Eye drops for screening test

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my first eye screening this morning and the eye drops should have worn off by now but I’m still experiencing sensitivity to light, eye strain & a headache. It’s been 7hrs since they were put in.

Does it just take longer to wear off sometimes?
The letter they gave out said to go to A&E if the blurred vision lasted more than 6hrs, it’s not too blurred now but the sensitivity & strain is making me feel ill.

I don’t feel like a trip to A&E, it’s 5pm on a Friday so seems pointless, especially if it will just be fine by tomorrow morning.

Any thoughts?

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @TashT1, you could always give 111 a ring and see what they have to say.
I'm usually fine after an hour or two but do tend to have a headache most of the day. We're all different and you might be especially sensitive to the drops. Hope you feel better soon.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It takes up to 12 hours for my eyes to recover from the drop sometimes, I think it depends on how much or many times they put the drops in, I hope your eyes recover soon

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
i always get the headache due to straining to focus.. normally goes over night.. my eyes are never quite right the same day

i actually try to get an appointment later in the day now.. so that i can have an early night and get over it..

i know other people that are ok only an hour or so later

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, I think I’ll ring 111 if it’s no better by tomorrow morning. I’ve managed to find some sunglasses and that’s helping with sensitivity. I can at least keep my eyes open now.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
its probably sensitivity to the extra light coming in rather than the drops themselves .
Rest in a darkish room might help
Hope it clears for you soon

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy to report that after an early night my eyes are more or less back to normal. Hopefully the eye drops are just a once a year thing that I can plan better for next time.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's good news, I have just had cataract surgery so I have drops 4 times a day and have to dilate my eyes every night, having the other eye done on Tuesday so will be having drops for the next 5 weeks but the good news hopefully will be no need for glasses ever again

Reactions: sleepster

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Hi, glad it's sorted itself out for you TashT1, pre-covid, I would get the drops then go and sit in the waiting area for as long as it took for another patient to have their test.
Now I will get my drops and wait in the test seat until the drops have done their thing, would they increase the dose to speed things up?
Now I seem to be out in record time.
After, I wear safety sunglasses with sun glare protection.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy to report that after an early night my eyes are more or less back to normal. Hopefully the eye drops are just a once a year thing that I can plan better for next time.
Because the eye drops sting my eyes, they do the retinopathy test without drops. Mind you, I havent had chance to have a test since January 2020.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's good news, I have just had cataract surgery so I have drops 4 times a day and have to dilate my eyes every night, having the other eye done on Tuesday so will be having drops for the next 5 weeks but the good news hopefully will be no need for glasses ever again

The idea of having eye surgery seriously freaks me out. I hope everything goes well for you and you are glasses-free in a few weeks.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, glad it's sorted itself out for you TashT1, pre-covid, I would get the drops then go and sit in the waiting area for as long as it took for another patient to have their test.
Now I will get my drops and wait in the test seat until the drops have done their thing, would they increase the dose to speed things up?
Now I seem to be out in record time.
After, I wear safety sunglasses with sun glare protection.

Everyone seemed to be out super quick, it took less than a minute to take the 4 pictures & leave. I had the 1% drops, but note there are 0.5% available sometimes. I probably didn’t do myself any favours, no sunglasses & I tried to walk home. I got half way & called a taxi. Lesson learned & a whole lot of sympathy for my youngest son who used to have similar eye tests.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The idea of having eye surgery seriously freaks me out. I hope everything goes well for you and you are glasses-free in a few weeks.
Out of all the surgeries I have had the cataract surgery last tuesday is by far the best no pain in and out in a few hours and my vision in that eye after just 2 days was perfect I am looking forward to the other eye being done next Tuesday

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Because the eye drops sting my eyes, they do the retinopathy test without drops. Mind you, I havent had chance to have a test since January 2020.
I was told previously I didn't need the drops (nice big pupils they said :D) but last time they said everyone has to have them, new regulations or something. Must just be here though?

Glad you're feeling better today @TashT1 :)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Everyone seemed to be out super quick, it took less than a minute to take the 4 pictures & leave. I had the 1% drops, but note there are 0.5% available sometimes. I probably didn’t do myself any favours, no sunglasses & I tried to walk home. I got half way & called a taxi. Lesson learned & a whole lot of sympathy for my youngest son who used to have similar eye tests.
I have a fair bit of eye treatment including eye injections and sometimes I have had an allergic reaction to certain drops and they have had to give me different ones. If I were you I would ask them next time if your reaction was an allergic one. Defo worth expIoring IMO.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m not 100% sure it was an allergy but I will def mention it next time. I knew I should have asked about the appointment on here, always the best advice!

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had a lot of eye appointments with drops and am usually ok, but on one occasion it was a new nurse putting the drops in, and she used the whole bottle between my two eyes. As a result, my pupils stayed dilated so much I couldn't bear the slit lamp shining on my eyes. Pupils stayed dilated for two days along with awful headache, light sensitivity etc.
At my next appointment, I explained what had happened last time and asked a different nurse to just put one drop in each eye. She said they had to use the whole bottle as that was the ruling. I asked to see her boss, and she agreed. I refused, saying I would take responsibility if consultant had any problems. After a lot of persuasion, they agreed, and appointment was fine.
At the next appointment the nurse said, oh we only use one drop per eye!! Everyone's sensitivity to eye drops will be different, but I'd mention it at your next appointment @TashT1

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine hurt when they are done but usually only for a few seconds and just assumed they do for everyone. I thought they had to have them dilated to check.properly so that's interesting they can without

I'm already highly light sensitive anyway so I am generally unable to function in any sunlight after even with sunglasses so just make sure I am chauffered

Given my father lost his sight due to diabetic complications I feel it's a minor impact of a day that is important to put up with

Usually takes a good half a day until I can read again and the sensitivity goes

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine hurt when they are done but usually only for a few seconds and just assumed they do for everyone. I thought they had to have them dilated to check.properly so that's interesting they can without

I'm already highly light sensitive anyway so I am generally unable to function in any sunlight after even with sunglasses so just make sure I am chauffered

Given my father lost his sight due to diabetic complications I feel it's a minor impact of a day that is important to put up with

Usually takes a good half a day until I can read again and the sensitivity goes
Mine were red and the skin around my eyes had raised blisters and burned. Within moments. The skin peeled and took several days to heal, and my eyeballs were bloodshot for days. It was not nice. The nurse flushed my eyes out as soon as it happened, and I went back for the test a few weeks later. Since then I dont have the drops.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wear prescription sunglassess after getting eyes drops even indoors at home till the effects of them have finally worn offf. Normall this has taken around eight hours at most.

If you refuse eye drops here you will not get your eyes checked, whether this is at a ophthalmologist, or the local optometrist where I go to.