Diabetes & Thrush

Doireallyneedanams

I had “suspected” borderline gestational diabetes in my pregnancy, hba1c at almost full term was 33 & follow ups have been 30 & 31.

Last hba1c was about 6 weeks ago, however I’ve just been to see the nurse re some gynae issues and she believes I have thrush, suggested we check for diabetes. When I told her I’d had an hba1c about 6 weeks ago she then said no need.

Surely it’s highly unlikely I’ve developed diabetes in 6 weeks? Doesn’t thrush come with wildly uncontrolled glucose? I’m panicking now as a diabetes diagnosis has been on my mind since GD anyway.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Type 1 diabetes can come on very quickly so it's worth checking out.

Doireallyneedanams

Sorry, I thought you said you had thrush which is a symptom of diabetes.
I hope you manage to sort it out.

oh yes, apart from that! I am fairly certain I know how that happened though, and it involved a new heavily concentrated fabric softener. She classed it as “recurrent” but since it had it about a month ago I am more inclined to think that the over the counter stuff simply didn’t get rid of it properly.

I think I’m going to pay for a private OGTT, I eat low carb so my hba1c’s may not be giving a true representation of any intolerance I’ve got anyway.

Reactions: In Response

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had “suspected” borderline gestational diabetes in my pregnancy, hba1c at almost full term was 33 & follow ups have been 30 & 31.

Last hba1c was about 6 weeks ago, however I’ve just been to see the nurse re some gynae issues and she believes I have thrush, suggested we check for diabetes. When I told her I’d had an hba1c about 6 weeks ago she then said no need.

Surely it’s highly unlikely I’ve developed diabetes in 6 weeks? Doesn’t thrush come with wildly uncontrolled glucose? I’m panicking now as a diabetes diagnosis has been on my mind since GD anyway.
Your HbA1c levels are way outside the diagnostic levels for diabetes of any kind.