 2-3 hours this afternoon then spent another hour grabbing the high. I’m now heartily sick of T1, cross that I’ve had to cancel and reschedule two events: I’m liviD.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Japes great to know you are ok.
@Fairygodmother ooh I feel your pain. If only it was just as easy as injecting and eating. So many nuances, that even the medical profession overseeing us have no real understanding of. The use of technology has shown diabetes up to what really happens behind our backs.

Reactions: RVW

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hugs @Fairygodmother it can be very irritating.

I'm going to get Afrezza and I have a pulmonary function test scheduled in a couple of weeks that's required first. It would have been nice if Fiasp had worked for me but it didn't. So on to Afrezza, just for those off and on highs, I will still have Humalog in my pump.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good to hear you’re here @Japes. Yes, working in education is tough right now; it’s exhaustingly taxing. Older daughter’s experiences and frustrations with the way the ‘rules’ lag behind the ‘realities’ plus the extra work and pupil support over the last year has made me very grateful that I’ve retired.
I do still miss the students though and the good times in the staff room when it was sometimes hard to quell the laughter in time to put on a more mature face.
I suspect you often have to deal with a different set of challenges.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you for commiserations @becca59 and @Marie 2. I was cross with myself. I even failed to be cross enough to release enough adrenaline to raise blood sugars: double inadequacy.
I saw your reference on another thread his morning to the development of an integrated cgm and pump, a looping pump, @urbanracer - I suspect that by the time it’s approved by NICE I’ll be far too old or seeing the daisies from the other side, but oh my, I want one of those!