Anyone notice their BS higher since having statin increased?

Okjilly67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaners!! Cold weather, being shut in for months being without my friends and family oooops am I moaning
I realised today when checking my BS that my numbers have been gradually rising, during the first 3 months of having been diagnosed Type 2 I had managed to get them down to anything from 5 to 7.5, which DN said was excellent as I had been 24 previously. I’m on Metformin, started on 1 x 500 a day, and because my early morning test went up to 9 she decided to increase the dose to 3 x 100 a day. She also decided to increase my statin from 30 to 40 mg, as my cholesterol was over 6.
Just looking back over my log book and realised I’ve had a slow and steady rise in BS. Averaging 6 to 8 since the Atorvastatin was increased.
We do not have a dedicated DN at the practice at the moment, and GP telephone consults are few and far between.
Wondered if anyone here had any comments to make?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep.. quite a well know side effect of statins are elevated blood glucose levels.

Great reason to avoid them at all costs.

As a lady of certain years elevated cholesterol is protective.. personally I wouldn't mess with it.

J

Jillery

Hmm I’m thinking ...... what is considered more important the diabetes or dodgy arteries I’m a very low carber, not full Keto ( like a G & T) on occasions! So should I reduce anything else? Like breathing

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm I’m thinking ...... what is considered more important the diabetes or dodgy arteries I’m a very low carber, not full Keto ( like a G & T) on occasions! So should I reduce anything else? Like breathing

Yep, not to mention that a cholesterol level without ANY other tests doesn't even mean a person HAS 'dodgy arteries'. My level is a total of 7.9, made up of HDL 2.4/Trigs 0.5/LDL 4.7. There is NO other factor that tells me I have dodgy arteries, so unless they do the tests to establish whether that is the case, then it's a no from me too. Incidentally tests that I have had done with a Lipid Consultant showed that I have polygenic DNA factors, meaning eating less 'saturated fat' makes no difference whatsoever as my levels will always be higher than this so called average of under 4, in order to get MY natural levels down to that would mean taking very strong statins, no thanks. Also even my Lipid Consultant (who also said take statins!!!) said what I ate made barely any difference as whatever my body didn't get from its food it would make itself. My HDL plus trigs are almost 4 on their own too so under 4...erm, no. Topping all this off is that WHO says every single person, no matter the differences should have a level under 4 'just in case', makes no sense to me.

Reactions: ert and oldgreymare

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Taking statins allows you to live around 5 more days after major event ("their figures, not those who are anti-statin). When followed it is either 50 / 50 of the cohort that die with so called elevated cholesterol or low cholesterol, or those with lower cholesterol marginally die quicker. Statins increase the risk of diabetes (not disputed).

The low carb / keto community generally say your cholesterol level is naturally determined (circa 80 - 85% is made by the body), and that it is damaged cholesterol that is deleterious to health (carbs / sugar / vegetable oil as the match).

The mainstream view is that total cholesterol above around 5 is the problem, also saturated fat, and that we should use statins / food choices to lower.

Considering the actual facts, i'm with the low carbers; after all, the other view was on an hypothesis perpetuated by a man who was proved to have lied. His lies don't mean he may not have been right on this occasion, but on the evidence of subsequent RCT's, as well as contradictory observational / historical evidence, such as how long Hong Kong people live and community outcomes for those who eat a lot of cholesterol / fat at the very least disprove the diet heart hypothesis.

Reactions: oldgreymare

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
i was hospitalised see years back and the hospital put me on 80mg atorvastatin ant i really struggled with my BG.. i stopped the statin and my BG improved..

a couple of years ago i was re-prescribed a smaller dose of simvastatin (20mg) this seems to have little effect on my BG

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Yep.. quite a well know side effect of statins are elevated blood glucose levels.

Great reason to avoid them at all costs.

As a lady of certain years elevated cholesterol is protective.. personally I wouldn't mess with it.
Absolutely agreed. Statins can lower LDL cholesterol in postmenopausal women, but to my knowledge no studies show that this results in prolonged longevity or that statins reduces risk of cardiac disease for this population. Possibly some help for women who have already suffered a heart attack or stroke - but the blanket prescribing of statins for diabetics is IMHO obscene.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I realised today when checking my BS that my numbers have been gradually rising, during the first 3 months of having been diagnosed Type 2 I had managed to get them down to anything from 5 to 7.5, which DN said was excellent as I had been 24 previously. I’m on Metformin, started on 1 x 500 a day, and because my early morning test went up to 9 she decided to increase the dose to 3 x 100 a day. She also decided to increase my statin from 30 to 40 mg, as my cholesterol was over 6.
Just looking back over my log book and realised I’ve had a slow and steady rise in BS. Averaging 6 to 8 since the Atorvastatin was increased.
We do not have a dedicated DN at the practice at the moment, and GP telephone consults are few and far between.
Wondered if anyone here had any comments to make?
They can affect Blood Sugars. My hba1c increased from 48 at diagnosis to 54 after taking statins. When I came off them due to other side effects my BS dropped to normal levels where they have remained ever since.