What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: ff greek with seeds and blueberries
Yoga
L: 1 chicken thigh with green salad. Fresh leaves now cropping from the garden, so 3 seconds from growing to plate. 2 sour pickles. 2 pieces rhubarb lc cake
D: smoked mackerel pate, 1 slice lc bread, 4 lc cheese crackers

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Today for breakfast: ff greek yoghurt with a few mixed berries.
Lunch: tinned tuna with mayonnaise, celery and chopped apple
Dinner: Home made chicken tikka thighs (skins cooked separately) with salad
Dessert : Whipped up some double cream with ff cream cheese, lemon zest and juice, truvia and served with a few strawberries.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A fast breaking medium raw egg, luke warm tomato, warm toast and parsley, cold toast butter and marmalade, weetbix and apricots, ff milk and skim milk, fresh orange juice at a $300.00 approx a day private hospital where I was under observation for 24 hours. My 24 hour fast blew out to 40 hours in the end. :arghh:

9MlG3tJ.jpg

Lunch at home was eggs, bacon, steak, leftover veggies.
Dinner, Pork chops, roast veggies and gravy.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A fast breaking medium raw egg, luke warm tomato, warm toast and parsley, cold toast butter and marmalade, weetbix and apricots, ff milk and skim milk, fresh orange juice at a $300.00 approx a day private hospital where I was under observation for 24 hours. My 24 hour fast blew out to 40 hours in the end. :arghh:

9MlG3tJ.jpg

That’s a pretty shocking breakfast! Hope you’re feeling better.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

9MlG3tJ.jpg

Dire!

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
2 eggs scrambled with left-over cabbage and carrot plus some spring onion.

Later will have a sort of French style peas - peas cooked in veg stock with some shredded lettuce, but I'll leave out the potato thickener. Might add a few nuts or seeds.

valuator

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday (May 14th)

Breakfast: 2 Babybel cheese, black coffee
Lunch (12pm): Leftover grilled pork rib chop and a tomato salad
Snack (3pm): MacDonalds sausage, cheese, and egg, black coffee
Dinner (6pm): Another leftover grilled pork rib chop and a small takeaway wonton soup
Evening Snack (10pm) - 1/4 cups peanuts and a light lager

Walked 4.19km

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Leftover nettle/egg stuff in chicory leaves, again with beans and halloumi :hungry:.
I topped my chicory boats with some extra mayo to make it taste a little less 'healthy' and added smoked paprika mainly to make it look pretty :)

I still have some beans left, and half a pack of halloumi, so I'll need to think of what to have with that tomorrow.

Can someone tell me the proper name for these beans, and for the other (shorter, round and darker green) green coloured beans? Or do they interchangeably go by the names green beans or string beans?

185274014_10223496722200537_2399360284330997940_n.jpg
I would call these flat beans runner beans. They also look like an Italian one that they call Romano beans. The other green beans are narrower and need their ends trimmed off. I just refer to them as green beans apart from the French green beans (Haricot Vert) which are narrower and more tender. The other one you referred to that you have to pod I call broad beans. Usually I skin the bean itself as well as the skin can be tough.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah, it's as confusing as I feared!
The flat ones I ate today are snijbonen, the shorter round ones are sperziebonen (and if they are thinner and three times as expensive they're suddenly called haricots verts, fitting with your french beans I think). Then there is kouseband, the very long variety, well known from our former colony of Suriname, and I also love peultjes (snow peas) and sugar snaps, which I suppose are sugar snaps in both our languages.
I love tuinbonen (broad beans?) as well, but you only eat the peas from those, not the thing surrounding them.

I cant wrap my head around the interchangable names of the flat and the round ones, they taste completely different!
Meant to say, a nice easy recipe for the just green beans (haricot vert or otherwise) is cook them to whatever texture you like. Dot an ovenproof dish with bits of butter, put the beans in and scatter grated Cheddar over the top. Season with salt if required and cayenne pepper for a bit of heat. Add some cream on top (not lots). Mix then add more cheese on top, few more dots of butter and put in the oven for 20 mins.

