Frightened of food!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My own regime is to eat one meal a day, usually around 5pm, then if I am under 5 just before bed I'll have a 15 carb snack. For my main meal I sometimes have carbier things and if this keeps me a little higher for 3 hours instead of 2, then I mentally offset that against the other 23 hours of steady levels. We are ALL different and we all have our own little ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brillpaul and JMoli

Bewildered

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My own regime is to eat one meal a day, usually around 5pm, then if I am under 5 just before bed I'll have a 15 carb snack. For my main meal I sometimes have carbier things and if this keeps me a little higher for 3 hours instead of 2, then I mentally offset that against the other 23 hours of steady levels. We are ALL different and we all have out own little ways.
I was reading some threads about fasting and noticed all the ones I read were type 2, wondered how type 1 managed this? I work 9-5 and a lot of driving so I’ve been avoiding hypo by keeping higher than 7 (I know it’s 5 but sometimes an appointment takes longer than planned and I can finish late)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was reading some threads about fasting and noticed all the ones I read were type 2, wondered how type 1 managed this? I work 9-5 and a lot of driving so I’ve been avoiding hypo by keeping higher than 7 (I know it’s 5 but sometimes an appointment takes longer than planned and I can finish late)

Hi there, well we all manage it differently of course, I work shifts 24/7 and as long as my basal is right (which it is at the moment) then when I'm not eating there's no need for me to take insulin so less chance of a swing upwards or downwards. To be honest I've always tended to have just one meal a day due to shifts & preference. I have a libre now too, so a few scans along the way helps too. My job involves driving as well so I just test before I zoom off, I do carry hypo treatments with me and if I'm busy and notice it's dropping a bit then I eat a sweet or similar. x

Reactions: Bewildered

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My own regime is to eat one meal a day, usually around 5pm, then if I am under 5 just before bed I'll have a 15 carb snack. For my main meal I sometimes have carbier things and if this keeps me a little higher for 3 hours instead of 2, then I mentally offset that against the other 23 hours of steady levels. We are ALL different and we all have out own little ways.

It’s so true, I love reading how other T1s eat. We all kind of find our own way don’t we x

Reactions: erin40 and KK123

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am having a difficult time at the moment, much like many people. I’m feeling overwhelmed. After 5 years of being told i am type 2 and arguing that this didn’t fit, i was diagnosed with LADA a bit over a year ago. Initially i had some hospital appointments but these were stopped due to the pandemic and i feel totally abandoned. I had a review 8 weeks ago and was told that the form i submitted for the DAFNE course was never processed or received - hence I haven’t had the course offer... my Lantas was increased and told i would get a call in two weeks to see how i was doing. After two weeks i called the hospital and said i would be available any time in the next two weeks as i had leave, now eight weeks on, still no call. My levels are high, i have hypos, I have put on so much weight - 3.5stone since my near death experience with DKA (BMI 18) that finally made the medics listen and do the test for type 1. Scared to eat, so I don’t, until i eat chocolate... when i am feeling low. Yesterday i had a private consultation with a dietician, i asked for a list of meals so that I don’t have to think about food, just pick off a list and go. I got back a list of different ingredients i may like to try eg flax seeds, change chocolate for nuts and then a few links to recipes on bbc website. What????
As a type 2 I cut carbs but then when i was put on insulin i got so excited i had a banana, and i had toast with marmite! I hate food, i hate thinking about food, i hate that i can’t just pop a pill with full nutrients. I have high cholesterol (5.2 - not high but high for a diabetic), i am anaemic, my HbA1c is 84, i have an under active thyroid (controlled by medication) and probably menopausal for good measure. I am so tired of it all. I keep trying then it all seems too much. I have added more exercise and of course the levels jump around with this too. Please tell me some positive things I can do that don’t feel like a hurdle or mountain.

