Stress - does it make your sugars go up or down?

Snodger

I know, it's very odd isn't it? T2s with the stress-hypo thing may be reacting to stress by putting out a bit more insulin, but for those of us who aren't producing insulin at all, the only reason I can think of would be to do with the liver. Normally the liver chucks out a drip drip of background sugar. Most people's livers respond to stress by chucking out more background sugar to help fuel their muscles in a fight or flight situation.
BUT! When you stress the liver out in other ways - eg by giving it alcohol to detox - its priorities change. It deals with the alcohol first and then goes back to sending out background sugar. Could our livers be somehow wired up a bit wrong (technical term there) and reacting to stress by shutting down what they see as less essential functions?

daisy3174

Could be Snodger, perhaps we are back to front, or could it be something to do with hormones or adrenalin.Sometimes I swear I have this feeling in my stomach (when I am really stressed) that something is being released, like a strange tight burning feeling, then down goes the sugar.The other day my friend was outside the house, so I was chatting with her and I started shivering like a leaf, thought I was just cold, but when I went in and tested, low and behold a 3.4, I was not stressed then just a bit cold.I am going to have a look into this on the net, will let you know if I find anything x

daisy3174

Just found something of interest -:
Hypoglycemia can also be caused by a problem with the pituitary or adrenal glands, the pancreas, or the liver. The pituitary gland controls the body's production of hormones needed to raise the body's blood sugar levels if they fall too low. These hormones include adrenaline and cortisol, which are released from the adrenal glands, and glucagon, which is released from the pancreas. These hormones all help raise blood sugar levels. If they are not working properly, this could cause hypoglycemia.

Hypoglycemia can also result when the liver can't properly store carbohydrates or convert them into glucose. A tumour on the pancreas can also cause hypoglycemia by causing too much insulin to be released.

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
Hi, My sugars go up with stress too.
When I was teaching I found that before I went into a class or had a stressful day, my sugars rose up to 30 - 37 on my tester kit. Obviously I was horrified, and spent the day injecting more insuline
and eating practically nothing whilst walking around all lunchtime.
My sugar levels dropped at home time and I frequently had to check I wasnt going hypo!
What a roller-coaster!
In the end I practised breathing exerrcises and simple yoga techniqhes at lunchtime. This helped.... sometimes.!

Snodger

daisy3174 said:
Just found something of interest -:
Hypoglycemia can also be caused by a problem with the pituitary or adrenal glands, the pancreas, or the liver. The pituitary gland controls the body's production of hormones needed to raise the body's blood sugar levels if they fall too low. These hormones include adrenaline and cortisol, which are released from the adrenal glands, and glucagon, which is released from the pancreas. These hormones all help raise blood sugar levels. If they are not working properly, this could cause hypoglycemia.
that's very interesting. Before I was diabetic, I used to have quite a few hypos (didn't check bg, but had massive hypo reactions with shaking and sweating, and unable to function until my liver finally kicked in and dumped some sugar into the blood). I wonder if my pituitary was already witholding the appropriate hormones, or being really slow off the mark in releasing them? Daisy and others, did you too used to have hypo-like symptoms before you were diabetic?

daisy3174

Hi there yes, it was the Hypos, that made me get along to the doctors to begin with, I had bought a meter as when my sister in law tested me I was high and I was having recurrent oral thrush.I had been having these low symptoms for some time just didnt know what they were, thought I was slowly dying, never made the connection until I got the meter x

Herbie72

Snodger said:
daisy3174 said:
Daisy and others, did you too used to have hypo-like symptoms before you were diabetic?

I can't remember, it's too long ago!

But I am still finding atm, that my sugars go both ways when I'm stressed. Usually, when running about late, trying to get the kids off to school, I'll get to work and find myself hypo - but again, that could just be the affect of extra physical activity.

Fallenstar

Hi Snodger!
Yes, I remember getting hypos symptoms as a kid, quiet severe before diagnosis. Full blown sweating, shaky,feeling sick...if I missed a meal.