I've also added things like onion granules or garlic granules. These beans are also nice when cooked tossed in butter and chopped garlic that's been fried. Also good when you cook off chopped pancetta and stir the beans through (garlic goes well in that too). Chopped spring onion also mixes well.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Atkins double chocolate bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner: fry up of bacon, eggs, a couple of cherry tomatoes and mushrooms followed by SF raspberry jelly, cream and LC chocolate and raspberry granola.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: a nut bar, in the car on way to a break away, yay! Freedom.
L: 2 drumsticks with green salad. 25g Godiva 72% with raspberries, to die for about 7g carbs
D: 2 drumsticks, one hard boiled egg 20g cheese and salad bits. 25g godiva with raspberries. 1 glass malbec

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
On my PC I simply go to the thread I want to link and copy whatever is in the search bar to paste it wherever I want to post.
If I want to link to a specific post I right click the number below a post to copy the link.

I have no idea how to do it on the app, but perhaps @searley knows, he uses the app :)

View attachment 49372

You can click the post number and then select share.. on iOS you can the select copy for the clipboard then you can paste that where you like

d2d4150255c30864a7e6c4bcac4d03b6.jpg

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday bed 5.8 FBG 6. DGF supply arrived today and freezer still causing issues. Think I'm in a race against time to clear the freezer before it goes totally.

B. TAG and my usual 2 slices of SLC toast with Dairylea.
L. Nothing. A very intense maths afternoon. Yesterday was fractions (not decimals). Today was decimals and percentages and how they fit with fractions. I thought he did well yesterday but he exceeded that today.
D. Tripe - my Italian version from the freezer and one of the broccoli/cauliflower souffle things (also from the freezer).
I did have 2 DGF Brookies ( never had them before; rather more ish).

@Annb - we've made huge progress with grandson. It's not the schools holding them back. The so called Curriculum for Excellence isn't even close to that. It's dreadful. I subscribed to both English and Scottish curriculums and the English one is vastly superior especially when it comes to literacy. I've told the school that although I'm trying to introduce variety, I will focus one one area if I see a gap. They're certainly not stopping me. I've been fortunate too that when they do give him work to bring home he tells me "We did this ages ago". He still does it though - very quickly!

Friday - bed 6 FBG 6.5

Was feeling a bit "off" bit of a sore throat and stuffy again! Weather is dire and cold.

B. TAG then a mad rush about getting DIL to her clinic, son on a run to recycling quick trip home before going back for grandson for a short schooling session.
L. Nothing - freezer getting worse. Now has permanent fault showing but Engineer coming Tuesday with lots of parts!
D. Smoked sausage with mustard and another souffle thing. Has a brookie and a Notella from the DGF supply. Hope the freezer gets fixed before I have to eat them all!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s a pretty shocking breakfast! Hope you’re feeling better.
I feel a lot better now, just have wait it out till I get the results in a couple of weeks and have to do it all again for the problem to be fixed.
Its not the best food I have had in a private hospital, but they made up in quantity than what you get in a public hospital for breakfast.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I slept in yesterday catching up on a bit of sleep.

Steak mushrooms tomatoes and a couple of well cooked eggs for brunchfast
Reef fish and green vegies and few chips for dinner.
A toasted cheese and onion sandwich for a snack during the evening.

Carolsam

Craig, have you not been diagnosed with diabetes yet? My son is the one who has it here, and he just found out about it. I am a borderline diabetic, but I've been borderline for years. Hoping to head off full-blown diabetes. My breakfast was greek yogurt and whole wheat cereal and almond slivers and dates (in the cereal). My oven isn't working, so it's so hard to cook for Sam. We're both trying to go low carb. It takes time to adjust, I think. Rome wasn't built overnight! My advice is to take is one day at a time.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Craig, have you not been diagnosed with diabetes yet? My son is the one who has it here, and he just found out about it. I am a borderline diabetic, but I've been borderline for years. Hoping to head off full-blown diabetes. My breakfast was greek yogurt and whole wheat cereal and almond slivers and dates (in the cereal). My oven isn't working, so it's so hard to cook for Sam. We're both trying to go low carb. It takes time to adjust, I think. Rome wasn't built overnight! My advice is to take is one day at a time.

Hi @Carolsam and welcome!

It looks like you’re trying to respond to a post by someone called Craig. Was that on another thread? I can move the post for you if you let me know which thread.