Hi

You have had lots of lovely replies, but I thought I would mention a few things. Are you on fast acting insulin as well as Lantas? Or have you not been given this yet? I would keep chasing that appointment. You mention that you also have hypothyroidism, I also have Hashimotos disease (a type of hypothyroidism) a few years back I paid to see an endocrinologist as I was at my wits end and he told me your metabolism relies on the correct amount of insulin, thyroxine and cortisol interacting properly to function correctly. If you have put weight on have you had your TSH checked recently? Although the range is 0.5 to 5 he told me to stay healthy it shouldn’t be high than 2.5 Your Levothyroxine will work much better if taken before bed rather than in the morning, when do you currently take it?
I have had terrible trouble with food and although type 1 LADA and not insulin resistant I just cannot eat many carbs as I spike too badly and if I increase my insulin I then have a bad hypo. The book I have found most helpful and have most success with is
This one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Low-Carb-D...1621373705&sprefix=Emma+porter,aps,163&sr=8-1

I am sure there are lots of good books but for me personally this works the best.

I also read Dr Bernstein diabetes solution book which I saw many people on this site follow and it really helped me understand a lot of issues Glad you posted when having a bad day, it’s good to help each other out especially at the moment when it’s so difficult to get an appointment.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Bernstein+diabetes&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Bewildered

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

You have had lots of lovely replies, but I thought I would mention a few things. Are you on fast acting insulin as well as Lantas? Or have you not been given this yet? I would keep chasing that appointment. You mention that you also have hypothyroidism, I also have Hashimotos disease (a type of hypothyroidism) a few years back I paid to see an endocrinologist as I was at my wits end and he told me your metabolism relies on the correct amount of insulin, thyroxine and cortisol interacting properly to function correctly. If you have put weight on have you had your TSH checked recently? Although the range is 0.5 to 5 he told me to stay healthy it shouldn’t be high than 2.5 Your Levothyroxine will work much better if taken before bed rather than in the morning, when do you currently take it?
I have had terrible trouble with food and although type 1 LADA and not insulin resistant I just cannot eat many carbs as I spike too badly and if I increase my insulin I then have a bad hypo. The book I have found most helpful and have most success with is
This one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Low-Carb-Diabetes-Cookbook-delicious-diabetes/dp/1785041401/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2HUDCYN71BZ31&dchild=1&keywords=emma+porter+low+carb+diabetes+cookbook&qid=1621373705&sprefix=Emma+porter,aps,163&sr=8-1

I am sure there are lots of good books but for me personally this works the best.

I also read Dr Bernstein diabetes solution book which I saw many people on this site follow and it really helped me understand a lot of issues Glad you posted when having a bad day, it’s good to help each other out especially at the moment when it’s so difficult to get an appointment.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Bernstein+diabetes&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
Wow thank you for this response, yes the replies have been so helpful. I arranged an appointment with the DN for 8 am this morning before I start work - no call. The difficulty for me is that they call randomly and I am a community psychiatric nurse so cant take calls when working.
I have Lantas and novorapid, apparently my thyroid function is fine but it hasn’t felt like it so i have slightly increased my dose (it’s 5), hasn’t heard about taking Levo at night though..... interesting.
I will definitely take a look at that book. And i am going to self-check my basal this weekend, seeing as the Nurse isn’t available looks like I will be my own!
BW x

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow thank you for this response, yes the replies have been so helpful. I arranged an appointment with the DN for 8 am this morning before I start work - no call. The difficulty for me is that they call randomly and I am a community psychiatric nurse so cant take calls when working.
I have Lantas and novorapid, apparently my thyroid function is fine but it hasn’t felt like it so i have slightly increased my dose (it’s 5), hasn’t heard about taking Levo at night though..... interesting.
I will definitely take a look at that book. And i am going to self-check my basal this weekend, seeing as the Nurse isn’t available looks like I will be my own!
BW x
In the information included with my Thyroxine tablets is advises that it be taken in the morning.
I find that taking the tablets later - which I have done when I've forgotten them earlier, - results in night terrors - I am prone to nightmares anyway, but waking up, opening my eyes and seeing things which can't possibly be there is not at all pleasant.

erin40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Bewildered, I've had good results with barley. Especially pot barley has a lot of nutrients, and it's the most low glycemic of all grains. Also hummus and beans works well for me, as well as peas and (sometimes) carrots. I get the bulk of my starch from these sources. Anything more sugary, like bread, rice, oatmeal or quinoa would throw me off a lot. (I am not on insulin, though.)

Chocolate-wise, I drink cocoa powder in boiled water with a bit of milk, no sugar added. A sugary taste can be gotten from full fat coconut milk, which I sometimes use.

All of the other low carb foods are easy, like the low carb veggies and meat, cheese etc. But, bottom line, I've found barley to be a big help.

Good luck!