Another plus due to diabetes

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

With all the doom and gloom of the New Year and post holiday blues etc I thought I'd share another positive aspect of being diagnosed with diabetes.

My feet have never looked so good :D

I must admit that my feet were ALWAYS the most neglected part of my body-cracked heels, hard skin, discoloured toe nails etc. However, on diagnosis I was told to get hard skin removed professionally, which I did, and to moisturise my feet every day. It's amazing what the fear of losing your feet will do. They are now the most looked after part of my body :lol:

Can't wait to show them off in the summer :lol:

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi Chocolhicnomore.

A plus side for me is actually taking care & looking after myself. After being Dad for so long, looking after me was rock bottom on the list of priorities.

Diagnosis 2 years ago was the kick in the bum I needed to lose weight, excercise & get fit.

Best wishes

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great stuff choco! :)

I moisturise my feet everyday using flexitol heel balm after bathing, I have yet to find a product that is anywhere near as good as flexitol for keeping skin soft.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Noblehead

I've been using flexitol too. I agree it's really good but maybe because this time I have persevered rather than giving up after a few days. As I said, the fear factor has alot to answer for :lol:

theblokefromstoke said:
A plus side for me is actually taking care & looking after myself. After being Dad for so long, looking after me was rock bottom on the list of priorities.

Diagnosis 2 years ago was the kick in the bum I needed to lose weight, excercise & get fit.

This is so true on so many fronts. I too have turned my life around since being diagnosed and it was the kickstart that I needed. There is a big difference between choosing to diet, exercise and lose weight and having to do it for fear of future complications.

Meg2009Arm

I also have diabetes to thank for weight loss and general better control over my health. I spent years trying to shift just a stone or so, i've never been medically overweight and infact now that I am happy with the my size (10) I am told by the docs that I am underweight and must not loose anymore but try to put some back on (sometimes you just can't win!) OK my BMI is just 18.3 which isn't ideal but I feel in control and like the new me better :D By the way very difficult to put weight on if following a low carb, good diabebtic diet. Any tips appreciated. x

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
Meg2009Arm said:
By the way very difficult to put weight on if following a low carb, good diabebtic diet. Any tips appreciated. x
Plenty of calories in alcohol!

Unbeliever

Its good o read all these positive comments. if you see positive results straifht off it will give you a real incenive to continue and help to prevent depression ec.

My eperience was the exact opposite and is made it all so difficult. I regreted ever being dignosed.
Couldn't nderstand the point of itall ,nothing worked . Felt fine before aaccidental diagnosis.
Was put on metformin which had horrific and somewhat unusual side effects and which apppeared o make my levels rise. Was told my existing longterm GI diet was all wrong for me and to ea sarchy carbs . Bg just conytinued to rise. Then put on rosiglitazone which caused macular oedema.

I just couldn't understand why they bothered rying to diagnosis at all if these were the results.

Its been a long, hard journey for me . Things started to change when I found this forum.
IContact with others with diabetes is , I think essential.
It is good to read all these positive results of diagnosis etc. Great idea to share them.